Outer Limits 2.0 still holds up today. Great storytelling!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I decided to do an Outer Limits 2.0 rewatch starting from the first season forward. LOTS of great storytelling in this series. Each episode is like a mini movie, and they are all separate episodes with no recurring characters. That means that all character development and interpersonal stuff had to be kept at a minimum to make the story fit into an hour. GREAT STORIES!

There are more than a few science fiction stories in those 7 seasons. :) I see Brad Wright and Glassener as writers on many of the episodes. This was before they did SG-1. But there are lots more writers involved in this. I love anthologies, and that describes what Outer Limits is.

Worth a rewatch if you havent seen it in a while. It will give you your scifi-fantasy fix. :)

slide.jpg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I look back fondly at a lot of scifi/supernatural type shows from the 90's. Compared to the crap produced today I feel like we took the 90's shows for granted. Sure many of them were cheap Canadian productions but they seemed better written and produced than the cheap Canadian stuff today. Some may disagree but there's no comparison to the writing of those older shows compared to the teen angst crapola we get today.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I look back fondly at a lot of scifi/supernatural type shows from the 90's. Compared to the crap produced today I feel like we took the 90's shows for granted. Sure many of them were cheap Canadian productions but they seemed better written and produced than the cheap Canadian stuff today. Some may disagree but there's no comparison to the writing of those older shows compared to the teen angst crapola we get today.

At the end of Season 1 in the last episode, we see Don Davis in a General's uniform. For me, that was the first time ever seeing him on TV. No doubt Brad Wright and Glassener chose him for the role of General Hammond as a result of that episode. It was a compilation episode, taking scenes and snippets from several episodes in season 1...even Sandkings. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
At the end of Season 1 in the last episode, we see Don Davis in a General's uniform. For me, that was the first time ever seeing him on TV. No doubt Brad Wright and Glassener chose him for the role of General Hammond as a result of that episode. It was a compilation episode, taking scenes and snippets from several episodes in season 1...even Sandkings. :)

OMG, "Sandkings", lol! :icon_lol: I don't think I've seen that episode (episodes wasn't it? two of them?) since they originally aired back in the 90's, but I know exactly what story you're talking about.

See, that's what I mean about the writing being so much better back then. I don't get why TV show writing has gone to crap since then.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Don't get me wrong, I loved SG 1 also, but Don Davis is known for this little Canada Moment

where he tried to shoot down Sam Steele of the North-West Mounties.

Aren't you saying that Beau Bridges played in the first Outer Limits 2.0 show: Sand Kings, or did Don Davis play in this show also?

Oh, my God! I can't spell, or cut and paste. I must be truly getting old.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Don't get me wrong, I loved SG 1 also, but Don Davis is known for this little Canada Moment

where he tried to shoot down Sam Steele of the North-West Mounties.

Aren't you saying that Beau Bridges played in the first Outer Limits 2.0 show: Sand Kings, or did Don Davis play in this show also?

Oh, my God! I can't spell, or cut and paste. I must be truly getting old.

In episode 22 of season 1 "Voice of Reason" (Brad Wright/Glassener), they do a story which ties together several of the episodes of season 1. In that episode, Don Davis is a general who sits on a secret committee. Part of the issues they are discussing involve the Sandkings (episodes 1&2 which opened this series), as well as other creatures in later episodes. It was brilliant work in terms of tying things together.

Don Davis in that general's uniform was the exact picture of General Hammond, although in that episode he was only a one star general and his name was General Callahan. :) I never heard of him before that...Im not Canadian!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Brad can write great "action adventure".
I despise the dude for his self righteousness, but I will never say he cannot write within his sphere.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I despise the dude for his self righteousness, but I will never say he cannot write within his sphere.

I completely agree. He is actually at his best in Outer Limits, I think. Unlike Stargate SG-1 and the others, the stories in Outer Limits are all separate stories, different characters, no established canon...essentially the TV equivalent of a great science fiction anthology (my favorite form) of different authors, stories and characters. It forced better, more efficient storytelling. The Stephen Hawkings Masters of Science Fiction series cant hold a candle to it. :)

And Im not forgetting the original Outer Limits either. :)

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
In episode 22 of season 1 "Voice of Reason" (Brad Wright/Glassener), they do a story which ties together several of the episodes of season 1. In that episode, Don Davis is a general who sits on a secret committee. Part of the issues they are discussing involve the Sandkings (episodes 1&2 which opened this series), as well as other creatures in later episodes. It was brilliant work in terms of tying things together.

Don Davis in that general's uniform was the exact picture of General Hammond, although in that episode he was only a one star general and his name was General Callahan. :) I never heard of him before that...Im not Canadian!

I'd never heard of him before that ... and I grew up in Canada!

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan

I forgot to mention that "Sandkings" was written by a broken down writer who went by the name of G.R.R. Martin.

(up to page #15.)

This may not seem cute to you, but this comes from his "Twin Peaks" work.
Believe me, if I thought that this site was over flowing with Canadians I would not of mentioned the Don S. Davis vignette. From what I remember, the TV episode "Sandkings" was highly praised for its time.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I forgot to mention that "Sandkings" was written by a broken down writer who went by the name of G.R.R. Martin.

Believe me, if I thought that this site was over flowing with Canadians I would not of mention the Don S. Davus vignette. From what I rember the TV episode "Sandkings" was highly praised for its time.

