Lab Grown Meat

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I find it gross though - call me strange but I won't hurt any animal for consumption or for anything else. I don't see the point? Unless it was for survival situations and I had absolutely no choice but to, then maybe, but these days you have a choice. A choice to make.

Next though you'll justify cannibalism because human flesh can also be eaten. Some tribes still do this. Sorry but I faint when I see flesh or blood.

I don't hold people's preferences against them. :) But I also don't want people telling me that eating meat is cruel. I don't want anyone telling me that my food suffers when it is killed, or for them to show me baby individuals of my food animals. Eating your own kind is unnatural, so no ethical reasons not to do it are necessary.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I won't force my ideas onto others, but I would never or could never work in a butcher shop. It's not just the smell, but I don't like seeing cut open body parts of any living thing. I know it sounds strange, but for some reason, whether it's anything living even bugs that get squashed, I don't like staring at either.

Anyway, Vegan friendly leather.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technol...cked-company-develops-vegan-friendly-leather/

I get where you are coming from, but human bodies were designed to eat real food. That means meat, plants, and even those bugs you find disgusting. Most every processed food made by Man is unhealthy for consumption long term. Meat comes from animals, not test tubes. Meat contains capillaries, nerve fibers, blood, muscle and fat. The lab grown "meat" has none of that. I am unwilling to eat fake food for some political/ethical agenda. There is absolutely nothing wrong with killing and eating other animals for food.

Last edited:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I like steaks that mooed, not ones that are a "grown" or cultured in a lab! that is not real food. Like a veggie burger- not real food and very nasty! :P

FYI- grandpa owned a farm....seen animals slaughtered, was chased by a headless chicken at age 5! :P Still eat REAL food!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I like steaks that mooed, not ones that are a "grown" or cultured in a lab! that is not real food. Like a veggie burger- not real food and very nasty! :P

FYI- grandpa owned a farm....seen animals slaughtered, was chased by a headless chicken at age 5! :P Still eat REAL food!

Totally agree!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, provided if you could rewrite the laws of physics and instead of using money as an exchange which just loses value and meaning, you could perhaps give back the time lost. Now, that's a fair system IMO. Imagine a world where you could use time as an exchange of currency? Time can be bought and sold.

Another AWESOME story idea!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The efficiency would need to be 100% to make it work. Because just like how energy and matter is lost during translation, same way data and information is and same way time is.

Its fantasy since time travel/time as an actual physical thing does not exist. It is a construct we perceive as humans but time actually does not exist. But it would make for a great story!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Looks like there is already a concept on this. Remember this movie? Cool concept nontheless but it has a very good message. The elite will have everything but we will have very little.

Nope. This scenario has been played out in almost every century. Once the tipping point is reached where the masses are struggling to feed and house themselves whilst the rich sit on the majority of wealth, the masses invariably rise up and not only take that wealth and re-distribute it in some way, but they go after the rich AND their families and kill them. It has happened in all of these situations. The English Revolution destroyed the Feudal System, the French Revolution overthrew the Monarchy as did the Spanish and Russian Revolutions. America is due for it's revolution against the rich. There should not be multi-billionaires in America.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Kadaitcha Man

GateFans Noob

they want us to feed lab grown meat which our bodies does not know what to do...Yeah, no...

Can you provide references? Lab grown meat is just meat without a head that would be eating shyte and additives they put into the feed. Lab grown meat doesn't need to be slaughtered and has almost no chance of fecal contamination. I'll have my meat any which way I can. If lab grown meat is cleaner and safer, and not in the climate change way, then no wucka's because I'm stocking up.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Can you provide references? Lab grown meat is just meat without a head that would be eating shyte and additives they put into the feed. Lab grown meat doesn't need to be slaughtered and has almost no chance of fecal contamination. I'll have my meat any which way I can. If lab grown meat is cleaner and safer, and not in the climate change way, then no wucka's because I'm stocking up.

