Melbourne Man Seeks $50 Million To Fund New Season Of Stargate Universe

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
lets not forget there are ppl in the US just as fanatical. One has "brushed up against "some of us over at the SYFY forums

particularly in his "torment" of a certain former female member here

THE MAIN GATE MASTER has a FB page and a website soliciting sig's and funds to resurrect SGU

lets hope they all don't find each other :vala-newanime016:

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
They could have adjusted their plot heading for season 2, and they actually did. But they changed the wrong things. They stopped trying to play into Lt James' ample girls by having her standing around in random hallways in panties and a camisole three sizes too small. They stopped using closets as sex pods. They tried to "smart up" Chloe and give her brains she did not have. They showed a space battle...sorta. But they kept the biggest flaw of all which was those damned stones. How can you add science into the show like they tried to do in season 2, but not explain how the stones worked?

I would say that the focus wasn't there. Season one pretty much killed the entire show, because the attention was mainly on the drama of the characters (who for the most part are dull, uninteresting or some cases repulsive). The episode where they find that newly formed star system with the Eden world, perfect example, they have a great opportunity to explore and discover and all we get is literally 5 seconds of that, the rest might as well be set on Dawson's Creek when the group goes to summer camp. Season two tried to change up some aspects, but it was only skin deep as far as I'm concerned.

Also the show was incredibly boring, now I'm not some rapid 5 year old who demands explosions. I like Star Trek, most of that is people sat, standing, floating around talking. It was the situation and how they dealt that made the drama.

Speaking of the characters, the only decent one was Rush because he has an actual motive in the story that involves Destiny, everyone else is just there for the ride, no one else shows any kind of interest on the ship, the nature of the ship, purpose etc. Only Rush. I've said this a few times before but the whole 'we wanna go home' should of gone out of the window from episode 1, because any time you have an episode which involves them finding a way back home, and its only the first season, you know its going to fail, so why bother? The pining for home could of been done in little character moments when they remember back- funnily enough the episode Time did that and that was the best episode, but because it was a time loop in the past, it didn't happen so we don't actually see the characters grow naturally. It is so frustrating to see potential actually there only to be snuffed out, buried under the weight of melodrama.

The other characters were for the most part just boring and uninteresting. The problem for me was their function on the ship and/or group. They give so much attention time to characters who shouldn't be there, when there are perfectly capable ones just hanging around. Point in case. Lt Scott and Lt James. Scott is a pilot, one of two, so why send him out on ground deployments? Why would you trust in the judgement of a pilot who has little to no infantry skills outside of escape and evasion? Lt James on the other hand, well firstly she isn't a pilot so therefore is part of the ground defense team so has extended training in that manner. Greer would be my second choice mostly because he is USMC and a senior ranking NCO, so his judgement and experience in ground based operations puts him head and shoulders above any commissioned officer seen in SGU, however I would put him in fleet protection role/ship security.

I'm not trying to say we should give James a chance because she is a woman, but because she is by default the most logical choice for the current situation based on her rank and experience. Now keep in mind, James had been in the Icarus base for quite some time, and Scott is a new arrival, so by default of commission date he would be following her orders.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I would say that the focus wasn't there. Season one pretty much killed the entire show, because the attention was mainly on the drama of the characters (who for the most part are dull, uninteresting or some cases repulsive). The episode where they find that newly formed star system with the Eden world, perfect example, they have a great opportunity to explore and discover and all we get is literally 5 seconds of that, the rest might as well be set on Dawson's Creek when the group goes to summer camp. Season two tried to change up some aspects, but it was only skin deep as far as I'm concerned.

Also the show was incredibly boring, now I'm not some rapid 5 year old who demands explosions. I like Star Trek, most of that is people sat, standing, floating around talking. It was the situation and how they dealt that made the drama.

Speaking of the characters, the only decent one was Rush because he has an actual motive in the story that involves Destiny, everyone else is just there for the ride, no one else shows any kind of interest on the ship, the nature of the ship, purpose etc. Only Rush. I've said this a few times before but the whole 'we wanna go home' should of gone out of the window from episode 1, because any time you have an episode which involves them finding a way back home, and its only the first season, you know its going to fail, so why bother? The pining for home could of been done in little character moments when they remember back- funnily enough the episode Time did that and that was the best episode, but because it was a time loop in the past, it didn't happen so we don't actually see the characters grow naturally. It is so frustrating to see potential actually there only to be snuffed out, buried under the weight of melodrama.

