Lab Grown Meat

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not e-coli. When e-coli is present anywhere in your body other than your lower intestine you can become mortally sick. E-coli makes its way into meat through contamination. When they slice open the guts of an animal the digestive tract spills out along with its contents. Hunters who process their own game take measures to keep the meat as clean as possible and we wear gloves. Properly processed and cleaned meat can be eaten safely raw. I wouldn't chance eating anything raw from a market.

I take it you never wash your fruit?

Did you miss the part where lab grown meat is not just sterile muscle?

I'll make sure to pass that on to the wankers who got sick from eating e-coli laced romaine lettuce and the 200 some wankers who got sick from eating e-coli laced JSB hamburger meat last year.

I smoke one here and there to get that nicotine high.

:) Of course I wash my fruit, and I cook my food. All I am saying is that doing those things is a choice, and not at all a requirement to make the food edible OR healthy. In either case, we are talking about actual food, not artificial foods. Lab grown "meat" is not meat. I am not sure why you are not seeing that. It is artificial food, artificial "meat", and it is not the same as actual meat. Go ahead and let them make it, and let those people who are okay with it go ahead and eat it. Perhaps that will have some sort of impact or give those people a way to virtue signal their efforts to save the animals. But this group of artificial meat eaters will be a small group, like vegans and frugivores and breatharians. If my meat is not coming from an animal, I will not eat it. Just speaking for myself here.

Kadaitcha Man

GateFans Noob
:) Of course I wash my fruit, and I cook my food. All I am saying is that doing those things is a choice, and not at all a requirement to make the food edible OR healthy. In either case, we are talking about actual food, not artificial foods. Lab grown "meat" is not meat. I am not sure why you are not seeing that.

Is a calf born without a head still a cow?

Is a test-tube baby still an actual human?

Is this still an actual sheep?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/25/...uterus-lamb-sheep-birth-premie-preterm-infant

You're debating philosophy not biology. Lab grown meat is produced by synthetic means but it is done using actual animal cells, making it bioidentical to live meat. Your argument is more existential than technical.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Is a calf born without a head still a cow?

Is a test-tube baby still an actual human?

Is this still an actual sheep?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/25/...uterus-lamb-sheep-birth-premie-preterm-infant

You're debating philosophy not biology. Lab grown meat is produced by synthetic means but it is done using actual animal cells, making it bioidentical to live meat. Your argument is more existential than technical.

The bolded is false for several reasons. Before I begin my argument, please watch this. Please take note of each step made to produce this substance. This may be the most processed "food" I have ever heard of. Entirely manmade, and entirely artificial. The purpose for it to exist is political in nature, not natural or biological.

Kadaitcha Man

GateFans Noob
The bolded is false for several reasons. Before I begin my argument, please watch this. Please take note of each step made to produce this substance. This may be the most processed "food" I have ever heard of. Entirely manmade, and entirely artificial. The purpose for it to exist is political in nature, not natural or biological.

Perhaps you didn't mean to do it on purpose but you just posted a video that supported everything I've said in this thread in 2 minutes and 47 seconds. Thanks for that, mate. :beckett_new049:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Perhaps you didn't mean to do it on purpose but you just posted a video that supported everything I've said in this thread in 2 minutes and 47 seconds. Thanks for that, mate. :beckett_new049:

I find it funny you see it that way! On my side of the argument, we start with an actual calf which is raised by eating grass in a pasture. The meat is grown on the calf as it grows, with all of it's capillaries and fat and blood and life force stimulating it's growth. Mind you, no artificial processes have come into play so far. At butchering time, the calf is killed for meat and the only processing done is to skin and cut the carcass into steaks and other cuts. This process is basically the same as our original hunting ancestors did, without the hunting and chasing down of the beast.

On your side of the argument, a person comes with a syringe and extracts stem cells from a calf, then by soaking it in an artificial medium in a lab it stimulates those stem cells to develop muscle tissue which actually is more similar to a tumor than to a muscle. The mass is never a living being. It stays in the lab, growing within this artificial nutrient bath until the mass is large enough to be made into a patty or shaped artificially into other shapes. It has a uniform texture, and because it does not have actual natural fat, it probably has an unnatural taste as well. 100% of it's existence has been artificial and processed. We got to see the process in the video.

Why you feel the video is somehow making an appealing case for artificially grown lab meat as something we should consume is curious to me. :) I would no more eat this substance than I would consider eating vegan soy-based meat substitutes calling themselves "vegan meat". There will be those who actually want this substance over real meat, and who will gladly consume it and buy it. Many already consume soy-based "meats" and soy "milk" because their politics and personal ethics tell them that killing animals for food is bad. Good for them! They can have all of it to themselves. Miss me on it though. :)

Last edited: