Here's a couple of quick snaps just for you Pussy. City center of Belfast.

This is the brand new Glider public transport. Came into service just this week. That's all I know about it.

View attachment 34563

This is the Scottish Provident building next to City Hall.

View attachment 34564

And this is what it looks like when you're in the middle back seat at the bottom of a double decker bus.

View attachment 34565

See, those are really good pics! The macro stuff you do is fine but when you "zoom out" and take slice-of-life pics they can be pretty cool too. :beckett_new049:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
See, those are really good pics! The macro stuff you do is fine but when you "zoom out" and take slice-of-life pics they can be pretty cool too. :beckett_new049:
Here's a slice of life for ya. This is the alley at the back of my house. All this junk in there belongs to one neighbor who seems to think they can use the alley in whichever way they see fit to. I filed a complaint at city council recently but am still waiting to hear back.

IMG_20180820_070007.jpg

IMG_20180820_070024.jpg

Here's a slice of life for ya. This is the alley at the back of my house. All this junk in there belongs to one neighbor who seems to think they can use the alley in whichever way they see fit to. I filed a complaint at city council recently but am still waiting to hear back.

View attachment 34570

View attachment 34571

I love the recliner by the sad laundry that is hanging to dry in the damp weather. There's a metaphor in there somewhere.

BTW, how do they collect the garbage from the alley? Do you have to take the bins down to the end on pickup day? The alley seems too small to get a garbage truck in.

My alley is big enough for the garbage trucks to drive thru. There are men who pull the garbage bins to the truck and then dump it but when they come to get the recycling the truck is fully automated; a hydraulic arm reaches out, grabs the bin and dumps it into the truck, then sets the bin back in place. It's a bit like living in a futuristic world not unlike Blade Runner, but without the Replicants or flying cars, go figure.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I love the recliner by the sad laundry that is hanging to dry in the damp weather. There's a metaphor in there somewhere.

It's very poetic indeed.

BTW, how do they collect the garbage from the alley? Do you have to take the bins down to the end on pickup day? The alley seems too small to get a garbage truck in.

My alley is big enough for the garbage trucks to drive thru. There are men who pull the garbage bins to the truck and then dump it but when they come to get the recycling the truck is fully automated; a hydraulic arm reaches out, grabs the bin and dumps it into the truck, then sets the bin back in place. It's a bit like living in a futuristic world not unlike Blade Runner, but without the Replicants or flying cars, go figure.
I always take the garbage bin to the end of the alley. I'm not sure whether or not that is actually necessary, but I'm not taking the risk of being left with a full trash bin. They only come once every two weeks. But we tend not to have much garbage in general. I only take it out about every six weeks on average, sometimes eight, sometimes four. Recycling is picked up every week and we have plenty of that.

I've seen the futuristic garbage pickup in the Netherlands. Not around here though. All manual.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

There is no alley behind my place, there is a side area where all the bins are, and once a week the trash guys come and roll them all to the curb (Thursdays). Then the same futuristic trucks like you have come and an arm grabs the bins and dumps them in the truck and puts them back in place. And we have to pay a Refuse bill every month of about $22.00.

There is no alley behind my place, there is a side area where all the bins are, and once a week the trash guys come and roll them all to the curb (Thursdays). Then the same futuristic trucks like you have come and an arm grabs the bins and dumps them in the truck and puts them back in place. And we have to pay a Refuse bill every month of about $22.00.

Isn't the garbage and recycling fee folded into your or your landlord's yearly property tax bill? Why do you have to pay it monthly? And if you're renting why do you have to pay it at all? Shouldn't that be included in your rent?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

View attachment 34570

View attachment 34571

Actual brick!
Isn't the garbage and recycling fee folded into your or your landlord's yearly property tax bill? Why do you have to pay it monthly? And if you're renting why do you have to pay it at all? Shouldn't that be included in your rent?

No we have to pay it to the city along with the gas bill. They come on to the landlords property to roll the cans to the curb. Pickup is weekly and also street sweeping is weekly.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Actual brick!

No we have to pay it to the city along with the gas bill. They come on to the landlords property to roll the cans to the curb. Pickup is weekly and also street sweeping is weekly.
Never seen a brick before?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Never seen a brick before?

Of course. Its just that in California, using brick for structural building is now banned (earthquake codes). You can only use real brick in California for fences, decoration, walkways, decks, not in walls or chimneys or anything that is weight bearing. I remember when brick buildings were fairly common here. Some have been grandfathered in, but usually the city goes right to those buildings whenever there is an earthquake. Earthquake "proofing" a brick building is very very costly and usually the owners demolish and rebuild to code.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Did this fly just take a shit?

IMG_20180829_130327.jpg

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Seems like life is finding its way in Canada too! :)

Those were taken with an LG5 right?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Seems like life is finding its way in Canada too! :)

Those were taken with an LG5 right?
iPhunk6 ... but after taking pics with the iphone , I miss the quality of the LG5 . With the LG5 you do not have step back out of the frame to take a pic like you do with the iphone . iPhones have horrible cameras in my experience anyway . But the wild weed's growing on the sidewalk pics with the iphone6 came out not to bad . No zoom , just looking at the touch screen . Zoom degrades the picture immensely with the apple cam .
;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
iPhunk6 ... but after taking pics with the iphone , I miss the quality of the LG5 . With the LG5 you do not have step back out of the frame to take a pic like you do with the iphone . iPhones have horrible cameras in my experience anyway . But the wild weed's growing on the sidewalk pics with the iphone6 came out not to bad . No zoom , just looking at the touch screen . Zoom degrades the picture immensely with the apple cam .
;)

My LG2 took awesome pictures, but my new Huawei takes much better ones. Why am I not posting them??? :anim_59: Let me see if I can take them and also post them from my phone...