Netflix Greenlights New Time-Travel Drama Travelers From Brad Wright

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
It's this

View attachment 32826 View attachment 32827

I do not see a match there. Brad really thought the comm stone idea was "cool". He used that exact word when describing it in the interview about SGU before it aired. The feedback from the fans during Season 1 were largely about those stones too. But when you think about it, the need to have those stones in the show in order to use cheap locales on earth was a must have and so the stones stayed, even though he tried to address the other issues like the lack of science and no team concept.

He needed some kind of magical concept to tie in an interactive story line involving everyone back home in near real-time.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Ugh...I think this is Brad's attempt at doing something new with his concept that consciousness is something which can be packaged and sent, transmitted, transferred, etc etc. It is a lame concept and no science can back it up even theoretically. And he combines that with time travel which is impossible as well? It is not even cool. Why not make it more magical and give it a backdrop of say...a magical being which has no body and inhabits others in different times and locales?

I'm gonna skip this one without even giving it a try.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Ugh...I think this is Brad's attempt at doing something new with his concept that consciousness is something which can be packaged and sent, transmitted, transferred, etc etc. It is a lame concept and no science can back it up even theoretically. And he combines that with time travel which is impossible as well? It is not even cool. Why not make it more magical and give it a backdrop of say...a magical being which has no body and inhabits others in different times and locales?

I'm gonna skip this one without even giving it a try.
Time travel is possible, but with what we know so far, it is impossible today, though with the understanding of our knowledge today, we can only travel back in time in between other realities not our own. Of course this is all theoretical physics i.e. theory of relativity but so quantum computers were imaginary as well and were proven to be 'impossible' but they've got one running.

Anyway, you are right. This show seems like a B grade/generic cut and paste cop show. I think Brad's input must have been very little in this, or it could be that he simply got bored of writing, but he did write this. You can't deny that this episode below was one of the best episode in Science Fantasy/Fiction history, but sadly ironic. It maybe silly, but it shows how intelligent the writers are/were. Something happened in the world which we put a stop to this sort of sophisticated writing and the acting was top notch. I would pay money to have this as a regular show. You only saw this sort of writing with reboot(1994).
This is the sad irony of the scene below. The writers/actors actually agreed with following lines

Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

Oh my the above clip is so relevant today. Worth a watch.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Time travel is possible, but with what we know so far, it is impossible today, though with the understanding of our knowledge today, we can only travel back in time in between other realities not our own. Of course this is all theoretical physics i.e. theory of relativity but so quantum computers were imaginary as well and were proven to be 'impossible' but they've got one running.

Okay right off the bat we have to establish one thing: Time travel is NOT possible. It is not possible even if you have the infinite power of a million suns to work with. This is a scientific reality, not an assumption or a theory. It is not theoretically, mathematically or physically possible. The reason is that time itself does not exist. It is a construct based upon the human perception of reality as beings which have a sleep cycle which itself is based in planetary rotation which gives us "day and night". You cannot find any support in the scientific world where time travel is possible. The past is passed. It cannot be revisited. And the future does not exist. Only the present is real. The past is perceived only as a memory in the mind of a human, captured in a photograph or preserved in some artificial way. It no longer exists.

Second, it is now generally known in the scientific community that the speed of light is NOT constant. That alone destroys the equations Einstein used to come up with much of his special theory of relativity (which is only a theory). The fact that time travel is not possible is why I do not like shows which center around it. But I do find it interesting to play with the concept.

Anyway, you are right. This show seems like a B grade/generic cut and paste cop show. I think Brad's input must have been very little in this, or it could be that he simply got bored of writing, but he did write this. You can't deny that this episode below was one of the best episode in Science Fantasy/Fiction history, but sadly ironic. It maybe silly, but it shows how intelligent the writers are/were. Something happened in the world which we put a stop to this sort of sophisticated writing and the acting was top notch. I would pay money to have this as a regular show. You only saw this sort of writing with reboot(1994).
This is the sad irony of the scene below. The writers/actors actually agreed with following lines

Oh my the above clip is so relevant today. Worth a watch.

Love that clip!

Okay, I broke down and decided to give this a try and I was right. It is lame. In the first episode we see the process where the consciousness is transferred at the "time of death" which is displayed on the screen as the individual is coming to or at the moment of death. It is literally a clock, and it says "Reported Time of Death", right down to seconds. This is IMPOSSIBLE. Reported time of death is not the same as death. And the person in this show dies, then instantly is inhabited by a new consciousness which magically heals the body (evidently). We see a mentally challenged woman hit her head hard enough to crack her skull, and she begins dying from that impact, but then she goes outside where there are three men attacking her, and the clock says she will die in 3....2...1, then she gets up and kicks all three of their asses and is no longer retarded? Ridiculous.

This show is lame. Loved that clip though!

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Okay right off the bat we have to establish one thing: Time travel is NOT possible. It is not possible even if you have the infinite power of a million suns to work with. This is a scientific reality, not an assumption or a theory. It is not theoretically, mathematically or physically possible. The reason is that time itself does not exist. It is a construct based upon the human perception of reality as beings which have a sleep cycle which itself is based in planetary rotation which gives us "day and night". You cannot find any support in the scientific world where time travel is possible. The past is passed. It cannot be revisited. And the future does not exist. Only the present is real. The past is perceived only as a memory in the mind of a human, captured in a photograph or preserved in some artificial way. It no longer exists.