No no no. Lab grown meat is NOT meat. It is not food, and it is not natural. Lab grown "meat" does not contain the veins and capillaries and fat and other tissue contained in meat. It is not a substance which the body is designed to consume, and it costs more to create it than it does to raise cattle for it.

1. There is absolutely nothing wrong with killing animals for food. Humans have been doing it as long as there have been humans. Our hominid ancestors also did it. Our first art ever was created to portray prey animals and food animals. The first tribal leaders were chosen on their ability to hunt and provide food for their tribe.
  2. Lab grown ANYTHING is suspect, because it is artificial, and because science does not really know how to create actual meat. What they are calling meat is really just a protein matrix which resembles meat.
  3. Ewwww. :)
hunting.jpg
images.jpg

Kadaitcha Man

GateFans Noob
No no no. Lab grown meat is NOT meat. It is not food, and it is not natural. Lab grown "meat" does not contain the veins and capillaries and fat and other tissue contained in meat. It is not a substance which the body is designed to consume, and it costs more to create it than it does to raise cattle for it.
  1. There is absolutely nothing wrong with killing animals for food. Humans have been doing it as long as there have been humans. Our hominid ancestors also did it. Our first art ever was created to portray prey animals and food animals. The first tribal leaders were chosen on their ability to hunt and provide food for their tribe.
  2. Lab grown ANYTHING is suspect, because it is artificial, and because science does not really know how to create actual meat. What they are calling meat is really just a protein matrix which resembles meat.
  3. Ewwww. :)

1. You're preaching to the choir about killing animals. I used to hunt my own meat. If I can get my meat more easily with equal nutrition and less or none of the down side then it's on. I don't care if it's grown in a lab or cloned in a body-snatchers pod.

2. Lab grown meat is cultured from cells. The meat is grown with fat. The only difference between this meat and a real animal is that it wasn't grown inside the body of an animal. Read up on the science behind it.

3. Consider the shyte you put into your body today. Most meats you buy are loaded with hormones and antibiotics and fish with mercury and other toxins. If I could get the same meat sterile without the extras why would I say no? Because blokes like you think it's unnatural?

It may cost a lot today but, like everything else, that cost will come down significantly.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
1. You're preaching to the choir about killing animals. I used to hunt my own meat. If I can get my meat more easily with equal nutrition and less or none of the down side then it's on. I don't care if it's grown in a lab or cloned in a body-snatchers pod.

2. Lab grown meat is cultured from cells. The meat is grown with fat. The only difference between this meat and a real animal is that it wasn't grown inside the body of an animal. Read up on the science behind it.

By definition, this substance is not meat. Meat is grown within an animal (or fruit). A living being. Actual meat has blood in it, along with the capillaries and veins which grew the meat. The tissue is composed of the proteins and carbs the animal or plant has drawn from the earth to build it. The meat has grown as the animal or fruit grows from it's infancy/seedling state to it's adult state. As such, nothing ever created in a lab will ever be actual meat.

3. Consider the shyte you put into your body today. Most meats you buy are loaded with hormones and antibiotics and fish with mercury and other toxins. If I could get the same meat sterile without the extras why would I say no? Because blokes like you think it's unnatural?

It may cost a lot today but, like everything else, that cost will come down significantly.

Yes, give me the shit that is in natural meat, even if it has the hormones and antibiotics or whatever (I only buy organic meat :)). I already pay more money for high end meat products so I do not have to worry about the hormones and antibiotics. But you can't even PAY ME to consume some lab grown substance.

Kadaitcha Man

GateFans Noob
By definition, this substance is not meat. Meat is grown within an animal (or fruit). A living being. Actual meat has blood in it, along with the capillaries and veins which grew the meat. The tissue is composed of the proteins and carbs the animal or plant has drawn from the earth to build it. The meat has grown as the animal or fruit grows from it's infancy/seedling state to it's adult state. As such, nothing ever created in a lab will ever be actual meat.

