Linux is true Freedom in the cyber world.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That's impossible to avoid. They don't care if they break the law or break someone's privacy, because they know they can get away with it. Even if companies respected privacy, the bullying tactics will sooner rather than later, will make the system compromised. That's how Microsoft/Google became compromised. They were bullied into doing it. Get used to the spying because it's staying.

Have a look at what they are doing here

http://www.computerworld.com.au/art..._also_creepy_just_data_retention_ludlam_says/

You can avoid it. :) Where do you think the technology is coming from to intrude so deeply into our lives? Hint: not the government :) The government is hiring geeks to do this shit, and those geeks are collecting paychecks (and putting in backdoors and other ways to access it). So many Americans have this idea that "the government" has all this sophisticated shit which is way beyond the abilities of commercially available software. They are right. But that technology comes from the PRIVATE SECTOR. The brains needed to create these government tools simply do not exist "in house" (military/security). They cant pay the salaries, or create an attractive enough environment to get good talent.

Having said that, it is the geekdom which gives balance here, whether the government likes it or not. So, yes the spying will continue. But the exposure will also continue. Did you know that some viruses were created specifically to call attention to vulnerabilities built in by the NSA? You have seen blurbs like "Update to address a vulnerability which could give malicious parties full control over your computer" haven't you? :) If somebody knows that the holes are there, they can exploit them.

Another issue...POT SMOKING! I would estimate that about 90%+ high-end geeks smoke pot. Not drink, not use hard drugs...they smoke pot. And a requirement to land a government contract is to take a drug test, and pot is verboten. Good reading:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-fbi-cant-find-hackers-that-dont-smoke-pot

And the government is just not all that when it comes to opportunities for geeks. The private sector pays a LOT more, has cooler environments that have pool tables, unlimited snacks and drinks (hey, gotta feed the munchies!), and are very pot-friendly. In every company I have worked for the past 5 years, even the CEO smoked pot. Not potheads, mind you...just casual smokers.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
That's impossible to avoid. They don't care if they break the law or break someone's privacy, because they know they can get away with it. Even if companies respected privacy, the bullying tactics will sooner rather than later, will make the system compromised. That's how Microsoft/Google became compromised. They were bullied into doing it. Get used to the spying because it's staying.

Have a look at what they are doing here

http://www.computerworld.com.au/art..._also_creepy_just_data_retention_ludlam_says/

There are some encryption algorithms that are impossible to break, like PGP. However, using the open source GnuPG and not one of the closed source varieties where we have no way of knowing if it contains skeleton key code.

The only thing they can do with data using these unbreakable encryption algorithms is store them with the intent of breaking them in the future at some point, thus we have PRISM.

There are other means that shelter you from snooping. Privacy can be managed if you know how and even anonymity is possible when you know what you're doing. The average Joe, though, is only fooling themselves if they are not well versed in such methods.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
You can avoid it. :) Where do you think the technology is coming from to intrude so deeply into our lives? Hint: not the government :) The government is hiring geeks to do this shit, and those geeks are collecting paychecks (and putting in backdoors and other ways to access it). So many Americans have this idea that "the government" has all this sophisticated shit which is way beyond the abilities of commercially available software. They are right. But that technology comes from the PRIVATE SECTOR. The brains needed to create these government tools simply do not exist "in house" (military/security). They cant pay the salaries, or create an attractive enough environment to get good talent.

Having said that, it is the geekdom which gives balance here, whether the government likes it or not. So, yes the spying will continue. But the exposure will also continue. Did you know that some viruses were created specifically to call attention to vulnerabilities built in by the NSA? You have seen blurbs like "Update to address a vulnerability which could give malicious parties full control over your computer" haven't you? :) If somebody knows that the holes are there, they can exploit them.

Another issue...POT SMOKING! I would estimate that about 90%+ high-end geeks smoke pot. Not drink, not use hard drugs...they smoke pot. And a requirement to land a government contract is to take a drug test, and pot is verboten. Good reading:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-fbi-cant-find-hackers-that-dont-smoke-pot

And the government is just not all that when it comes to opportunities for geeks. The private sector pays a LOT more, has cooler environments that have pool tables, unlimited snacks and drinks (hey, gotta feed the munchies!), and are very pot-friendly. In every company I have worked for the past 5 years, even the CEO smoked pot. Not potheads, mind you...just casual smokers.
I know this, but you arouse more suspicion if you encrypt everything, because they see you hiding something as a threat and you'll become their innocent target. Speaking of those exploits, I get the suspicion that they are intentionally creating more exploits than patching them up. Those so called security fixes probably create more holes than they patch up. Not trying to be a conspiracy troll here, but that's the idea I get.