The other characters were for the most part just boring and uninteresting. The problem for me was their function on the ship and/or group. They give so much attention time to characters who shouldn't be there, when there are perfectly capable ones just hanging around. Point in case. Lt Scott and Lt James. Scott is a pilot, one of two, so why send him out on ground deployments? Why would you trust in the judgement of a pilot who has little to no infantry skills outside of escape and evasion? Lt James on the other hand, well firstly she isn't a pilot so therefore is part of the ground defense team so has extended training in that manner. Greer would be my second choice mostly because he is USMC and a senior ranking NCO, so his judgement and experience in ground based operations puts him head and shoulders above any commissioned officer seen in SGU, however I would put him in fleet protection role/ship security.

I'm not trying to say we should give James a chance because she is a woman, but because she is by default the most logical choice for the current situation based on her rank and experience. Now keep in mind, James had been in the Icarus base for quite some time, and Scott is a new arrival, so by default of commission date he would be following her orders.

when i re watched sgu i mainly only watched scenes that had Rush in them, most of every other I FF thru since 1-I saw it before and 2-The main theme (if there was one) of the show was about Rush and Destiny. At least the only theme that mattered

and yes

SGU failed miserably when it came to military issues-unlike its predecessors

James should have been the 2nd in command with Greer as the 1SG/SGM (that is if one can believe, that as a "f" up no less, he made it to MSG in 10yrs!!! highly unlikely, even if you join with advanced rank-which he didn't)

Pilots have little combat trng, Scott as a pilot, would of had trng on a handgun and flares, maybe smoke grenades and survival and escape trng. Not the "security forces
trng that James had

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
when i re watched sgu i mainly only watched scenes that had Rush in them, most of every other I FF thru since 1-I saw it before and 2-The main theme (if there was one) of the show was about Rush and Destiny. At least the only theme that mattered

and yes

SGU failed miserably when it came to military issues-unlike its predecessors

James should have been the 2nd in command with Greer as the 1SG/SGM (that is if one can believe, that as a "f" up no less, he made it to MSG in 10yrs!!! highly unlikely, even if you join with advanced rank-which he didn't)

Pilots have little combat trng, Scott as a pilot, would of had trng on a handgun and flares, maybe smoke grenades and survival and escape trng. Not the "security forces
trng that James had

All of this. :) And Telford...:facepalm: His demeanor is not that of a command grade officer. In The Last Ship, they have the Captain down pat. I dont know if the actor is a veteran, but he is convincing as hell. General Hammond in SG-1 was the last believable military commander in Stargate. Although I loved the Col Sheppard character in Stargate Atlantis, he was not at all believable as a military officer IMO. One of the reasons SG-1 remains my favorite Stargate is because they had actual military AND scientific advisors helping the writers.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
All of this. :) And Telford...:facepalm: His demeanor is not that of a command grade officer. In The Last Ship, they have the Captain down pat. I dont know if the actor is a veteran, but he is convincing as hell. General Hammond in SG-1 was the last believable military commander in Stargate. Although I loved the Col Sheppard character in Stargate Atlantis, he was not at all believable as a military officer IMO. One of the reasons SG-1 remains my favorite Stargate is because they had actual military AND scientific advisors helping the writers.

In one of his "stone" visits with Gen Oneill, wasn't his assignment to the Icarus base brought up? Something about him being a temporary cdr and that he had washed out or something from the SG program?

Maybe I am dreaming it, but I could swear that there was some talk of this type.

As to his behaviour as a field grade-yeah, no good. I have seen guys like this; they just totally break apart after a family issue or some bad cmd decision and follow on crisis of leadership,etc

So if that was the TPTB's intention, they did get it right-but again, if it was discussed, it was in passing between two characters

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
In one of his "stone" visits with Gen Oneill, wasn't his assignment to the Icarus base brought up? Something about him being a temporary cdr and that he had washed out or something from the SG program?

