Most frustrating TV shows canceled on a cliffhanger

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Low ratings. :grumpy: Funny part is in Britain they thought the show rubbish, here in America we thought it treasure.

Why "rubbish"? Was it a thing with the actors? I read where a couple are not English favorites and have bad raps. The show's premise was not all that different from other shows and movies that are liked here and there

B

Backstep

Why "rubbish"? Was it a thing with the actors? I read where a couple are not English favorites and have bad raps. The show's premise was not all that different from other shows and movies that are liked here and there

From what I remember when the show was airing, people in Britain talked about it the same as we talked about NuBSG and SGU, the same with Survivors.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
From what I remember when the show was airing, people in Britain talked about it the same as we talked about NuBSG and SGU, the same with Survivors.

Now I remember watching SURVIVORS! Some disease infects and kills-some naturally immune, the woman in the group somehow was one of few who recovered from infection, right?

I remember watching at least 2 seasons on netflix, couldv'e sworn that it was "ended" with the group looking up to a better future,etc. Thought it ended as scheduled though.

B

Backstep

Now I remember watching SURVIVORS! Some disease infects and kills-some naturally immune, the woman in the group somehow was one of few who recovered from infection, right?

I remember watching at least 2 seasons on netflix, couldv'e sworn that it was "ended" with the group looking up to a better future,etc. Thought it ended as scheduled though.

It ended on a cliffhanger with Tom in the back of the plane headed to the maker of the virus HQ.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It ended on a cliffhanger with Tom in the back of the plane headed to the maker of the virus HQ.

I'm torn on that one. I liked the show and wanted to see more, but they sort of wrapped things up by reuniting the woman (can't remember her name) with her long lost son, which seemed to be a big part of the plot. As for Tom, I liked him a lot and would have loved to see more, but with how they ended it I got the impression that he went back on the plane and then kicked ass at the virus HQ. Not the most satisfactory of endings, but I can live with it.

Or as the saying goes that I got from a Chinese fortune cookie: "What the mind does not allow the heart does not grieve".

run_away

GateFans Noob
I thought the remake of V was just picking up some steam when it was canceled. I wish they had ended it on a more final note. As for Angel, I think the ending was fitting and unique.

Gosh, I almost forgot! Jericho ended on a sweet cliffhanger/end of chapter. I always thought another season would have been fantastic. I am not sure the comic books were ever released.

Last edited:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Tried to get into Jericho but gave up after a couple of episodes when I saw them lay down the seeds for future relationship/soap elements. I'll try it again maybe if I hear any different from anyone else.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Jericho was OK.
Objectively you can see why it was axed, too many threads, not enough resolution, but it was a pretty interesting story nonetheless. Some may find it a little too drama-esque however.

run_away

GateFans Noob
I guess I remember the dystopian elements more than the romance. It was there of course, but not as much as other things. I definitely agree that there were too many threads that were not resolved fast enough.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Tried to get into Jericho but gave up after a couple of episodes when I saw them lay down the seeds for future relationship/soap elements. I'll try it again maybe if I hear any different from anyone else.

The first season was definitely the best. I think the 2nd was mainly "phoned in" as it really only got made and aired to the efforts of fan campaign to CBS.

I think if they would have stuck with the whole greater story (world events, national events, ongoing war,etc) versus the small interpersonal stuff, it would have been much better.

Really like the "spy vs spy" stuff with the FBI and other agents-wished they would have done more with that

But that is the problem with many shows especially the mainstream "broadcast" networks. they have to get so 'gooey' to bring in female viewers that a show that many of us would really enjoy would not be made. Increasingly, this is spreading to the 'cable' networks as well. between this issue and the "reality" shows there is little room for actual entertainment.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
TWIN PEAKS ended in a cliffhanger type of way

the last scene showed agent Cooper getting possessed by the crazy man in the mirror

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
TWIN PEAKS ended in a cliffhanger type of way

the last scene showed agent Cooper getting possessed by the crazy man in the mirror

Not a David Lynch fan. Dude is nuttier than squirrel poop. It's one thing to be odd yet quite another to be alienating in terms of making a show that is comprehensible.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Have I mentioned Nowhere Man yet? because if I haven't I should! :P

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Just remembered--and I just finished watching it all!--The SHIELD pretty much ended on what could be seen as an ending of sorts but it also had a cliffhanger aspect to it. Would love to see how Vic Mackey is doing after riding a desk at ICE for 3 years.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not a David Lynch fan. Dude is nuttier than squirrel poop. It's one thing to be odd yet quite another to be alienating in terms of making a show that is comprehensible.

I just watched the Lynch version of Dune, and although I loved it, I liked the later Frank Herbert version a bit better in terms of telling the story. I followed that up with Children of Dune where they proceeded to screw the story up a bit, but was still well done.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I just watched the Lynch version of Dune, and although I loved it, I liked the later Frank Herbert version a bit better in terms of telling the story. I followed that up with Children of Dune where they proceeded to screw the story up a bit, but was still well done.

Keep in mind that Lynch was more constrained by the story as it was so well known. He never dropped the leash that held his madness at bay on that one. Later on his mental illness can be seen as it goes full bore in just about all of his movies. Wild at Heart earns the honor of being the first movie I've ever ejected out of the VCR (yeah, it was that long ago) only halfway thru. And God only knows how the hell I sat thru the entire showing of Blue Velvet.

Suffice to say Lynch is a crack pot. He gets off on creating nonsensical stuff that people then think is deep and meaningful when in truth it's not. He also is a huge supporter of the scam technique known as "transcendental meditation". Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against meditation (in fact I do it myself at times) but the TM movement is something akin to a cult. Their goal is to make money money money, not to enlighten minds. Just Google "transcendental meditation scam" to see what I mean.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Lynch's Dune was crud. One they had Gurney Halleck using the Voice and also had the voice being basically a vocal ray gun I knew it was bad schlock. The SciFi miniseries was much better.