Bluce Ree

I know this, but you arouse more suspicion if you encrypt everything, because they see you hiding something as a threat and you'll become their innocent target. Speaking of those exploits, I get the suspicion that they are intentionally creating more exploits than patching them up. Those so called security fixes probably create more holes than they patch up. Not trying to be a conspiracy troll here, but that's the idea I get.

On closed source shit like Windows, possibly. On open source software like Linux? Not a chance in hell. Too many geeks worldwide eying the code openly available to anyone. Slipping in backdoors have been attempted on open source software but they are almost immediately caught by the plethora of eyes working on the code.

https://freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/felten/the-linux-backdoor-attempt-of-2003/

The code looks inconspicuously innocent, a series of logical comparisons except, upon closer inspection, the piece of code "current->uid = 0" actually executes an assignment and not a logical comparison because of the single "=" whereas comparisons use the double "==". This assignment effectively converts the currently logged in user to root, thereby compromising the entire system to whichever process gets to the exploit.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

You are correct (bolded). Try and open some of those update files. :) Here is some interesting reading (from June 2013):

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...rypted-access-to-outlook-skydrive-skype.shtml

All you have to know as far as software goes, is that if any part of it is "closed" (proprietary), the software is protecting something which allows it to become a commodity that can be sold. In other words, "closed source" = "made for profit". Anything from Microsoft is about money, not your security or your enjoyment. They need only provide enough perceived value to get you to spend your money on it...usually they sell you on "convenience".

Microsoft and Apple are in it for the money. Linux is there for the people and by the people, and that is why it is free and open source and will likely stay that way. Im only going to become concerned if Cisco gets into the act. :( Cisco handles the majority of routing on the internet and on intranets, in the form of switches, routers, firewall appliances, etc. The enterprise is way way more vulnerable and targeted by the NSA than individuals.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
On closed source shit like Windows, possibly. On open source software like Linux? Not a chance in hell. Too many geeks worldwide eying the code openly available to anyone. Slipping in backdoors have been attempted on open source software but they are almost immediately caught by the plethora of eyes working on the code.

https://freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/felten/the-linux-backdoor-attempt-of-2003/

The code looks inconspicuously innocent, a series of logical comparisons except, upon closer inspection, the piece of code "current->uid = 0" actually executes an assignment and not a logical comparison because of the single "=" whereas comparisons use the double "==". This assignment effectively converts the currently logged in user to root, thereby compromising the entire system to whichever process gets to the exploit.

You are correct (bolded). Try and open some of those update files. :) Here is some interesting reading (from June 2013):

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...rypted-access-to-outlook-skydrive-skype.shtml

All you have to know as far as software goes, is that if any part of it is "closed" (proprietary), the software is protecting something which allows it to become a commodity that can be sold. In otherwords, "closed source" = "made for profit". Anything from Microsoft is about money, not your security or your enjoyment. They need only provide enough perceived value to get you to spend your money on it...usually they sell you on "convenience".

Microsoft and Apple are in it for the money. Linux is there for the people and by the people, and that is why it is free and open source and will likely stay that way. Im only going to become concerned if Cisco gets into the act. :( Cisco handles the majority of routing on the internet and on intranets, in the form of switches, routers, firewall appliances, etc. The enterprise is way way more vulnerable and targeted by the NSA than individuals.

It's worrying that they can allow them to do this. I get the feeling we will soon have to migrate to linux and ditch windows entirely.

I don't hate windows products. I actually like using them, but it's troubling how they are bullied on this and forced into giving them private/exclusive access to information without consent/warrant. I get the feeling RIAA/MPAA will soon employ these tactics soon. Instead of giving us greater access to content, they see people acquiring stuff early, at a cheaper rate, as a threat. They should start trusting us. Otherwise, people will see an invasion into privacy as a threat and are more likely to resist.

Bluce Ree

It's worrying that they can allow them to do this. I get the feeling we will soon have to migrate to linux and ditch windows entirely.

I don't hate windows products. I actually like using them, but it's troubling how they are bullied on this and forced into giving them private/exclusive access to information without consent/warrant. I get the feeling RIAA/MPAA will soon employ these tactics soon. Instead of giving us greater access to content, they see people acquiring stuff early, at a cheaper rate, as a threat. They should start trusting us. Otherwise, people will see an invasion into privacy as a threat and are more likely to do resist.

