Most frustrating TV shows canceled on a cliffhanger

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I found this excellent article at io9.com. After being frustrated at The 4400 "cancel-hanger", I started to wonder how many series ended that way?

http://io9.com/5642207/most-frustrating-tv-shows-canceled-on-a-cliffhanger

It lists my most frustrating one of all, Surface. It also mentions several others you might recognize. It talks about shows that got canceled, but then got some resolution with a movie or books (like Firefly and Farscape). Good read!

surface_657x381.jpg

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I have to agree with the cliffhanger ending for angel being great.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I have to agree with the cliffhanger ending for angel being great.

I too found the ending for Angel to be really good which is odd since I hate cliffhangers. But that one just made sense within the context of the entire show/premise.

ETA: I didn't see Dark Skies on the list. I remember that show ending on a cliffhanger with Eric Close stuck on an alien ship while looking down at the Earth.

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I too found the ending for Angel to be really good which is odd since I hate cliffhangers. But that one just made sense within the context of the entire show/premise.
Yup, everyone eventually paid for all their "past sins" and *(died) going out trying to atone for those sins.

*Died as long as you don't follow the further stories of Buffy, which leave Angel and Spike still "alive"

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
A show from the 90's called Nowhere Man staring bruce breenwood! Once season on the old paramount network. ended on a cliffhanger that left me screaming!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The more I think about this, the more I cannot find a show I was really disappointed with the ending of. I can think of a few that I was disappointed that they ended, but none I was really disappointed enough to care about.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The more I think about this, the more I cannot find a show I was really disappointed with the ending of. I can think of a few that I was disappointed that they ended, but none I was really disappointed enough to care about.

I wouldnt want to wish this on you, but try Surface. I guarantee you will have a grudge.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I wouldnt want to wish this on you, but try Surface. I guarantee you will have a grudge.

I actually watched some of surface ( from the start that is ), just did not grab me, nor did 4400.
Don't get me wrong, some shows disappointed me that they ended, like SGA or Boston Legal, but I was never really "pissed off" about the respective endings.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Another one that ended on a sucky note was Kindred: The Embraced. Yes, it was emo vampire stuff but at least it was emo before that crap became ubiquitous and sparkly. It only ran for 8 episodes back in 1996 and got cancelled. Showtime was looking at picking it up but the lead actor died in a motorcycle accident and that pretty much finished it for good.

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Another one that ended on a sucky note was Kindred: The Embraced. Yes, it was emo vampire stuff but at least it was emo before that crap became ubiquitous and sparkly. It only ran for 8 episodes back in 1996 and got cancelled. Showtime was looking at picking it up but the lead actor died in a motorcycle accident and that pretty much finished it for good.

I have that series on DVD as I played the game it was based on. :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
As a matter of fact, I really enjoyed Kindred. I was quite saddened when the lead actor was killed and the show wasn't able to continue.

It was an interesting variation on the whole vampire theme with the different subspecies of vampires idea.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It was a fantastic game as well. I think I have said this to you before Illit, back when you were first writing Siofria, but if you have access to Scrib'd most of the sourcebooks for Vampire are on there. if you ignore the game mechanics and just read the "fluff" they are quite interesting. There are even series of books written for them, most are pretty blah, but there are some gems in there as well.

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/index.php?title=Novels

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OUTCASTS was just getting warmed up. What were the reasons for killing it anyhow? Were any given?

I absolutely LOVED that show. :( And yes, they were just getting warmed up and then it abruptly ended. Im not sure why either.