Netflix cracks down on proxy/VPN users.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thanks OM1 . I bookmarked that page . Awesome . Only one problem . I have not been on Linux for a month or two . I seem to becoming addicted to a Racing Sim and need stupid windows to run it . I'll post more info in the gaming section .
I am still in the process of building an all Intel system and then once thats built I can go back to Linux on my AMD machine .

;) ;) ;)

It is EXACTLY the same on Windows. Should I do a video HowTo? There are already several, but I did not see a Windows one. I have it in Windows and also Linux. AND, you can control it remotely with your iPhone or any Android.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
They also just raised our rate by $2 and now we can only have 2 people watching Netflix at once . If I want 4 to be able to watch it would be $11 Canadian . I so wanna cancel this crap but my family seem to be able to find something to watch on this got to big for it's shoes company . I heard a lot have canceled already in Canada and have gone back to downloading .

:piratebay: :piratebay: :piratebay:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
They also just raised our rate by $2 and now we can only have 2 people watching Netflix at once . If I want 4 to be able to watch it would be $11 Canadian .

I'm paying $11 USD for 4 people. That means your $11 Canbuckaroos is actually $8.40 USD, about what I'd pay for 2 people. Be happy and quit your whining. :icon_lol:

Bluce Ree

Yah but we get 1/4 the content so there ...:winking0052: :winking0052: :winking0052:

:topsy_turvy: :topsy_turvy: :topsy_turvy:

No you don't. You get content we don't (Paramount, Sony, etc) and vice versa. In any case, VPN is your friend if you really want to see what we have.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No you don't. You get content we don't (Paramount, Sony, etc) and vice versa. In any case, VPN is your friend if you really want to see what we have.

The HOLA! plugin (with exclamation mark) in the Google Chrome Extensions (free) will give you solid and reliable VPN to both the EU, the UK and Canada and lots of other countries. It works in both Linux and Windows, but in Windows it installs a daemon which auto starts as a service. In Linux it can't do that. When I use it in Windows, I have to shut down the service manually, cause it wont allow me to completely disable it. (?)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They also just raised our rate by $2 and now we can only have 2 people watching Netflix at once . If I want 4 to be able to watch it would be $11 Canadian . I so wanna cancel this crap but my family seem to be able to find something to watch on this got to big for it's shoes company . I heard a lot have canceled already in Canada and have gone back to downloading .

:piratebay: :piratebay: :piratebay:

I bailed in November of last year. I had seen everything I wanted to see on it, and we got the price increase here too. If you go here:

:piratebay:

Make SURE you are using the one that ends in .cr and not the one that ends in .se because the Swiss authorities have seized that domain and it is now a honey pot.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan

I disagree bluce . We get real crap on Cannuck NetFlix . There is almost nothing in the Sci-Fi section and more often then not for some strange reason there is a ton of sub titled asian fighting flicks lol . No idea who watches that crap cuz I sure as hell don't . Really ! Subtitles ! ...No thanks ...

We have ZERO Star Treks to watch other than 2 of the TNG feature movies .

Using a VPN in Canada automatically will not let you access your Netflix movies . I have to turn it off to watch .

;) ;) ;)

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

I disagree bluce . We get real crap on Cannuck NetFlix . There is almost nothing in the Sci-Fi section and more often then not for some strange reason there is a ton of sub titled asian fighting flicks lol . No idea who watches that crap cuz I sure as hell don't . Really ! Subtitles ! ...No thanks ...

We have ZERO Star Treks to watch other than 2 of the TNG feature movies .

Using a VPN in Canada automatically will not let you access your Netflix movies . I have to turn it off to watch .

;) ;) ;)

That's pretty much exactly what we have. Paramount pulled their content from Netflix, as did Sony and several others. FYI, you guys lost TNG just this last March. ALL Paramount content was pulled from here years ago.

You forget I not only spend a few months of the year up there but my family also shares my Netflix account. VPN works perfectly to combine Canadian and American content.