If both types of meat are bioidentical, what's the problem? Because one of them didn't grow up with a brain, love its mommy and get slaughtered in a filthy slaughterhouse then chopped up in a filthy meat packing factory filled with flies and feces? You seem to have more of a philosophical issue than a technical one.

Yes, give me the shit that is in natural meat, even if it has the hormones and antibiotics or whatever (I only buy organic meat :)). I already pay more money for high end meat products so I do not have to worry about the hormones and antibiotics. But you can't even PAY ME to consume some lab grown substance.

Organic. I read some of your posts and you seem like someone who questions everything. You rage against mainstream consensus on various subjects yet you gleefully boast that you buy organic food as if it's any different. You draw some rather squiggly lines in the sand.

The only organic anything you can be sure of is free of any crap is what you grow yourself in your own, isolated environment. Even hunting or fishing won't guarantee your food is free from contaminants.

My view is let's give it a try rather than tear it down before it hits the shelves. I'm sure you've changed your mind on many things throughout your life that, at the time, were things you firmly dug your feet into the cement about and never thought you would ever think differently. I know I have. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If both types of meat are bioidentical, what's the problem? Because one of them didn't grow up with a brain, love its mommy and get slaughtered in a filthy slaughterhouse then chopped up in a filthy meat packing factory filled with flies and feces? You seem to have more of a philosophical issue than a technical one.

It is both. But scientifically, the lab grown substance is simply not meat. This is a scientific fact, not a philosophical one. Meat that our bodies are meant to consume is indeed meat. Our bodies were designed to process "filthy" meat sources. Do you not realize that processing meats and eating clean and inspected foodstuffs is a relatively modern thing? Humans hunted and killed wild animals (as you also have said you do), they skin and butcher them and then eat them. And again, you have used an example of non-organic meat sources to bolster your argument. Organic meats are NOT processed in filthy slautherhouses. BTW, all slaughterhouses are required to maintain a certain level of sanitation. :) I do not care about the familial relationships between food animals and their parents or offspring. I think that philosophically, it is illogical to form an emotional relationship with your food.

Organic. I read some of your posts and you seem like someone who questions everything. You rage against mainstream consensus on various subjects yet you gleefully boast that you buy organic food as if it's any different. You draw some rather squiggly lines in the sand.

I do question everything. It would be very unwise not to do so, given the absolute insanity permeating our society today. I do know where my meat comes from. And yes, organically raised foodstuffs are MUCH different than non-organic, especially in California where the term "organic" is a legal classification backed by state laws and punitive punishments extending far beyond the basic USDA requirements. I can actually drive to where my meat is sourced and walk through the facility.

http://www.eatwild.com/products/california.html

I cannot tell yet, but you seem to be somebody who is an early adopter of trends without knowing all of the facts. This is not meant to be an insult. Lab grown "meat" is not meat.

meat
/mēt/
noun
  1. 1.
    the flesh of an animal (especially a mammal) as food.
    "pieces of meat"
    synonyms: flesh, muscle
The only organic anything you can be sure of is free of any crap is what you grow yourself in your own, isolated environment. Even hunting or fishing won't guarantee your food is free from contaminants.

Not true. I do not know what state you live in, but I live in California where you CAN be sure your food is free of crap. Also, what exactly is a "contaminant" to you? Dirt? :) Our bodies are designed to eat meat and plants. For hundreds of thousands of years, that meat and those plants could have insect eggs and dirt on them, and the meat could be from a sick animal who died of disease. Yet, the body would process the meat as it does for all other animals. And make no mistake, humans are animals. Eating sterilized foods and lab grown substances is unnatural.

My view is let's give it a try rather than tear it down before it hits the shelves. I'm sure you've changed your mind on many things throughout your life that, at the time, were things you firmly dug your feet into the cement about and never thought you would ever think differently. I know I have. :)

Sure I have. I continue to try new things. :) But I will never try lab grown meats, or new medications for things that food can cure. I will never have anything implanted, or eat substitutes for actual food.

