Lab Grown Meat

heisenberg

Earl Grey

oh my god...Why???

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

oh my god...Why???

I can't think of any reason anyone would KNOWINGLY eat this crap. So, it will find it's way into processed foods like burgers, hot dogs and pre-packaged frozen meals. You will most likely see it being used as fillers in canned chili and stews and such. Since it is meat, they could still claim it is 100% meat, but they would not be able to say natural or non-GMO.

Last edited:
Once they figure out how to do this on a massive scale it will become part of our food supply. Keep in mind that raising, feeding and processing cattle takes a lot of effort, time and money. It is still a labor-intensive process despite being highly mechanized at this point. (Same with poultry and pigs.)

There are good and bad aspects to this new technology. It will be interesting to see what happens although I suspect, as OM1 said, it will initially be used as a filler type of meat. Filet Mignon is still a ways off.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Once they figure out how to do this on a massive scale it will become part of our food supply. Keep in mind that raising, feeding and processing cattle takes a lot of effort, time and money. It is still a labor-intensive process despite being highly mechanized at this point. (Same with poultry and pigs.)

There are good and bad aspects to this new technology. It will be interesting to see what happens although I suspect, as OM1 said, it will initially be used as a filler type of meat. Filet Mignon is still a ways off.

I won't ever willingly eat such a substance as long as there is still a choice. This "meat" might be classified as meat, but it is not real food and it does not come from a natural source. It will not have blood or fat in the meat, which is necessary. It will be food for the soulless masses who really don't care. Oh, and of course our pets will most likely be the first victims. This stuff will become a major pet food ingredient.

I won't ever willingly eat such a substance as long as there is still a choice. This "meat" might be classified as meat, but it is not real food and it does not come from a natural source. It will not have blood or fat in the meat, which is necessary. It will be food for the soulless masses who really don't care. Oh, and of course our pets will most likely be the first victims. This stuff will become a major pet food ingredient.

Good point. I don't doubt that you're right about this at all. They will probably start using it as pet food before they push it on humans.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
This would also wipe out the cows or at least reduce their number. How would this benefit farmers?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This would also wipe out the cows or at least reduce their number. How would this benefit farmers?

You assume people would allow the actual beef to be replaced by this goo. The cows will not be going anywhere. There would still have to be cows for other products.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
You assume people would allow the actual beef to be replaced by this goo. The cows will not be going anywhere. There would still have to be cows for other products.
You would be surprised the lengths people will go for convenience. Pretty sure in about 10-15 years if not less, cash will die out in preference for electronic payment. People who feel guilty for eating an animal that is suppose to be eaten have a very conservative mindset but pretend to be very liberal and vice versa.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I can't think of any reason anyone would KNOWINGLY eat this crap. So, it will find it's way into processed foods like burgers, hot dogs and pre-packaged frozen meals. You will most likely see it being used as fillers in canned chili and stews and such. Since it is meat, they could still claim it is 100% meat, but they would not be able to say natural or non-GMO.
Good point. I don't doubt that you're right about this at all. They will probably start using it as pet food before they push it on humans.
https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/...the-end-of-2018-and-it-will-be-healthier.html
This is happening sooner than you thought. End of 2018 and Gates and Brandson are both a strong advocate of this. BARF!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Soylent Green comes to mind on this one ,,,

;)

Its almost worse! At least they were eating real meat in Soylent Green. This shit is not even real food. It isn't even really meat, it's a "growth mass".

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Hopefully, both of them will be pictured feasting on this stuff for the press. But I suspect we will NEVER see that.
You under estimate entropy plus if the costs come down, the temptation will be too great. You also underestimate the power of the media. Sure people will give the option of ameat burger, but people will avoid it because they don't want to get nasty diseases because the meat isn't cooked right.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You under estimate entropy plus if the costs come down, the temptation will be too great. You also underestimate the power of the media. Sure people will give the option of ameat burger, but people will avoid it because they don't want to get nasty diseases because the meat isn't cooked right.

Really? :) So, given the choice between eating real honest-to-goodness meat from an animal, or lab grown "meat" which is cooked perfectly, what do you think people will eat?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Really? :) So, given the choice between eating real honest-to-goodness meat from an animal, or lab grown "meat" which is cooked perfectly, what do you think people will eat?
People can be easily brainwashed into believing something because of what they have heard or what they have read. Most people don't think for themselves. Those that think for themselves is how they can set them apart from everyone else and become very successful.
People will be given the options which is what people want but there will be a war between the two classes to try and maximize sale volume.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
People can be easily brainwashed into believing something because of what they have heard or what they have read. Most people don't think for themselves. Those that think for themselves is how they can set them apart from everyone else and become very successful.
People will be given the options which is what people want but there will be a war between the two classes to try and maximize sale volume.

