Netflix Greenlights New Time-Travel Drama Travelers From Brad Wright

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay I restarted my computer and I can see it now. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's like spaceship windows made out of glass...that can crack. :anim_59:

I can forgive certain things I see in older scifi because of the times they were written. Things like using flip switches and dials, seeting spinning tape reels and such. But even those shows did not refer to stuff like banks, insurance companies or police precincts (in the traditional sense). You never see cords on stuff either. Making these FBI agents into just Law Enforcement (with a different name like Temporal Agents), that would work. But FBI agents? Really? 20 years from now, nobody will remember Oldsmobile automobiles. They stopped making them in 2004, but people are still driving them and people our age remember Olds. 20 years from now, nobody will. So, it would have been dumb for somebody writing scifi to make automobiles for the future and then put the Oldsmobile brand on them. Fortunately, nobody did. FBI is a particular organization specific to the United States. The US in no way is guaranteed to exist centuries from now, let alone still having an FBI.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Maybe this is a different "FBI".

Could be it stands for "Fraternal Brotherood of Introspectionists"....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Maybe this is a different "FBI".

Could be it stands for "Fraternal Brotherood of Introspectionists"....

We are talking about Brad Wright here. :) Mister Appropriation of existing ideas Himself. Your imagination is light years ahead of his. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It would be potentially funny though, a time traveling organization devoted to the continual examination of their own mental and emotional processes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It would be potentially funny though, a time traveling organization devoted to the continual examination of their own mental and emotional processes.

I's definitely going to give it a try. I am not expecting much from what has been revealed so far, but I will give it a chance. If Fear the Boring Drama gets a chance, then Brad's show gets it's chance too.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
LOL...Communications Stones 2.0 (plus time travel)?:

The story follows a team of FBI agents from centuries into our future, who have the capability of sending their conscious minds back in time to the twenty-first century.

This sounds like the Communication Stones concept to me, only with time travel. I wonder why Netflix picked it up sight unseen? Brad talks a good game and he has a long history with Stargate and productions so they may have just "taken his word for it" to go with the project. Does not sound that interesting to me, but who knows? I suspended my Netflix account in November.

Some Stargate veterans are on the show behind the camera, including Amanda Tapping. GateWorld wrote up a good article here:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2016/...time-travel-drama-travelers-from-brad-wright/

You bet it will be like this episode

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
roflbot (6).jpg

SerenityS

GateFans Member
These ‘travelers’ assume the lives of seemingly random people, while secretly working as teams to perform missions in order to save humanity from a terrible future. These travelers are: FBI Special Agent Grant MacLaren (McCormack), the team’s leader; Marcy (Porter), a young, intellectually disabled woman in the care of her social worker, David (Gilmore); Trevor (Abrahamson), a high school quarterback; Carly (Cooper), a single mom in an abusive relationship; and Philip (Dolman), a heroin-addicted college student.

Armed only with their
knowledge of history and an archive of social media profiles, the travelers discover that 21st century lives and relationships are as much a challenge as their high-stakes missions. (from the Gateworld article)

The above description of the characters they are sending back to "save the world" certainly inspires confidence... Another example of the "wrong people?"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
These ‘travelers’ assume the lives of seemingly random people, while secretly working as teams to perform missions in order to save humanity from a terrible future. These travelers are: FBI Special Agent Grant MacLaren (McCormack), the team’s leader; Marcy (Porter), a young, intellectually disabled woman in the care of her social worker, David (Gilmore); Trevor (Abrahamson), a high school quarterback; Carly (Cooper), a single mom in an abusive relationship; and Philip (Dolman), a heroin-addicted college student.

Armed only with their
knowledge of history and an archive of social media profiles, the travelers discover that 21st century lives and relationships are as much a challenge as their high-stakes missions. (from the Gateworld article)

The above description of the characters they are sending back to "save the world" certainly inspires confidence... Another example of the "wrong people?"