The RIAA and MPAA have already been deputized in the US, in a sense. They can get the customer info behind an IP address suspected of pirating without a warrant.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I don't hate windows products. I actually like using them, but it's troubling how they are bullied on this and forced into giving them private/exclusive access to information without consent/warrant. I get the feeling RIAA/MPAA will soon employ these tactics soon. Instead of giving us greater access to content, they see people acquiring stuff early, at a cheaper rate, as a threat. They should start trusting us. Otherwise, people will see an invasion into privacy as a threat and are more likely to do resist.

Its a model. It is called "bundling". It started with Windows 98 when Microsoft integrated their browser into the operating system, and could not be removed. Since then, Internet Explorer has been part of Windows and any window can be used to browse. Try it. :) Open something like Control Panel or File Explorer, then type a web address into the location bar. Voila, Internet Explorer.

The bolded is the very near future. Windows 8 has killed Microsoft. The pricing on Server 2012 has killed Microsoft Enterprise for the near future. Apple has become boring and "me too", plus they are still charging a premium for a closed ecosystem that milks users for everything they can. Linux will most likely become very popular in the mainstream when the new Ubuntu Phones come out THIS year.

http://www.eweek.com/mobile/ubuntu-linux-phones-coming-in-2014.html

This is good...

You dont have to wait. :) Download Ubuntu or Mint, and then boot into the CD. You will get a LiveCD session which is the full operating system, and you can test drive it. Once people see it and use it, they will switch. Once they realize just how closed Microsoft and Apple are, it will turn them off. Especially when they see WHY they are closed.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Its a model. It is called "bundling". It started with Windows 98 when Microsoft integrated their browser into the operating system, and could not be removed. Since then, Internet Explorer has been part of Windows and any window can be used to browse. Try it. :) Open something like Control Panel or File Explorer, then type a web address into the location bar. Voila, Internet Explorer.

The bolded is the very near future. Windows 8 has killed Microsoft. The pricing on Server 2012 has killed Microsoft Enterprise for the near future. Apple has become boring and "me too", plus they are still charging a premium for a closed ecosystem that milks users for everything they can. Linux will most likely become very popular in the mainstream when the new Ubuntu Phones come out THIS year.

http://www.eweek.com/mobile/ubuntu-linux-phones-coming-in-2014.html

This is good...

You dont have to wait. :) Download Ubuntu or Mint, and then boot into the CD. You will get a LiveCD session which is the full operating system, and you can test drive it. Once people see it and use it, they will switch. Once they realize just how closed Microsoft and Apple are, it will turn them off. Especially when they see WHY they are closed.
dling the iso right now. There are so many version of linux though lol but I got mint 17

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
dling the iso right now. There are so many version of linux though lol but I got mint 17

Best choice for somebody jumping ship from Microsoft. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

The bolded is also true, but the government already has your employment and income history, they are going to EXPECT a geek to take extra measures. They have your criminal and travel history too, so it is unlikely that a geek with no travel or connections to "the enemy" in the way of phone calls and visits is going to red flag him or her. And if the NSA cannot detect if you have Tor or Cryptocat installed on your Linux machine, they wont be aware that you can browse and chat anonymously. Install Truecrypt or "secure" chat software on your Windows or Apple machine and they know it. Then, the appropriate "update" will get installed to give whatever access is needed.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
The bolded is also true, but the government already has your employment and income history, they are going to EXPECT a geek to take extra measures. They have your criminal and travel history too, so it is unlikely that a geek with no travel or connections to "the enemy" in the way of phone calls and visits is going to red flag him or her. And if the NSA cannot detect if you have Tor or Cryptocat installed on your Linux machine, they wont be aware that you can browse and chat anonymously. Install Truecrypt or "secure" chat software on your Windows or Apple machine and they know it. Then, the appropriate "update" will get installed to give whatever access is needed.

It's a bit annoying that I can't get my buddy to use something other than skype. He's a high prolific artist, who won't use anything but skype. He's also a mac fan/user, so it's a bit hard for him to move into something else.

By the way,this may seem like a dumb question, but if I use trillian,and use it to log into skype account, am I in the clear, or no?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's a bit annoying that I can't get my buddy to use something other than skype. He's a high prolific artist, who won't use anything but skype. He's also a mac fan/user, so it's a bit hard for him to move into something else.

By the way,this may seem like a dumb question, but if I use trillian,and use it to log into skype account, am I in the clear, or no?