This is absolutely true. So, which person are you? And there are really three classes. The class with the money is rarely the class with creativity. That is why principled visionaries like Elon Musk are so special. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well lab grown meat will be taking off and after reading into it, I can now see why it maybe a thing and I personally now don't have a problem with it. Why? This will help reduce green house gases. Also, it will end the slaughtering of animals and feeding these cows is a highly inefficient process.

I refuse to eat this substance, and just about everyone I know feels the same. It isn't meat. It might take off in some places and in some circles, but not in America. I thought Subway was still stinging from selling fake chicken (more than 50% soy)? Yep, they still are. And they are still closing stores. Humans eat MEAT, from cows, deer, fish, pigs, many animals. That is NORMAL. Eating some manmade grown substance which resembles meat is NOT NORMAL. I suppose these early adopters will be the guinea pigs for this substance.

To be clear, this substance, by definition, is NOT meat. It is a substance resembling meat.

meat (mēt)

• n.

The edible flesh of animals, especially that of mammals as opposed to that of fish or poultry.

• n.

The edible part, as of a piece of fruit or a nut.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What's wrong with eating eggs though? Eggs are just as nutritionist if not better than meat? No one is harmed/killed in the process because the chicken or the animal was never born to begin with. Meat is not only expensive, but very expensive to maintain and contributes towards green house gases and spreads diseases everywhere.

Other than the cholesterol content, eggs are an excellent food. A perfect package of protein and nutrients. Where did you get the idea that eating eggs was not good? Eat them! They are very healthy. The other stuff, I crossed out because nobody should have thoughts like that when they choose their meals. I think that people eating exotic or rare foods need to consider if they are eating endangered or rare species. But nobody should be thinking about greenhouse gases when they get hungry. Or climate change. My hunger is physiological, not ethical.

Lab grown meat also removes the negative stigma towards killing animals you would have. Plus it would save landspace and would be readily available for all, including vegetarians who want to try it. I just refuse to try meat because to me meat/fish/beef all smell like SHIT. Like actual shit because of that breaking down of amino acids from bacteria.

Lab "meat" is not real food. What's wrong with killing animals for food? What stigma, and in whose circles? To me, being Vegan or vegetarian carries much more of a stigma than being a normal human omnivore. Humans are human and sentient today because of hunting and killing animals for their meat. A more clever brain was needed to form hunting strategies, for making hunting tools and cutting tools to strip the meat from bones or the scales from fish. Indeed, the vast majority of all tools ever found by primitive Man have been hunting tools. On the other hand, look at the animals which are vegetarian. How many of them rank high in intelligence? Most of them are prey animals. Vegetation is the food for my food. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There has been a large scale study to show that the fat in eggs are fine for consumption so eggs yolks are safe to consume. I also never said that eggs were bad for you but I was mainly suggesting as a better alternative than meat. The trouble is that chicken are treated inhumanely and are kept in cages where they drink out of a bottle feeder and other gross and other cruel things are done to them like kicking. Plus, given that they are in such a small space, it gives rise to spread of diseases such as bird flu because they shit everywhere and chickens are stupid so they step on it and then eat the same place where they shat on. Thus, spreading the disease. They are also pecked on and can get pretty violent given that they can get territorial.

https://sydney.edu.au/news-opinion/...iovascular-risk--despite-conflicting-adv.html

I agree with you here, which is why I only buy cage free, organic eggs. They cost more, but they are worth it to me.

The stigma is that some people don't like seeing animals being slaughtered for consumption. It's like your pet dog, or cat. They are delicacy in certain countries but the animal protection agency would arrest you if you did have a lab serving cat or dog meat.

Those people are strange. Animals have to first be killed and slaughtered before they can be eaten, unless it is preferred that the food be alive before eating, like many dishes in Japan and China and Korea. Although I find the killing and consumption of animals like dogs and cats to be personally disgusting and abhorrent, I do not pretend that these animals are not viable sources of meat for those who must eat them. Killing other living beings for food is the way of Nature. Even vegetarians are doing it, only to plants.