Most frustrating TV shows canceled on a cliffhanger

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm torn on that one. I liked the show and wanted to see more, but they sort of wrapped things up by reuniting the woman (can't remember her name) with her long lost son, which seemed to be a big part of the plot. As for Tom, I liked him a lot and would have loved to see more, but with how they ended it I got the impression that he went back on the plane and then kicked ass at the virus HQ. Not the most satisfactory of endings, but I can live with it.

Or as the saying goes that I got from a Chinese fortune cookie: "What the mind does not allow the heart does not grieve".

I felt like it was a pretty clean closing. Yes Tom stowed away on the plane to the pharmacy place but Abby and Peter are reunited plus they have a working vaccine to ensure the virus does not make any comebacks. All things considered it is both a good place to leave off and also gives enough "hooks" for the story to be picked up at a future date.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Lynch's Dune was crud. One they had Gurney Halleck using the Voice and also had the voice being basically a vocal ray gun I knew it was bad schlock. The SciFi miniseries was much better.

I loved the original Lynch version of Dune mostly because of it's look, the style and music, and Sting was in it. :) I had read the books before that, so I was following the story with the movie and it was very closely matched but the Weirding modules were not in the book. Like I said a couple of comments back, I found the Herbert version of Dune to be better storytelling and the characters were closer to the book than the Lynch version. It just had more balance to me. However Herbert's Children of Dune had me shaking my head in parts...but it was good. Both the Herbert versions of Dune were miniseries.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I felt like it was a pretty clean closing. Yes Tom stowed away on the plane to the pharmacy place but Abby and Peter are reunited plus they have a working vaccine to ensure the virus does not make any comebacks. All things considered it is both a good place to leave off and also gives enough "hooks" for the story to be picked up at a future date.

Yep, but it never was picked up and it probably wont be. :( But Surface...man, that was really a letdown for me. It was done so well, even with the cutesy adopted sea monster. :) It was just enough fantasy and just enough science fiction and just enough drama to keep me riveted throughout the entire series and then BLAM. It gets cancelled. :(

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I loved the original Lynch version of Dune mostly because of it's look, the style and music, and Sting was in it. :) I had read the books before that, so I was following the story with the movie and it was very closely matched but the Weirding modules were not in the book. Like I said a couple of comments back, I found the Herbert version of Dune to be better storytelling and the characters were closer to the book than the Lynch version. It just had more balance to me. However Herbert's Children of Dune had me shaking my head in parts...but it was good. Both the Herbert versions of Dune were miniseries.

I felt it wandered pretty badly from the books (I loved them but after God Emperor of Dune they became rubbish). Paul did not magically cause it to rain on Arrakis and they never even got to the crux of the finale - Paul's futile struggle to avoid the jihad.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

I think that was the best DUNE that could be made at the time given cost and availability of SFX,etc.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
TWIN PEAKS ended in a cliffhanger type of way

the last scene showed agent Cooper getting possessed by the crazy man in the mirror
Man, I loved the first season of Twin Peaks. The mysterious and 90s atmosphere, the characters, and the whole small town feel. It was great. Then season 2 sorta ruined the show for me with a few exceptions. Have yet to watch the movie. Season 2 just ruined the show for me though. What happens when networks intervene.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I felt it wandered pretty badly from the books (I loved them but after God Emperor of Dune they became rubbish). Paul did not magically cause it to rain on Arrakis and they never even got to the crux of the finale - Paul's futile struggle to avoid the jihad.

Whose version?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Lynch version had nonsense like Paul making it rain on Arrakis. It also glossed over the whole subject of the Jihad which was central to the books.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
"Psych" had an episode called "Dual Spires" that was directly inspired by "Twin Peaks". It was hilarious and had several of the actors from the original series. In this one, it was "Who Killed Paula Merril". ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Lynch version had nonsense like Paul making it rain on Arrakis. It also glossed over the whole subject of the Jihad which was central to the books.

Okay, just making sure you were talking about the same one I was. :) If you havent seen the Herbert Dune and Children of Dune, you should. :)