He has re-wrapped the Communications Stones concept, as I said earlier. It is a failed premise that will never catch on as scifi. It is a big reason why Stargate Universe could not use them as a core element in the show. I think Brad envisioned the concept as being based in science instead of fantasy, and therein lies the problem. In order to "transport" somebody's consciousness, there has to be a framework of some sort. Even in the TOS episode "Spock's Brain", the physical brain had to be removed to transfer consciousness into the computer system. In the Janice Lester episode, the consciousnesses swapped bodies TEMPORARILY, after a process requiring both persons to be connected directly to the machine. It works as an invasion premise involving takeovers of a body to facilitate control, but that cannot be turned into a tool like a transporter. It's just lame.

The concept is dead no matter how he wants to package it. I can believe he sold the idea to Netflix verbally, but audiences won't be thrilled IMO.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's this

8f572c4c7455fda5e82615beddffee76.jpg PortalThumb.jpg

I do not see a match there. Brad really thought the comm stone idea was "cool". He used that exact word when describing it in the interview about SGU before it aired. The feedback from the fans during Season 1 were largely about those stones too. But when you think about it, the need to have those stones in the show in order to use cheap locales on earth was a must have and so the stones stayed, even though he tried to address the other issues like the lack of science and no team concept.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
He has re-wrapped the Communications Stones concept, as I said earlier. It is a failed premise that will never catch on as scifi. It is a big reason why Stargate Universe could not use them as a core element in the show. I think Brad envisioned the concept as being based in science instead of fantasy, and therein lies the problem. In order to "transport" somebody's consciousness, there has to be a framework of some sort. Even in the TOS episode "Spock's Brain", the physical brain had to be removed to transfer consciousness into the computer system. In the Janice Lester episode, the consciousnesses swapped bodies TEMPORARILY, after a process requiring both persons to be connected directly to the machine. It works as an invasion premise involving takeovers of a body to facilitate control, but that cannot be turned into a tool like a transporter. It's just lame.

The concept is dead no matter how he wants to package it. I can believe he sold the idea to Netflix verbally, but audiences won't be thrilled IMO.

Yes, the idea of taking over someone else's consciousness via temporal "wifi" is laughable. Consciousness is an individual thing. Each of us forms our own neural pathways over a lifetime and those pathways are exclusive to ourselves. Or, in simpler terms, our brains are like snowflakes, no two are exactly alike. Therefore the premise of someone putting their consciousness (via radio waves no less) into our brains is ridiculous as it wouldn't be possible. Their consciousness wouldn't jibe with our brains. (And what happens to our consciousness when theirs takes over? It just lays down and goes to sleep??? Whatever. :rolleye0014:)

This TV show premise is just plain stupid. Scifi viewers are much more savvy and discerning nowadays. They won't put up with completely illogical premises for long before tuning out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
What device did Spock use to store his Katra McCoy again....................

scorpion escalator fail.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What device did Spock use to store his Katra McCoy again....................

View attachment 32837

Spock's Katra is not the same as a complete consciousness. He imprinted it into McCoy's brain using the full strength of his being before death. Anyone who has had a traumatic event happen to them which imprints an indelible memory can relate to the katra concept. When Spock's Katra was united with his Genesis body, Spock had to relearn much of what he lost in the process (on Vulcan). It is not the same, and it was not a regular occurance in any of the series of Star Trek to routinely displace one's consciousness. Brad Wright is using it as a plot device like he did with the comm stones in SGU and that is the fail. Adding in a temporal component is double the fail.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Spock's Katra is not the same as a complete consciousness. He imprinted it into McCoy's brain using the full strength of his being before death. Anyone who has had a traumatic event happen to them which imprints an indelible memory can relate to the katra concept. When Spock's Katra was united with his Genesis body, Spock had to relearn much of what he lost in the process (on Vulcan). It is not the same, and it was not a regular occurance in any of the series of Star Trek to routinely displace one's consciousness. Brad Wright is using it as a plot device like he did with the comm stones in SGU and that is the fail. Adding in a temporal component is double the fail.

Yup, there was a whole mind meld thing going on there with Spock and McCoy. The Vulcan mind meld ability was carried out through physical contact between the parties involved. It wasn't done via "temporal wifi". It wasn't done via "psychic sub-space". There had to be actual physical contact. They established this clearly in TOS.