Last edited:

Kadaitcha Man

GateFans Noob
It is both. But scientifically, the lab grown substance is simply not meat. This is a scientific fact, not a philosophical one. Meat that our bodies are meant to consume is indeed meet. Our bodies were designed to process "filthy" meat sources. Do you not realize that processing meats and eating clean and inspected foodstuffs is a relatively modern thing? Humans hunted and killed wild animals (as you also have said you do), they skin and butcher them and then eat them. And again, you have used an example of non-organic meat sources to bolster your argument. Organic meats are NOT processed in filthy slautherhouses. BTW, all slaughterhouses are required to maintain a certain level of sanitation. :) I do not care about the familial relationships between food animals and their parents or offspring. I think that philosophically, it is illogical to form an emotional relationship with your food.

Yes, very nice, but none of this has anything to do with the meat of this conversation, pardon the pun.

I do question everything. It would be very unwise not to do so, given the absolute insanity permeating our society today. I do know where my meat comes from. And yes, organically raised foodstuffs are MUCH different than non-organic, especially in California where the term "organic" is a legal classification backed by state laws and punitive punishments extending far beyond the basic USDA requirements. I can actually drive to where my meat is sourced and walk through the facility.

http://www.eatwild.com/products/california.html

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/food/how-safe-is-your-ground-beef

Scroll down to the graph. The green is organic meat.

CR-Health-Percent-bacteria-chart-8-15

I cannot tell yet, but you seem to be somebody who is an early adopter of trends without knowing all of the facts. This is not meant to be an insult. Lab grown "meat" is not meat.

Far from it. I'm old as dirt and really set in my ways mostly. I'm also a real carnivore. Give me meat in any form and I'll eat the piss out of it as long as it's not processed shyte.

meat
/mēt/
noun
  1. 1.
    the flesh of an animal (especially a mammal) as food.
    "pieces of meat"
    synonyms: flesh, muscle

Synonym = muscle. We're talking muscle tissue grown in a controlled environment by culturing muscle cells. You're having a philosophical debate.

Not true. I do not know what state you live in, but I live in California where you CAN be sure your food is free of crap. Also, what exactly is a "contaminant" to you? Dirt? :) Our bodies are designed to eat meat and plants. For hundreds of thousands of years, that meat and those plants could have insect eggs and dirt on them, and the meat could be from a sick animal who died of disease. Yet, the body would process the meat as it does for all other animals. And make no mistake, humans are animals. Eating sterilized foods and lab grown substances is unnatural.

You know what I mean by contaminants. I named them in my previous post.

Sure I have. I continue to try new things. :) But I will never try lab grown meats, or new medications for things that food can cure. I will never have anything implanted, or eat substitutes for actual food.

Never say never. I said I'd never give up smoking fags but I managed, mostly. I went from two packs a day down to one or two a week.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, very nice, but none of this has anything to do with the meat of this conversation, pardon the pun.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/food/how-safe-is-your-ground-beef

Scroll down to the graph. The green is organic meat.

CR-Health-Percent-bacteria-chart-8-15

I do not see your point. Bacteria is SUPPOSED to be in beef, and in our guts and in our food and in our water. If it weren't for that bacteria, our immune systems would be weak and unable to deal with many much more harmful bacteria.

Sterilized food is unnatural.

Far from it. I'm old as dirt and really set in my ways mostly. I'm also a real carnivore. Give me meat in any form and I'll eat the piss out of it as long as it's not processed shyte.

Synonym = muscle. We're talking muscle tissue grown in a controlled environment by culturing muscle cells. You're having a philosophical debate.

