Linux is true Freedom in the cyber world.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Firefox and I could never get along. Okay downloaded chromium but where is the binary file?
http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/download-chromium

Not from the website. Use the Software Center.

Click "Menu" then start typing "software" and you'll see it pop up in the list.

--- merged: Aug 8, 2014 at 9:14 PM ---
You dont need it. Use the Software Center to get and install it. If you prefer to do it manually, follow instructions here: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/764

You beat me to it. :icon_lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I just realized how bloated Firefox has become. I logged into this site with both Chromium and Firefox. FF used twice the amount of RAM and was eating nearly twice as much CPU just idling. Wtf??

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I just realized how bloated Firefox has become. I logged into this site with both Chromium and Firefox. FF used twice the amount of RAM and was eating nearly twice as much CPU just idling. Wtf??

Firefox was ruined when version 5 came out. Ever since then, it's gone down hill.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Hey kids . how do I install Ubuntan on my puter . I'm trying to stick it on my external sata to give it a try but I can't seem to get it to do anything yet I found the install icon and burned it to a dvd also but nothing happens .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hey kids . how do I install Ubuntan on my puter . I'm trying to stick it on my external sata to give it a try but I can't seem to get it to do anything yet I found the install icon and burned it to a dvd also but nothing happens .

Go with Mint instead of Ubuntu. Im using it because I need a more utilitarian workspace. Mint is much more Windows-like in the user experience and it is also Ubuntu based. It comes with lots of codecs and stuff that you would have to install separately in Ubuntu.

To get it to boot, you have to tell your computer to boot the CD drive first. While the computer is starting up after you turn it on, hit either F2 or Delete (your BIOS will tell you which), and then go to Advanced BIOS or Boot Order to change it. Then it will boot into the CD.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Little annoyances like the overlay scrollbar in Ubuntu were driving me crazy. To fix that, you install Unity Tweak, then Scrolling, then choose Legacy scroll bar. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Who knew? You CAN install the Cinnamon desktop from Mint in Ubuntu 14.04. When you have more than one desktop environment available, you can choose which one from the boot screen. To install Cinnamon in Ubuntu, just follow the instructions here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/103691/install-linux-mints-new-cinnamon-desktop-on-ubuntu/

Once installed, you get Cinnamon's awesome start menu and UI features (from Linux Mint). I think most of the Linux users using a GUI are now choosing Mint over Ubuntu. Every geek in my office is running Linux, and since we all get to choose what distro, most (2/3) have chosen Mint 17 with Cinnamon. Others chose Fedora and the rest are working in CentOS 6 or 7 (I think it sucks as a desktop OS). I like Ubuntu because I have years of experience with it, but Im starting to be swayed by Mint. The power and user-friendliness of Ubuntu has been bested by Mint now. But since both are built on Debian, Ubuntu makes full use of the Cinnamon desktop.

Type this in a terminal:

Code:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ qiana main upstream import" >> /etc/sources.list'
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon

That's it. Choose the desktop environment at login (you can set it as default too)

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is interesting....the Cinnamon desktop in Ubuntu is much more efficient than Unity. In Unity, when you are in a program and you need to access the program menus, you have to click the active window and then use the menu along the top menu bar. In Mint, they are where you expect them to be...in the active window.

I have to say, even though I have had Mint in a VM for a couple of months, I never really used it in work. Without a doubt, it is by far the most Windows-like Linux distribution out there, hands down. I think this is because the UI is so polished and aesthetically pleasing. The system fonts, the proportions, the transitions and visual design feels very "expensive" (like Windows and OS X). But some things I have to do regularly like connect to other Linux machines over a network or X-session are not the same in Nautilus. "Connect to server" has a different UI and is not as useful to me in an enterprise environment connected to a network with shared resources. But it works well once you get what has been changed.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
After playing around in my Mint VM, I decided that Mint is a better choice for my home AND work desktop systems. It is so much like working in Windows, yet so much more useful and solid and PRETTY that it makes Unity look like Windows 95. :) The Mint launcher is pure brilliance. The settings makeover is brilliant. The system UI is brilliant. And at the core of it all is the rock solid Linux Ubuntu 14.04 kernel I was already working with. A no-brainer!