What do you mean by "Using a VPN in Canada automatically will not let you access your Netflix movies"?

Here's a tip: If you get blocked, just change location or try reconnecting to the same location, they rotate quite a few IPs and regularly swap out whole blocks.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Wow . I did not know that netflix pulled so much of there titles . Then that sucks indeed .
I will try the vpn switcharoo . Right now if I have my vpn running Netflix notes that I have a vpn running so it wont let me access movies from other ip locations . I have to shut the vpn off even if it is showing a Toronto ip address .

I did not forget about your Canadian heritage tabernac lol .
Colin de babin

;) ;) ;)

Bluce Ree

Wow . I did not know that netflix pulled so much of there titles . Then that sucks indeed .
I will try the vpn switcharoo . Right now if I have my vpn running Netflix notes that I have a vpn running so it wont let me access movies from other ip locations . I have to shut the vpn off even if it is showing a Toronto ip address .

I did not forget about your Canadian heritage tabernac lol .
Colin de babin

;) ;) ;)

Try using Chrome with the "Hola!" plugin. They seem to rotate IPs more often. PIA has locations all across the US you can try and they, also, rotate IPs.

It's not that Netflix can detect a VPN, it's that the IPs from various VPN services are collected via reporting. There is no way to identify a VPN without actually subscribing to the VPN and collecting the IPs that show up on the other side of your connection. This is like a bad game of whack-a-mole that the content providers can not win.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Tried watching another show but it is now back to the proxy thingy ..Oh well . E for effort lol ...

;) ;) ;)

Bluce Ree

Tried watching another show but it is now back to the proxy thingy ..Oh well . E for effort lol ...

;) ;) ;)

Hola connects per tab, not per browser session. So, if you connect Hola! in one tab, it's not automatically connected across all tabs. Furthermore, Hola! tends to disconnect at random times if you don't have a solid internet connection.

I'm connected via PIA to Canada right now watching Netflix, just for shits 'n giggles. Haven't had any issues.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
No luck at my end ...

Never saw this front page for netfix before though sitting at an angle like that ! Is that always that way in Ah Mer Ree Kah ?
Screen Shot 06-02-16 at 04.48 PM.PNG

I just keep getting this page ... I can search for shows but that's it ...
Screen Shot 06-02-16 at 10.37 AM.PNG

Attachments

• Screen Shot 06-02-16 at 10.37 AM.PNG
    Screen Shot 06-02-16 at 10.37 AM.PNG
    58.8 KB · Views: 162

Bluce Ree

No luck at my end ...

Never saw this front page for netfix before though sitting at an angle like that ! Is that always that way in Ah Mer Ree Kah ?
View attachment 32973

I just keep getting this page ... I can search for shows but that's it ...
View attachment 32975

Go to Google while you're in PIA or Hola! and type "where is my ip" to see where the IP is really located. I've connected PIA around the US and sometimes it shows up as being in Dubai or UK. It's also happened with Hola.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hola connects per tab, not per browser session. So, if you connect Hola! in one tab, it's not automatically connected across all tabs. Furthermore, Hola! tends to disconnect at random times if you don't have a solid internet connection.

I'm connected via PIA to Canada right now watching Netflix, just for shits 'n giggles. Haven't had any issues.

Why can't I disable the daemon that runs when installed in Chrome for Windows? It starts every time I boot into Windows, even after I disable it in Startup in msconfig or turn it off in Chrome. In Windows, it starts up on boot even if Chrome is not running! The behavior you just posted above is how it works for me in Mint.

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Why can't I disable the daemon that runs when installed in Chrome for Windows? It starts every time I boot into Windows, even after I disable it in Startup in msconfig or turn it off in Chrime. In Windows, it starts up on boot even if Chrome is not running! The behavior you just posted above is how it works for me in Mint.

Ahh, good question. I haven't tried it in Windows, to be honest. I've only booted into the Windows partition maybe 5 times since I got this Yoga 3. :icon_lol: