Netflix cracks down on proxy/VPN users.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Holy crap . well that took no time at all .Instant contact and instant fix ... Wicked !!!

:) :) :)

Take that you cheap basturds netdicks !!!

Thanks bluce !!! U De MAN !!! TABERNAC !!!

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Ummm hey bluce . I can still watch all the Star Treks on the ah merh ree can netdix . Watched a Voyager and a Kirk and the boys goofing off in space again and going against protocol . Heeeyyyy Jimmmy boyyyy ! There still there but boy , they sure did gut the si-fi section out indeed . We have more in Canada even tho it is a lot of crap . There seem to be a lot more TV shows . The Incredible Hulk ! Woohoo . I used to love that slow mo show . It paved the way for the 6 million dollar man ... What a shame Bill Bixby died . I was a big fan for many years from all his works .

Thanks again man ...

;) ;) ;)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
More importantly I just wanted to be able to use my VPN and not have to shut it off everytime that I wanted to watch Netflix . I mean , it should not have to be turned off if I had it set to my location in Canada which I did have it set too . All is good now ...

;) ;) ;)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Ummm hey bluce . I can still watch all the Star Treks on the ah merh ree can netdix . Watched a Voyager and a Kirk and the boys goofing off in space again and going against protocol . Heeeyyyy Jimmmy boyyyy ! There still there but boy , they sure did gut the si-fi section out indeed . We have more in Canada even tho it is a lot of crap . There seem to be a lot more TV shows . The Incredible Hulk ! Woohoo . I used to love that slow mo show . It paved the way for the 6 million dollar man ... What a shame Bill Bixby died . I was a big fan for many years from all his works .

Thanks again man ...

;) ;) ;)

Ah, they must have recently put it back. The movies aren't there, though.

Bluce Ree

More importantly I just wanted to be able to use my VPN and not have to shut it off everytime that I wanted to watch Netflix . I mean , it should not have to be turned off if I had it set to my location in Canada which I did have it set too . All is good now ...

;) ;) ;)

Check out Hulu for all recent TV shows and new episodes.

Bluce Ree

So, it looks like Netflix is also blocking all VM and VPS service providers. I spun up my own homemade VPN under Debian 8 using OpenVPN on Linode, Vultr and DigitalOcean and all their IP ranges were effectively blocked.

I also tried setting up OpenVPN on an obscure VM provider and that worked like a charm.

So, the best long-term solution is running your own VPN with either a dedicated server and a small IP address allocation exclusive to you on your own dedicated ISP interconnect (which could run upwards of a few hundred a month when all is said and done) OR finding a provider that hosts VMs hooked into a retail ISP like Comcast, AT&T, etc., which are less likely to ever get blocked since they do not dedicate entire class-C blocks to any service.

I should point out that Netflix seems to be doing the most aggressive blocking. I've had varying degrees of success with other services using the providers noted above, such as Hulu and Amazon Prime.

Bluce Ree

By the way, if you check my IP, you'll see that I'm posting through my OpenVPN server in Linode's NJ data center right now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, it looks like Netflix is also blocking all VM and VPS service providers. I spun up my own homemade VPN under Debian 8 using OpenVPN on Linode, Vultr and DigitalOcean and all their IP ranges were effectively blocked.

I also tried setting up OpenVPN on an obscure VM provider and that worked like a charm.

So, the best long-term solution is running your own VPN with either a dedicated server and a small IP address allocation exclusive to you on your own dedicated ISP interconnect (which could run upwards of a few hundred a month when all is said and done) OR finding a provider that hosts VMs hooked into a retail ISP like Comcast, AT&T, etc., which are less likely to ever get blocked since they do not dedicate entire class-C blocks to any service.

I should point out that Netflix seems to be doing the most aggressive blocking. I've had varying degrees of success with other services using the providers noted above, such as Hulu and Amazon Prime.

Yes, and evidently they are spending more on blocking than on new content. I suspended my Netflix account last November, and I still see nothing worth re-activating my account on there. So....

tumblr_nfkhatEz7S1tc7hsjo1_500.gif

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Yesterday I was able to watch US netflix but as of this evening expressvpn no longer works ...
Closer and closer the axe draws near to you netdicks ,,,
:( :( :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yesterday I was able to watch US netflix but as of this evening expressvpn no longer works ...
Closer and closer the axe draws near to you netdicks ,,,
:( :( :(

Netflix WILL eventually be able to stop all hacks.

Bluce Ree

Netflix WILL eventually be able to stop all hacks.

Except private VPNs behind more commercial ISPs like Comcast, AT&T, Time Warner, etc. Still, it's gonna cost Netflix a lot. Much of their foreign revenue comes from the fact that users were able to access their US-based content through VPN.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Except private VPNs behind more commercial ISPs like Comcast, AT&T, Time Warner, etc. Still, it's gonna cost Netflix a lot. Much of their foreign revenue comes from the fact that users were able to access their US-based content through VPN.
Thing is, I am no longer impressed with Netflix. Catalog is stale.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Ok . I just tried another location and it works . I guess netdicks is symptomatically shutting them down one by one ...

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Well, my paid for VPN service guarantees NF access and they step up. If NF blocks me. I jump on their chat support box and within 2 minutes have a new IP that works. I pay for both NF and my VPN so I do what I have to do to watch my stuff. If they really push me, I have "other means" to see my stuff.

It's absolute bullshit that somebody in another country in 2016 can't see the same stuff in any other country. If they don't want people using alternate means which would put them out of business, they should really rethink this.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I just watched Stranger Things on Netflix and other than the irritating kids as they went with the kids solve all the issue story line , it was not bad . I believe Stranger Things is going to be like an extended version of the Outer Limits . New story every season . At least I hope that's what they do ...

;) ;) ;)

Bluce Ree

Well, my paid for VPN service guarantees NF access and they step up. If NF blocks me. I jump on their chat support box and within 2 minutes have a new IP that works. I pay for both NF and my VPN so I do what I have to do to watch my stuff. If they really push me, I have "other means" to see my stuff.

It's absolute bullshit that somebody in another country in 2016 can't see the same stuff in any other country. If they don't want people using alternate means which would put them out of business, they should really rethink this.

Blame content licensing. The content owners license their content to distributors in other countries and these distributors are the ones who Netflix needs to acquire the rights to show the content in their respective countries. In other words, Netflix pays Sony to show Spiderman in the US but Sony has licensed Spiderman to another company in the UK and Netflix needs to deal with that company in order to show it in the UK.