Maybe I am dreaming it, but I could swear that there was some talk of this type.

As to his behaviour as a field grade-yeah, no good. I have seen guys like this; they just totally break apart after a family issue or some bad cmd decision and follow on crisis of leadership,etc

So if that was the TPTB's intention, they did get it right-but again, if it was discussed, it was in passing between two characters

I think you might be right...cant be sure. But even so, if he was washed out of the program then why was he on Icarus? Icarus is the flashpoint for the dumbness in SGU. I could see the "wrong people" ending up on Destiny, but not from Icarus. Just to be on Icarus Base would have required intense secrecy and screening, as well as passage through the ultra secret stargate or the ultra secret earth starships. That there was a senator or his daughter on Icarus is ridiculous. As far as the officers, Telford would have been washed out of not just the Stargate program, but the military itself.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
lets not forget there are ppl in the US just as fanatical. One has "brushed up against "some of us over at the SYFY forums

particularly in his "torment" of a certain former female member here

THE MAIN GATE MASTER has a FB page and a website soliciting sig's and funds to resurrect SGU

lets hope they all don't find each other :vala-newanime016:

Name names please...:)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I think you might be right...cant be sure. But even so, if he was washed out of the program then why was he on Icarus? Icarus is the flashpoint for the dumbness in SGU. I could see the "wrong people" ending up on Destiny, but not from Icarus. Just to be on Icarus Base would have required intense secrecy and screening, as well as passage through the ultra secret stargate or the ultra secret earth starships. That there was a senator or his daughter on Icarus is ridiculous. As far as the officers, Telford would have been washed out of not just the Stargate program, but the military itself.

Chloe was just, like, helping her daddy cuz, like, she's ambitious and wants to get into politics and stuff...maybe...if the job at MTV doesn't work out. But what evs, she can always fall back on being a barrista ya know, cuz, she like did that for a semester even though daddy was paying her way through school. That's right, she's no slacker, like, she worked that job faithfully for two whole months (except for when, like, she called in "sick" after a night of dancing at the clubs and then shagging in bathroom stalls before drunk crying her way back home).

roflbot (9).jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Chloe was just, like, helping her daddy cuz, like, she's ambitious and wants to get into politics and stuff...maybe...if the job at MTV doesn't work out. But what evs, she can always fall back on being a barrista ya know, cuz, she like did that for a semester even though daddy was paying her way through school. That's right, she's no slacker, like, she worked that job faithfully for two whole months (except for when, like, she called in "sick" after a night of dancing at the clubs and then shagging in bathroom stalls before drunk crying her way back home).

View attachment 30407

:icon_rotflmao::shep_lol::smiley-laughing024::icon_rotflmao::shep_lol::smiley-laughing024::icon_rotflmao::shep_lol::smiley-laughing024::icon_rotflmao::shep_lol::smiley-laughing024:

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Young was the guy in charge of Icarus base (aka the dolt). Telford was the guy who was supposed to go on the mission to Destiny, and wasn't actually that bad as a character, just they killed him off then brought him back through some time loop thingy.

Another aspect I forgot about was survival. First you've got the material side of things, gathering the necessary resources to complete whatever needs to be fixed, hardly ever done. Secondly you have the degredation of the human spirit. The general idea is this; you have the best trained people trying to make the best of a hopelessness situation, the fact they having to contend with sheer boredom only to be ramped up too elven at a moments notice, they are well motivated, but everyone has limitations, everyone has a breaking point. Imagine episode after episode you see them becoming more and more weary, their humanity slowly being eroded away. It would also tie in, the trainng that these people have, they aren't ready for what is beyond into the frontier, the counter measures and contingency plans barely work, because the situation is beyond what they expected. Action - consequence - learn and then adapt.

You could even have an episode where no one actually talks to one another (outside of orders and reports), because they've discussed everything that they know to each other, that way you'd see them creating their own little projects/hobbies, something to keep them going or distract from the daily life on board the ship, clearly showing off their coping mechanisms. Why am I coming up with these suggestions?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

wait a minute--got confused! :drunk: I was talking about Young, but yeah Telford was a joke as well.