Yes, it was...and that broken down writer also wrote Game of Thrones. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

He can also unhinge his jaw and swallow a small child whole. What's your point? :daniel_new004:

037-Stargate-Vancouver-2011-Brad-Wright.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
In season 2, we have one scifi episode which had Wil Wheaton (TNG), Robert Patrick (T2) and Michael Dorn (Worf) in the same episode. :) Another one starred Ally Sheedy and yet another one starred Mark Hamill. :) Just wow. Oh, and Wesley blew up the earth, btw. :icon_lol:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
In season 2, we have one scifi episode which had Wil Wheaton (TNG), Robert Patrick (T2) and Michael Dorn (Worf) in the same episode. :) Another one starred Ally Sheedy and yet another one starred Mark Hamill. :) Just wow. Oh, and Wesley blew up the earth, btw. :icon_lol:

Have you seen the Cold Fusion one yet?

Red Mage

Boney
I'm sad that they really don't make anthology shows anymore. I get why networks don't green light them anymore because the production costs of hiring new actors and building new sets for each episode probably is much more than locking down 1 set cast of characters and sets. The last one I remember seeing on TV was Night Visions on Fox and it only lasted one season and I think that was over 10 years ago. That show is pretty interesting too with some real standout episodes. After the Outer Limits, I recommend checking it out as long as are interested in a horror anthology series. Sadly, there's no dvd release for Night Visions nor is it available to stream legally anywhere as far as I know. Youtube and torrent is the only way to go.

I like the Outer Limits alot. Outside of the Twilight Zone it might be my favorite anthology series with Tales from the Crypt as #3. Be warned the quality definitely doesn't remain as strong throughout all the seasons. I did a marathon run through the series a year or two ago. It's no small endeavor, it took months to get through the whole series. The show starts to decline in quality midway season 4 and Season 5 + 6 are fairly weak in my opinion but there are some really good episodes in the later seasons so I still recommend watching them. I don't try to compare Season 7 with the rest of the series because the show changed networks from Showtime to Sci Fi. I personally think season 7 is a noticeable step up from season 5 + 6 but many people hate it. Think Like a Dinosaur from season 7 may be one of the best episodes out of all 7 seasons. Be on the look out for Stargate actors on the show,quite a few actors from the OL actor pool made it into the Stargate series. SG-1 SGA and even SGU are all represented on the show.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm sad that they really don't make anthology shows anymore. I get why networks don't green light them anymore because the production costs of hiring new actors and building new sets for each episode probably is much more than locking down 1 set cast of characters and sets. The last one I remember seeing on TV was Night Visions on Fox and it only lasted one season and I think that was over 10 years ago. That show is pretty interesting too with some real standout episodes. After the Outer Limits, I recommend checking it out as long as are interested in a horror anthology series. Sadly, there's no dvd release for Night Visions nor is it available to stream legally anywhere as far as I know. Youtube and torrent is the only way to go.

I like the Outer Limits alot. Outside of the Twilight Zone it might be my favorite anthology series with Tales from the Crypt as #3. Be warned the quality definitely doesn't remain as strong throughout all the seasons. I did a marathon run through the series a year or two ago. It's no small endeavor, it took months to get through the whole series. The show starts to decline in quality midway season 4 and Season 5 + 6 are fairly weak in my opinion but there are some really good episodes in the later seasons so I still recommend watching them. I don't try to compare Season 7 with the rest of the series because the show changed networks from Showtime to Sci Fi. I personally think season 7 is a noticeable step up from season 5 + 6 but many people hate it. Think Like a Dinosaur from season 7 may be one of the best episodes out of all 7 seasons. Be on the look out for Stargate actors on the show,quite a few actors from the OL actor pool made it into the Stargate series. SG-1 SGA and even SGU are all represented on the show.

Yeah, Twilight Zone is my favorite too. :) These anthology shows are a showcase for real storytellers. Every year I buy the Best of Science Fiction anthology at Barnes and Noble. You never know what is in there and there are always awesome stories. Since Masters of Science Fiction (which had only one short 6 episode season :() it seems like they are gone for a while. I remember Night Visions too. :) I never got into Tales of the Crypt that much, but the stories were good. I think that one is ripe for a rewatch since I have not seen all the episodes like the others. :)

I like the fact that Outer Limits (my copies) all have Sci Fi Channel and not Syfy. :smiley_joy:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I decided to do an Outer Limits 2.0 rewatch starting from the first season forward. LOTS of great storytelling in this series. Each episode is like a mini movie, and they are all separate episodes with no recurring characters. That means that all character development and interpersonal stuff had to be kept at a minimum to make the story fit into an hour. GREAT STORIES!

There are more than a few science fiction stories in those 7 seasons. :) I see Brad Wright and Glassener as writers on many of the episodes. This was before they did SG-1. But there are lots more writers involved in this. I love anthologies, and that describes what Outer Limits is.

Worth a rewatch if you havent seen it in a while. It will give you your scifi-fantasy fix. :)

View attachment 29500

Was it this series that had an ep where technology was put on trial by people of the future? It is sketchy, but I remember the ep-can't remember the series though

Red Mage

Boney
Was it this series that had an ep where technology was put on trial by people of the future? It is sketchy, but I remember the ep-can't remember the series though

Sounds like Se6ep 21 and 22 Final Appeal (part 1 and 2) which was the shows series finale before sci fi picked it up for season 7. It's actually a sequel to another episode Stitch in Time. Not as good as its predecessor episode.