I am unfamiliar with Trillian. :( But there is Skype for Linux. You can safely use it without it being able to do things outside of the application like it can when installed in Windows. The Mac version runs safely too. But the conversations/chats/video calls themselves are still vulnerable to monitoring no matter what platform it is installed on.

Most artists are Mac fanbois. It is sort of like a fashion accessory for them. :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I am unfamiliar with Trillian. :( But there is Skype for Linux. You can safely use it without it being able to do things outside of the application like it can when installed in Windows. The Mac version runs safely too. But the conversations/chats/video calls themselves are still vulnerable to monitoring no matter what platform it is installed on.

Most artists are Mac fanbois. It is sort of like a fashion accessory for them. :)
I see, so there is no other way, other than to move onto another client. On the linux Mint now and already loving it. It's so...much faster than windows 7/8. I guess I can get a couple more years into this little netbook I have. I have it installing in the background while I am writing this. I can't do that in windows lol.

As for artists using macs, yeah, they are pretty hardcore fanboys that refuse to change. I would love to have more music making software that's compatible with linux, but that's still a far cry. He is a pretty heavy mac fanboy, but can't force people to change. Oh well.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I see, so there is no other way, other than to move onto another client. On the linux Mint now and already loving it. It's so...much faster than windows 7/8. I guess I can get a couple more years into this little netbook I have. I have it installing in the background while I am writing this. I can't do that in windows lol.

As for artists using macs, yeah, they are pretty hardcore fanboys that refuse to change. I would love to have more music making software that's compatible with linux, but that's still a far cry. He is a pretty heavy mac fanboy, but can't force people to change. Oh well.

Just a little geek trivia about Mint...it is Debian-based, like Ubuntu. That means it uses Apt, and you can install anything on Mint that can be installed in Ubuntu. Use the Software Center to find what you need. You will definitely want these particular items:

Shutter: gives you a Snipping Tool replacement
Scribus: Full featured PDF reader and editor (Adobe Acrobat replacement)
Evince: PDF reader
cups-pdf: Allows you to print anything to a PDF (web pages? documents?_
Pinta Image Editor: Gives you a replacement for MS Paint, but has more features than Paint (Mint has Gimp, but that is more like a Photoshop replacement and is cone very user friendly IMO)
ntfs-3g: You need this if you plan to attach external drives formatted with NTFS. The system may install it for you when you need to do this, so dont worry. :)

Everything else just...works. :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Just a little geek trivia about Mint...it is Debian-based, like Ubuntu. That means it uses Apt, and you can install anything on Mint that can be installed in Ubuntu. Use the Software Center to find what you need. You will definitely want these particular items:

Shutter: gives you a Snipping Tool replacement
Scribus: Full featured PDF reader and editor (Adobe Acrobat replacement)
Evince: PDF reader
cups-pdf: Allows you to print anything to a PDF (web pages? documents?_
Pinta Image Editor: Gives you a replacement for MS Paint, but has more features than Paint (Mint has Gimp, but that is more like a Photoshop replacement and is cone very user friendly IMO)
ntfs-3g: You need this if you plan to attach external drives formatted with NTFS. The system may install it for you when you need to do this, so dont worry. :)

Everything else just...works. :)
I encountered a problem when I tried to install steam. it gave me an error message of Broken dependencies, but I managed to get it fixed by running a few commands in terminal.

Bluce Ree

I encountered a problem when I tried to install steam. it gave me an error message of Broken dependencies, but I managed to get it fixed by running a few commands in terminal.

Oh, no! OM1 is having convulsions reading that you, a Linux newbie ... *gasp* ... used the command line interface for something, with relative ease, and got it done! :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh, no! OM1 is having convulsions reading that you, a Linux newbie ... *gasp* ... used the command line interface for something, with relative ease, and got it done! :icon_lol:

Hey, I didnt say I cant use it...I just dont like to! :anim_59:. I think it is because I am FORCED to use it at least half the time now, since 2/3 of the servers dont have a GUI. Im getting better at it, but I will never like it. :eusa_snooty: :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Steam....this means GAMES. :) You will want PlayOnLinux. Get it and you can run full-on Windows games in Mint.

Bluce Ree

Hey, I didnt say I cant use it...I just dont like to! :anim_59:. I think it is because I am FORCED to use it at least half the time now, since 2/3 of the servers dont have a GUI. Im getting better at it, but I will never like it. :eusa_snooty: :P

You'll come around. You just need to get those prejudices out of your mind. :D