But look at it this way, both were sent to Icarus base at the time of some war with the Lucian Alliance and other post "EARTH is now center of galaxy" (after defeating the Go'auld and the others baddies) type stuff.. so ,would you rather have these two gahouts out of the way on Icarus--a place competently run mind you, by two civies Wray and Rush in their respective areas--or having command of troops in an active war?

With not having the option of just kicking them out (just HOW do you retire or chapter anyone out of the SG program? Especially IF THEY ARE UNRELIABLE, who knows what they may say or do?) tucking them away at some super secret base may just do the trick!

I think that the TPTB's were attempting to convey this-not sure- with their whole "wrong ppl. wrong place" spiel, I , mean we get Young, Telford, James and Scott--all supposedly have something "wrong" with their 201 file-plus hothead Greer for the mili side, Then we have the second stringer civies-Wray and Rush and the others--all good at what they do, but obviously not the best, mostly due to personal reasons tucked away there as well.

But hey-once again we find ourselves discussing/thinking about things that I am reasonable sure the TPTB's never discussed/thought about

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Name names please...:)

were you not ever on at SYFY forums when THE MAIN GATE MASTER would find any reason to attack Gbrew? He even made false accts to make it look like he was her new friend then "whammo!" cut her up on some silly thing about SG1 or SGA.

the guy had/has issues

looks like his FB page/group may have merged with this one

https://www.facebook.com/groups/419102908195959/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Young was the guy in charge of Icarus base (aka the dolt). Telford was the guy who was supposed to go on the mission to Destiny, and wasn't actually that bad as a character, just they killed him off then brought him back through some time loop thingy.

That was cute, wasnt it? :bored:

Another aspect I forgot about was survival. First you've got the material side of things, gathering the necessary resources to complete whatever needs to be fixed, hardly ever done. Secondly you have the degredation of the human spirit. The general idea is this; you have the best trained people trying to make the best of a hopelessness situation, the fact they having to contend with sheer boredom only to be ramped up too elven at a moments notice, they are well motivated, but everyone has limitations, everyone has a breaking point. Imagine episode after episode you see them becoming more and more weary, their humanity slowly being eroded away. It would also tie in, the trainng that these people have, they aren't ready for what is beyond into the frontier, the counter measures and contingency plans barely work, because the situation is beyond what they expected. Action - consequence - learn and then adapt.

THIS. That is why it was important to start the show off on solid footing. Im stuck at Chloe accompanying her daddy to Icarus. Why....just WHY did she pack fingerless gloves? When would she EVER need those in her suitcase, unless she planned all along to go traipsing around seeking sex? I wonder if she had some Victoria's Secret goodies in there too?

You could even have an episode where no one actually talks to one another (outside of orders and reports), because they've discussed everything that they know to each other, that way you'd see them creating their own little projects/hobbies, something to keep them going or distract from the daily life on board the ship, clearly showing off their coping mechanisms. Why am I coming up with these suggestions?

(bolded) That is your brain assimilating chaos...trying to make sense out of it when there is none. Nobody explored the whole ship? How come?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
were you not ever on at SYFY forums when THE MAIN GATE MASTER would find any reason to attack Gbrew? He even made false accts to make it look like he was her new friend then "whammo!" cut her up on some silly thing about SG1 or SGA.

the guy had/has issues

looks like his FB page/group may have merged with this one

https://www.facebook.com/groups/419102908195959/

No, I was completely unaware of it. :) I like Graybrew a lot.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

Young was the one on the way out.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
No, I was completely unaware of it. :) I like Graybrew a lot.
There are some very old threads about that situation floating around here. Yong and I knew about it, but I dunno how much attention it got here. It was a few years ago now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Young was the one on the way out.

That's right...Young is the one I have been meaning to say...Louis Ferreria. I thought he was totally unconvincing as a military officer, especially on this ship. His drunken breakdown should have automatically made him a subordinate to say...Rush or even Wray. Wray could have simply relevied him of command. But in this show she was nothing but a prop. Seeing how well they have used her in Agents of SHIELD shows me her acting chops, and she is awesome! In SGU she was somebody's lesbian fling. Telford was actually a bit more believable as military. But Grier...he had that down pat. Almost like they cast an actual jarhead in the role. :). TJ 's character was all wrong, Chloe's character...:), Lt Scott was just there to shag and round out the younger member of the cast (Chloe). Admittedly, Eli was done well. I liked his character, even if I did not at all identify with it. But, like a pro wrestler in a soap opera, he was out of place.

