Linux is true Freedom in the cyber world.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Oh, no! OM1 is having convulsions reading that you, a Linux newbie ... *gasp* ... used the command line interface for something, with relative ease, and got it done! :icon_lol:
haha! computers and I go a long way back so it's second nature almost. I am having some trouble again though. I have had to reset my root password, even though I had entered the correct password. All the updates are up to date. Any ideas why? i am being forced to change it again...

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
haha! computers and I go a long way back so it's second nature almost. I am having some trouble again though. I have had to reset my root password, even though I had entered the correct password. All the updates are up to date. Any ideas why? i am being forced to change it again...

I'm not sure why it's forcing you to reset your password every time.

When you installed Mint, it should have asked you to create a user. Try not to make a habit of logging in as "root". Only escalate your credentials to "root" when you need to make modifications. The root user is completely unrestricted. In fact, you can issue the command "rm / -rf" as root and delete your entire drive, including the OS.

Logging into your Linux system should be done with a regular user you created.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

When you installed Mint, it should have asked you to create a user. Try not to make a habit of logging in as "root". Only escalate your credentials to "root" when you need to make modifications. The root user is completely unrestricted. In fact, you can issue the command "rm / -rf" as root and delete your entire drive, including the OS.

When you install programs, the root password is the same as your user password. Mint and Ubuntu have this behavior. Is it really asking you to change it or is it just asking you to input it?

heisenberg

Earl Grey

When you install programs, the root password is the same as your user password. Mint and Ubuntu have this behavior. Is it really asking you to change it or is it just asking you to input it?
I know they are the same passwords, but the computer thinks I am typing in the wrong password. I have had to reset it again, but when I try and install an app and then try and enter in the correct password i.e. the root/main password, it says I have entered the wrong password.

Bluce Ree

I know they are the same passwords, but the computer thinks I am typing in the wrong password. I have had to reset it again, but when I try and install an app and then try and enter in the correct password i.e. the root/main password, it says I have entered the wrong password.

That could be a keyboard problem.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well it works fine in root terminal...so...?

Go into the system settings and make sure it says US Keyboard layout. Also, make sure your clock is showing the correct time zone. It would have asked you all that during the install.
--- merged: Aug 7, 2014 at 11:02 PM ---
Well it works fine in root terminal...so...?

Root terminal is basic ascii.

Last edited by a moderator:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Go into the system settings and make sure it says US Keyboard layout. Also, make sure your clock is showing the correct time zone. It would have asked you all that during the install.

Yup. I have checked that. It's 4:20pm here and the keyboard layout is US, so what else could be wrong?

heisenberg

Earl Grey

made the password shorter. That fixed the problem

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
made the password shorter. That fixed the problem

Have you played around with the themes and stuff in Mint? If you dont already know, Mint is probably the best looking desktop Linux out there. I use Ubuntu, but it is more utility oriented than Mint even though it has a very user friendly desktop with Unity.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Have you played around with the themes and stuff in Mint? If you dont already know, Mint is probably the best looking desktop Linux out there. I use Ubuntu, but it is more utility oriented than Mint even though it has a very user friendly desktop with Unity.
Yeah I am. I love it how quick stuff installs. It sometimes locks up my pc though.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah I am. I love it how quick stuff installs. It sometimes locks up my pc though.

That is not normal behavior for any flavor of Linux with a desktop GUI. Did you wipe the disk before installing? Are you set up for dual boot? Windows and Apple have lockups, but Linux usually does not .lock up. Usually "lock up" in Linux is caused by compiz (graphics).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
throughout usage. Firefox is what's causing it. I tried sr iron, but its flashplayer is fucked.

Ah....flash. :facepalm:. The ONLY stable Flash implementation available for Ubuntu or Mint is contained within the Chrome browser for Linux. I just went through this, since the vSphere web-based vmmanager needs Flash 11, and the flashplayer is 5 or 6. Flash in general is persona non-grata in Linux from here forward.

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

throughout usage. Firefox is what's causing it. I tried sr iron, but its flashplayer is fucked.

Install Chromium. It's the original version from which Google Chrome is derived. It is NOT Google's Chrome with all the phone-home code.

I find the version of Firefox that came with Mint to be unstable. I get full browser freezes too often.