Well, I am old too but I think I look a lot younger than most of the dirt I have seen! :anim_59: As far as muscle tissue vs actual muscle, you have already given me my argument. Muscle cells are not food by themselves. They are a source of basic protein. Eating actual meat is eating much more than just muscle cells. Just like white bread, which is 100% wheat, it has been bleached of all nutrients and food value but is "bioidentical" to normal wheat. I will never advocate artificial foods, because to do that is to encourage and incentivize further development of it. What is wrong with ACTUAL FOOD? Nothing, really. It just cannot be as easily monetized as a proprietary analogue of food.

You know what I mean by contaminants. I named them in my previous post.

Natural contaminants make for a stronger immune system. That is a fact. Unnatural contaminants are not found in organic foods because (in California) it is illegal.

Never say never. I said I'd never give up smoking fags but I managed, mostly. I went from two packs a day down to one or two a week.

I quit after 35 years. But I vape now instead. Been going for 6 years now. I know the connection between "market response" and the development of new products in a very intimate way. If companies see a market for products, they will exploit it. They will release articles telling about it's development, they will create test products, and they will measure responses. If the response is negative, the product gets shelved. For this fake meat, that would be a great thing.

Kadaitcha Man

GateFans Noob
I do not see your point. Bacteria is SUPPOSED to be in beef, and in our guts and in our food and in our water. If it weren't for that bacteria, our immune systems would be weak and unable to deal with many much more harmful bacteria.

Not e-coli. When e-coli is present anywhere in your body other than your lower intestine you can become mortally sick. E-coli makes its way into meat through contamination. When they slice open the guts of an animal the digestive tract spills out along with its contents. Hunters who process their own game take measures to keep the meat as clean as possible and we wear gloves. Properly processed and cleaned meat can be eaten safely raw. I wouldn't chance eating anything raw from a market.

Sterilized food is unnatural.

I take it you never wash your fruit?

Well, I am old too but I think I look a lot younger than most of the dirt I have seen! :anim_59: As far as muscle tissue vs actual muscle, you have already given me my argument. Muscle cells are not food by themselves. They are a source of basic protein. Eating actual meat is eating much more than just muscle cells. Just like white bread, which is 100% wheat, it has been bleached of all nutrients and food value but is "bioidentical" to normal wheat. I will never advocate artificial foods, because to do that is to encourage and incentivize further development of it. What is wrong with ACTUAL FOOD? Nothing, really. It just cannot be as easily monetized as a proprietary analogue of food.

Did you miss the part where lab grown meat is not just sterile muscle?

Natural contaminants make for a stronger immune system. That is a fact. Unnatural contaminants are not found in organic foods because (in California) it is illegal.

I'll make sure to pass that on to the wankers who got sick from eating e-coli laced romaine lettuce and the 200 some wankers who got sick from eating e-coli laced JSB hamburger meat last year.

I quit after 35 years. But I vape now instead. Been going for 6 years now. I know the connection between "market response" and the development of new products in a very intimate way. If companies see a market for products, they will exploit it. They will release articles telling about it's development, they will create test products, and they will measure responses. If the response is negative, the product gets shelved. For this fake meat, that would be a great thing.

I smoke one here and there to get that nicotine high.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Just saw this passing on Twitter and thought it fit here. (didn't read it, just posting FYI)

Kadaitcha Man

GateFans Noob
I don't eat meat but I do eat eggs which contains animal protein. I choose not eat meat, not because of moral reasons, but because I simply don't like the smell. I don't like seeing animals being killed or tortured either, but if there was a way to change the human physiology, I would. I found the middleman which is eating eggs. I love eggs and plus it keeps me full and alive. They are also cheaper than meat and have less chances of getting diseases. Eating meat is not 'wrong'. It's only wrong when it's senseless killing which humans have been known for. The problem with lab grown meat is that it brings with it convinence and that is a problem because you are giving control of a necessity to a single entity. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to hand over food control to them.

Bring on convenience. If it tastes as good and is as good or better than animal meat then rack off and leave it to me! There is no single entity that will own lab grown meat. It's being worked on by many startups in many countries.