Using the same ship and props, with Eli as some awkward but brilliant hacker who somehow created an accidental wormhole as his friends Chloe, Scott (and say...12 other young adults) are whisked away to Destiny...that would have worked. No older adults. Just teens and older teens. Have them in the same struggle to get back home, and forget the background signal and any deep science. Have these kids try all sorts of stuff, explore the ship, tinker with controls and discover Destiny's secrets. That would have worked.

*sigh* Hindsight is 20/20.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Clearly someone's hobby aboard Destiny was to make Ikea furniture. Either that or the shit lasts forever. :icon_lol:

roflbot (10).jpg

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
That's right...Young is the one I have been meaning to say...Louis Ferreria. I thought he was totally unconvincing as a military officer, especially on this ship.
He's an OK actor, not outstanding in any role I have seen him in. What annoys me (and it's "out of school" to a degree) is L.F. is a hugely affable, out there kind of personality, yet he was cast to play Young??? WTF???
His drunken breakdown should have automatically made him a subordinate to say...Rush or even Wray. Wray could have simply relevied him of command. But in this show she was nothing but a prop. Seeing how well they have used her in Agents of SHIELD shows me her acting chops, and she is awesome! In SGU she was somebody's lesbian fling.
That's why I never got into the old Nabble forums mudslinging at the actors, or the rush needs a bath thread.
There is a line between Actor, and Character. One actor DID blow that line himself, and I had no issue having a dig when he did it.

Telford was actually a bit more believable as military. But Grier...he had that down pat. Almost like they cast an actual jarhead in the role. :)
A Shellshocked one, sure, but he did do well with the shitty part he was given.
. TJ 's character was all wrong,
I think TJ could have worked as a Doctor, but not as a medic. I get why they did it, but it made no damn sense.
Chloe's character...:), Lt Scott was just there to shag and round out the younger member of the cast (Chloe).
A-yup :)
Admittedly, Eli was done well. I liked his character, even if I did not at all identify with it. But, like a pro wrestler in a soap opera, he was out of place.
More like a cruiserweight or Lucheador in the heavyweight division. The intent is there, but the choice was just all wrong, and unbelievable.
Using the same ship and props, with Eli as some awkward but brilliant hacker who somehow created an accidental wormhole as his friends Chloe, Scott (and say...12 other young adults) are whisked away to Destiny...that would have worked. No older adults. Just teens and older teens. Have them in the same struggle to get back home, and forget the background signal and any deep science. Have these kids try all sorts of stuff, explore the ship, tinker with controls and discover Destiny's secrets. That would have worked.

*sigh* Hindsight is 20/20.
Quite possibly it would have.
SGU.................
We are the wrong actors with the wrong script................. :lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That's why I never got into the old Nabble forums mudslinging at the actors, or the rush needs a bath thread.
There is a line between Actor, and Character. One actor DID blow that line himself, and I had no issue having a dig when he did it.

I still think Robert Carlyle is a decent actor, but the role they crafted for him in SGU was too vague and undefined. He looked dirty and disheveled, and although that was more realistic for the backdrop, none of the other actors followed suit which made him look like a vagrant reading lines. I still feel he was too unkempt and dirty in the show (and evidently offset too). This is during his Dr Rush days on SGU:

robert_carlyle_3096319.jpg

This is after that:

Robert+Carlyle+Disney+ABC+Television+Group+SWJvaGhNvhdl.jpg

I see a big difference, with him looking better in the lower picture. But then again, an image search of Robert Carlyle will show that he is a master of appearance and attitude. A very interesting actor, But during SGU to me he looked like a beggar in need of a shower. :)

Besides that, you have to remember that basically NONE of the original characters were given any sort of mention during the show. Jack appeared as "altered clone" Jack for SGU during a ridiculous comm stones visit? How did Dr Rush become the foremost expert on Ancient technology and lore? Daniel is that person.