NASA project ARTEMIS and Marching to Mars

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Here's proof of my assertion that long range space travel would have devastating affects on the human body. This guy only did 5 months in space whereas a flight to Mars would require 6 months to get there, then however long they stay to explore, then 6 months return flight. And yes, there is gravity on Mars but it ain't like what we have here on Earth.

http://news.yahoo.com/canadian-astronaut-wrestles-gravity-spaceflight-155914826.html

Canadian astronaut wrestles with gravity after spaceflight

CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (Reuters) - Back on Earth, Canadian astronaut and cyberspace tweeterChris Hadfield is getting a rough re-introduction to gravity after a five-month stint aboard theInternational Space Station, the former commander told reporters during a video webcast from Houston.

But living without gravity for five months has left him feeling dizzy, weak and prematurely aged. A veteran of three space flights, he is wearing a pressure suit under his clothes to help his circulation as his body re-adapts to getting blood back to his brain.

"For now, I'm still trying to stand up straight. I have to sit down in the shower so I don't faint and fall down, and I don't have calluses on the bottom of my feet yet, so I'm walking around like I walked on hot coals," he said.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Here's proof of my assertion that long range space travel would have devastating affects on the human body. This guy only did 5 months in space whereas a flight to Mars would require 6 months to get there, then however long they stay to explore, then 6 months return flight. And yes, there is gravity on Mars but it ain't like what we have here on Earth.

http://news.yahoo.com/canadian-astronaut-wrestles-gravity-spaceflight-155914826.html

Canadian astronaut wrestles with gravity after spaceflight

But the Mars astronauts, at least the ones on the proposed one-way trip, will not be coming back.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Plus, you can generate gravitational effects using rotational force if you really want to, and his body is just readjusting to Earth's gravitational field, the adjustment isn't going to be sudden.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The next space station needs to rotate.

Yes, we need some form of artificial gravity before we get serious about spaceflight, be it rotational adjustment, or some kind of "stabilization plate".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What is a stabilization plate?

Something like a magnetic floor plate, or other flooring that can hold a person in place. Just guessing at what he means though. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Something like a magnetic floor plate, or other flooring that can hold a person in place. Just guessing at what he means though. :)

Quite correct, but more like create artificial gravity conditions.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Yes, we need some form of artificial gravity before we get serious about spaceflight, be it rotational adjustment, or some kind of "stabilization plate".

That's pure science fiction for now. We still don't quite know exactly what gravity is and whether it's a wave or a particle.

Bluce Ree

3 possible launch and travel vehicles all 'mostly' currently available

also, this trip is for a married couple's fly by of Mars:

http://news.yahoo.com/private-mars-flyby-mission-ponders-nasa-commercial-rockets-210422902.html

http://www.space.com/19985-private-mars-mission-flyby-dennis-tito-infographic.html

Who in their right mind is willing to lock themselves in a small capsule, seated, for a year? Any vehicle design involving a trip to Mars should at least be the size of the space station. Something of this magnitude needs to be an international collaboration, not a showcase for some private enterprise who will figure the cheapest way to get this done.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Who in their right mind is willing to lock themselves in a small capsule, seated, for a year? Any vehicle design involving a trip to Mars should at least be the size of the space station. Something of this magnitude needs to be an international collaboration, not a showcase for some private enterprise who will figure the cheapest way to get this done.

Shh! Don't pop the balloon while dumb people are masturbating to this stupid idea that will never happen. :nono:

*I love how the article states it is going to be a married male/female couple they send as opposed to, oh I dunno, a couple of people, regardless of gender or sexual orientation, that are actual scientists. I guess all the real scientists have already laughed themselves out of a chance for the trip of a lifetime.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Shh! Don't pop the balloon while dumb people are masturbating to this stupid idea that will never happen. :nono:

*I love how the article states it is going to be a married male/female couple they send as opposed to, oh I dunno, a couple of people, regardless of gender or sexual orientation, that are actual scientists. I guess all the real scientists have already laughed themselves out of a chance for the trip of a lifetime.

:lol::smiley-laughing024::SmileyLaughingTears::icon_rotflmao:

All they really want to do is to profit on the process. There will never be a Pioneer Train created to get people to Mars to "homestead" :anim_59: But think of the billions that could be made in the process? Suppliers, plaques, special club memberships, clothing, even a Reality show or two. :)

Bluce Ree

All they really want to do is to profit on the process. There will never be a Pioneer Train created to get people to Mars to "homestead" :anim_59: But think of the billions that could be made in the process? Suppliers, plaques, special club memberships, clothing, even a Reality show or two. :)

I guess you forgot about this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...ns-for-reality-show-one-way-trip-to-Mars.html

http://mashable.com/2013/04/22/mars-one-reality-tv-show/

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/04/more-than-20000-people-apply-for-one-way-ticket-to-mars/

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Yes, that would be quite mind numbing--not the small capsule but listening to your wife for 501 days

Indeed, it may be "impossible" for now, but remember, a lot of people said "never" in the past about things like a round Earth and "new" lands-We may never see it, but it may well happen someday.

Besides, what is the point of all of this science and tech and spending if not to get somewhere someday? Even if it is only a presence on the moon. IMO, without space-near or far, as an option I see no point to the furthering of new science and tech save to make money buy selling idiots "smart" electronics.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Tests for space plane in competition with new capsules for ISS servicing:

http://news.yahoo.com/private-space-plane-arrives-california-key-flight-tests-125704517.html

See, I don't have a problem with this type of private business funding of space related technology and travel options. It's the crazy "let's send an average married couple (male/female) to Mars in a tin can" ideas that are annoying because they're so stupid and don't take the science of space travel and living into consideration.

Bluce Ree

See, I don't have a problem with this type of private business funding of space related technology and travel options. It's the crazy "let's send an average married couple (male/female) to Mars in a tin can" ideas that are annoying because they're so stupid and don't take the science of space travel and living into consideration.

Hey, if the reality show concept is able to attract the redneck and tea bagger crowds into leaving this planet by the thousands, more power to the private sector for helping clean up the gene pool.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Hey, if the reality show concept is able to attract the redneck and tea bagger crowds into leaving this planet by the thousands, more power to the private sector for helping clean up the gene pool.

I happily stand corrected and would love to know where to donate money to help this project get off the ground. :anim_59: