LA Convention Report

SGUBlows

GateFans Noob
Was the room full with 400 people when Ben Browder spoke? If yes, that would mean the room was only around 10% full, when BJS started his talk! That must have been a big blow to his ego!
No, I should clarify. There were 3 separate ballrooms with 3 different cons going on, all by Creation of course. They staggered the big appearances so people with Gold tickets could see them all, eg go from room to room. The Farscape room was huge, twice the size of the Stargate one. And it got canceled when, 6 yrs ago?? The third room was big too, for Joss Whedon shows (Firefly, etc). So yeah, after Browder's talk, I went to the SG room, and it was nearly empty. Then it grew as other things finished up, I guess. The point is people chose other things over the SGU panels.

I asked many fans, and I don't recall anyone saying they like SGU. I saw some SGU shirts, but not many. Didn't see the SGU*S ones, darn it.

Most people who didn't go to the SGU talks weren't protesting, IMO. They just don't like it or watch it, and so found other things they'd rather do. Many people were aware of BW's latest quote though, so they are paying attention.

And yes, BJS said the negativity on the internet is ripping the fans apart and destroying SGU. I think he's got the chicken-and-egg backward.

ETA: Screw ArcticGoddess on GW for putting out silly rumors about protests. That's the bullshit that causes real problems. She went to the organizers to "warn" them? What a douche. I swear, watching fans and their little power plays is half the fun of cons. Mostly it's aimed at getting their moment with the actors, but sometimes they suck in the organizers too. It's hilarious.

I'm predicting once SGU is canceled, Creation will stop devoting an entire con day to SGU. I guess they just do it to stay in good graces with MGM, but I bet it costs them money.

Tropicana

Council Member
:lol:

Well you know what?I noticed one thing. The characters were Sheppard/Jackson Joe Flanigan/Mickael Shank on the first line on the billboard on stage at LA con and they left behind the sgu characters.
The organisators seem to know the SGA/SG1 are more popular than sgu ones.
IMO it's one more evidence sgu is in really bad shape and people know its future is really uncertain.
Here's to hope.

Gosh JF looks amazing, wish I was there.

Yllek

GateFans Noob
ETA: Screw ArcticGoddess on GW for putting out silly rumors about protests. That's the bullshit that causes real problems. She went to the organizers to "warn" them? What a douche.

Thank you! I was just going to say the same thing. Seriously, all that fandom-is-ripped-apart-drivel comes from comments like these. Bunch of hypocrites.

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
I asked many fans, and I don't recall anyone saying they like SGU. I saw some SGU shirts, but not many. Didn't see the SGU*S ones, darn it.
I was in row R towards the back. Did you have gold ticket?
Those pictures are really good! I'll have to steal some of them hehe.
Here are my beautiful pictures..these are the cream of my crop :(
0552.jpg

0652.jpg

Nani

GateFans Noob
I was in row R towards the back. Did you have gold ticket?
Those pictures are really good! I'll have to steal some of them hehe.
Here are my beautiful pictures..these are the cream of my crop :(

Hey, at least you were there! *green with envy* View attachment 1895

:thanks: for sharing.

JaffaKree!

GateFans Member
Thank you! I was just going to say the same thing. Seriously, all that fandom-is-ripped-apart-drivel comes from comments like these. Bunch of hypocrites.

Then again, if they do that enough and nothing ever happens, the SGU fans are the ones who end up looking bad for crying wolf. They seem to be following TPTB's tried and true method of shooting oneself in the foot.

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob
There is an interesting discussion on Gateworld about the LA con:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?71051-L.A.-Baby-10!!!-%28Official-SG-Con-Los-Angeles-2010%29/page26

I think Kathryn is wrong. BJS doesn't care, that the "fandom is being torn apart by the SGU issue". He just doesn't like it, that a lot of SG1/SGA fans aren't watching SGU and he will lose his job soon!

These people are such juvenile idiots, truly. I love how they all freaked out about some non-existent rumors about protests against BJS. Puh-leez! Like any of us is petty enough to waste time giving that A-hole attention, even negative attention. I would love to have seen the looks on the faces of the con organizers when they were informed that a "protest" was in the making. They probably went right out to Krispy Kreme and hired another security guard just to be on the safe side.
:rotflmao:

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob
Brian was nice and everyone was nice to him too. Someone asked if the actors find con-going fans to be weird. He said they love nice fans. Then he had a mini-rant about the Internet and how mean people can be and how destructive it is. Sigh, if only he could see how TBTP make people so angry they lose it!

Using BJS's logic, then the opposite is also true: the Internet is a place for kind people and also is a constructive place. And for someone who finds the Internet such a mean and destructive place, this BJS sure utilizes it a hell of a lot of the time.

BJS is an idiot who is nothing more than a lap dog trying to keep his supper coming. Shame he doesn't realize that the fans are the ones who actually pay his rent.

SGUBlows

GateFans Noob
OMG, the cow at GW is now speculating that there was a protest planned but that keen-eyed warnings to the organizers thwarted it. What a bunch of bullshit -- these people should work for Fox "News".

I can't get my screen grab to attach here, but this is the quote, from here:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthre...!!!-(Official-SG-Con-Los-Angeles-2010)/page27

Thank goodness for that. I was told about the demonstration from a media person who had also warned Gary Berman, apparently. No idea if Gary got it sorted or if the person/persons decided to back down. Sometimes, no news is good news. Sorry for the delay in pictures. I just got to San Diego with my friend. He drove up from his home in San Diego to pick me up. He's a sweetheart. Many of you already know him...Barry Campbell from the APLIS Arctic Camp who arranged for the arctic filming in Continuum. I WILL get my photos up asap. Meanwhile, kayone, your pictures are awesome! Well done!!!

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob

Tropicana

Council Member
Wow, they sure know how to spin lies. Would I be surprised if she wants to be a politician one day.

But yeah "cow" seems like a good firm word to describe her (lol, I'm sorry, I'm laughing so hard at the circumstance at which SGUBlows called her a cow)... an alternative would be "mad-moo-cow".

No one should believe such accusatory comments from ArcticGoddess after the incident with Mozzy openly lying about what happened at previous conventions! 'Media person', what the hell sort of vague comment is that? I wouldn't be surprised if it was Hindman or Smiths mom trying to stir up shit!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

SerenityS

GateFans Member
Do you have any idea who Jenks is? Somebody on that thread implied that it could be a "certain Mum". Any truth to that assumption? I know that Sherry is active in the save SGU stuff.

Jenks is also KEK on Gateworld, for what it's worth. He was an old time poster who evidently was pretty nasty back in the days of SGA. Not sure if he was banned and that's why he changed his name or what?

SerenityS

GateFans Member
Another con report:
http://the-scary-kitty.livejournal.com/76804.html

...Which led into another discussion of the situation with Stargate and the movies and the way that Atlantis's cancellation was handled (in fact, this came up more than once during the Q&A). Joe still doesn't know when or if the Atlantis movie will ever happen; he'd like it to happen, but he is still mystified as to how those in charge of a successful franchise would choose to not continue it, citing "ego and vanity" as getting in the way of getting things done. This got touched on again later when someone else asked about what Joe did to piss off Joe Mallozzi on his blog. Joe looked a little bewildered at that and went into how he (Flanigan) is the laziest man in the world, and hating someone takes too much energy, citing how Canadians seem to get angry in a different way than Americans (they go off and get angry in private, we just blow up in public). He admits there's a part of him that's like Sheppard in that he doesn't do well with authority. Cycled again into how vanity and ego 'destroyed a lot' and talked about how the show had run for so long with the same people that corruption crept in and control became more important than quality. He also says he tried to read Mallozzi's blog and got bored with all the food talk. *snorts*