Second, it is now generally known in the scientific community that the speed of light is NOT constant. That alone destroys the equations Einstein used to come up with much of his special theory of relativity (which is only a theory). The fact that time travel is not possible is why I do not like shows which center around it. But I do find it interesting to play with the concept.

Love that clip!

Okay, I broke down and decided to give this a try and I was right. It is lame. In the first episode we see the process where the consciousness is transferred at the "time of death" which is displayed on the screen as the individual is coming to or at the moment of death. It is literally a clock, and it says "Reported Time of Death", right down to seconds. This is IMPOSSIBLE. Reported time of death is not the same as death. And the person in this show dies, then instantly is inhabited by a new consciousness which magically heals the body (evidently). We see a mentally challenged woman hit her head hard enough to crack her skull, and she begins dying from that impact, but then she goes outside where there are three men attacking her, and the clock says she will die in 3....2...1, then she gets up and kicks all three of their asses and is no longer retarded? Ridiculous.

This show is lame. Loved that clip though!

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Cool videos, but they change nothing. Time travel is impossible. That is because time itself does not exist. Only change. But you will have to go beyond YouTube, TV and movies to know that. The physics community has just recently reaffirmed this fact.

https://mic.com/articles/147150/phy...backward-time-travel-is-impossible#.Vq7zI3ryh

There cannot be a time machine, because there is no such thing as time. The only reason you think you perceive time is because you experience life on a rotating planet which delineates day from night and provides a regular interval (which is based only upon the rotation of this particular planet in a 24 hour period). Plus, we sleep.Time as we think we perceive it is only change happening in the present. The past can only exist as a recording, a memory, a data record or a picture. Once the present changes, it becomes passed and no longer exists.

This is not really an argument or a theory, it's just plain scientific fact. Mankind created the construct of time. You can pick moments on a timeline and measure your time based upon many cyclical intervals in nature. Rotation of your home planet, of a moon, of a system around a galactic center, etc etc etc. But time itself does not exist.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So the variable speed of light hypothesis has been put on Wikipedia? Great! I am glad Einstein was mentioned prominently in the article, since it was he who originally introduced the variable speed of light in his equations. But using the variable ruined the beauty of many of his other calculations involving relativity so he cheated and made it a constant. There are no constants in this universe.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Cool videos, but they change nothing. Time travel is impossible. That is because time itself does not exist. Only change. But you will have to go beyond YouTube, TV and movies to know that. The physics community has just recently reaffirmed this fact.

https://mic.com/articles/147150/phy...backward-time-travel-is-impossible#.Vq7zI3ryh

There cannot be a time machine, because there is no such thing as time. The only reason you think you perceive time is because you experience life on a rotating planet which delineates day from night and provides a regular interval (which is based only upon the rotation of this particular planet in a 24 hour period). Plus, we sleep.Time as we think we perceive it is only change happening in the present. The past can only exist as a recording, a memory, a data record or a picture. Once the present changes, it becomes passed and no longer exists.

This is not really an argument or a theory, it's just plain scientific fact. Mankind created the construct of time. You can pick moments on a timeline and measure your time based upon many cyclical intervals in nature. Rotation of your home planet, of a moon, of a system around a galactic center, etc etc etc. But time itself does not exist.
I think it all depends on how you interpret time travel. You are right that time is something we've made up, but I like to see it as an event or sequence of event which a lot of if then statements in it. Kinda like Basic language or visual basic programming language. Somewhat related.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I liked that video! :) Have you watched any of this series yet? I watched the first episode, and although it was beautifully done and had cool sets and clothes, it was just not believable in the premise.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I haven't seen any of it yet. To be honest the fact that the premise is a direct ripoff of Trancers turned me off a bit - if I want that premise why not just watch Trancers which was a fun film.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I haven't seen any of it yet. To be honest the fact that the premise is a direct ripoff of Trancers turned me off a bit - if I want that premise why not just watch Trancers which was a fun film.

I watched two more episodes to see if this thing had the "three episode effect" like it did for me and The Expanse and Sense8. But no such luck. Episode 4. Nothing. The premise is what kills it. The things they have to do to make it work just makes your eyes roll when you are looking for a way to enjoy it. If it did not take itself so seriously, it would be a better show.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I liked that video! :) Have you watched any of this series yet? I watched the first episode, and although it was beautifully done and had cool sets and clothes, it was just not believable in the premise.
I am not interested in another cop show unless, it's suppose to be comedy. I think we are seeing too much serious shit lately and need to take a lighthearted approach to everything.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am not interested in another cop show unless, it's suppose to be comedy. I think we are seeing too much serious shit lately and need to take a lighthearted approach to everything.

It's a really bad cop show overall, but the whole travelers premise is just a very hard pill to swallow. They will do things in this show, then you spend time thinking about them while the show is going and it just becomes very...arduous to enjoy.