LA Convention Report

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
Here's my homework completed on time. I bolded everything with significance to SGU.

Dan Shea was onstage and he said, “Who are you guys here to see?” Someone said Joe, then he asked, “Who?” and a few screamed YOU!!! [FONT=&quot]Soon after Joe came onstage wearing glasses and how he’s fascinated by how it changes shades in the sun and how he used to walk in and out of the sun to see them change. [/FONT] He was pretty laid back. Then someone asked about the movies and he said, “Some people say there will be one, but I just don’t see the evidence…you know perhaps in a few months for the first time in 13 years, there may not be a running SG show”. He also mentions when he was talking about MGM and TPTB that when a franchise has been running for so many years, some people’s ego just get inflated. He also says that the new shows he’s working on, that he plans to do some directing. He said the contract for SGA said he would be allowed to do three episodes but the people didn’t keep their word, but for his new show, he trust the people more. Someone else asked, “Why does Joseph Mallozzi hate you?” and he replied because he (JF) doesn’t respect authority. He also mentions inflated ego and how he (JF) just says things like they are. Flanigan also mentions how he has nothing against JM because he’s simply to lazy to hate. He said that he tried to read his blog but he found it sooooo boring and that it was even worse then twitter. “Twitter was just a few lines of boring but his blog is just pages and pages of boring!” He felt twitter was extremely boring and he can care less what people had for breakfast and what their listening to so he tries not to do that. He talked about his twitter account and how someone was willing to pay him 300 dollars per tweet for advertisement but he said no because he didn’t want tot do that to his fans. Overall his time was mainly satire; he also poked a little fun about Hewlett.

After that I played Stargate YES/NO. Everyone sucked for the most part, including me. The round would be done in less than 7 questions. Everyone did fairly well on SG1/SGA questions but when SGU questions came up, many got them wrong. People kept saying, “I don’t watch SGU!

When I was looking at the merchandise a guy saw my shirt and said, We also have a few SGU shirts too if you’re interested. I showed him the extra ‘S’ and he like, “oh, what SG do you like then?”. I replied SG1/SGA he nodded his head reasonably. The lady I sat next too saw my shirt and said, “So you like SGU or..?” I showed her the extra ‘S’ and she’s like, “Ya, totally agree!” Another woman in our area said she watched the first episode and just hated it.

Andee Frizzell was more casual, it wasn’t like you had to walk up to the mic and asked her question, it was more like a group talk instead of a Q&A which was a nice break from the norm.

Michael Shanks was pretty friendly too. He told us a funny story about this raccoon by his house. He also talked about set pranks and his time on smallville. On SGU, he said, he hasn’t watched it anymore since the last time someone asked him. “I’m really helping our franchise!”. He also says, he thinks the graphics are great and he really thinks Carlyle is great, but he also mentions how nobody watches SGU and everyone there agreed. Overall both guys were great, gave very interested information. Approximately ¾ of the seats were filled.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Thank you for your report on your SG vacation.

;)

Interesting what The Flan had to say about the whole thing.

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
Yeah, He said a lot a big stuff today. I was partially surprised that no one said anything negative about my shirt. Everyone that saw it agreed!

Oh! I should also add that Joe also thought that his show was thrown under the bus for SGU.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
It's notable that apparently many folks said they don't watch the show.

How was his tone of voice when he was talking about the directing lies, etc?

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
He was mainly talking about his new work at the time and how he is going to direct a few and how he was going to do some one SGA but that fell through. For me, it seemed that he was blaming someone for being unable to not direct on SGA and that that person he never trusted.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is GREAT!

Here's my homework completed on time. I bolded everything with significance to SGU.

Dan Shea was onstage and he said, “Who are you guys here to see?” Someone said Joe, then he asked, “Who?” and a few screamed YOU!!! [FONT=&quot]Soon after Joe came onstage wearing glasses and how he’s fascinated by how it changes shades in the sun and how he used to walk in and out of the sun to see them change. [/FONT] He was pretty laid back. Then someone asked about the movies and he said, “Some people say there will be one, but I just don’t see the evidence…you know perhaps in a few months for the first time in 13 years, there may not be a running SG show”. He also mentions when he was talking about MGM and TPTB that when a franchise has been running for so many years, some people’s ego just get inflated. He also says that the new shows he’s working on, that he plans to do some directing. He said the contract for SGA said he would be allowed to do three episodes but the people didn’t keep their word, but for his new show, he trust the people more. Someone else asked, “Why does Joseph Mallozzi hate you?” and he replied because he (JF) doesn’t respect authority. He also mentions inflated ego and how he (JF) just says things like they are. Flanigan also mentions how he has nothing against JM because he’s simply to lazy to hate. He said that he tried to read his blog but he found it sooooo boring and that it was even worse then twitter. “Twitter was just a few lines of boring but his blog is just pages and pages of boring!” He felt twitter was extremely boring and he can care less what people had for breakfast and what their listening to so he tries not to do that. He talked about his twitter account and how someone was willing to pay him 300 dollars per tweet for advertisement but he said no because he didn’t want tot do that to his fans. Overall his time was mainly satire; he also poked a little fun about Hewlett.

After that I played Stargate YES/NO. Everyone sucked for the most part, including me. The round would be done in less than 7 questions. Everyone did fairly well on SG1/SGA questions but when SGU questions came up, many got them wrong. People kept saying, “I don’t watch SGU!

When I was looking at the merchandise a guy saw my shirt and said, We also have a few SGU shirts too if you’re interested. I showed him the extra ‘S’ and he like, “oh, what SG do you like then?”. I replied SG1/SGA he nodded his head reasonably. The lady I sat next too saw my shirt and said, “So you like SGU or..?” I showed her the extra ‘S’ and she’s like, “Ya, totally agree!” Another woman in our area said she watched the first episode and just hated it.

Andee Frizzell was more casual, it wasn’t like you had to walk up to the mic and asked her question, it was more like a group talk instead of a Q&A which was a nice break from the norm.

Michael Shanks was pretty friendly too. He told us a funny story about this raccoon by his house. He also talked about set pranks and his time on smallville. On SGU, he said, he hasn’t watched it anymore since the last time someone asked him. “I’m really helping our franchise!”. He also says, he thinks the graphics are great and he really thinks Carlyle is great, but he also mentions how nobody watches SGU and everyone there agreed. Overall both guys were great, gave very interested information. Approximately ¾ of the seats were filled.

So it IS true...there IS a man-feud between Joe Flan and J Mozz. Who can blame him? Im so glad you wore that shirt. I wonder if the Flan knows about this place or reads it? He doesnt strike me as being a big internet guy. He seems very outdoorsy and sports oriented (socially). He would get great laughs if he read some of the things we say here.

Thank you so much for this! I wish I could have been there. :(

SGUBlows

GateFans Noob
Actually at first Joe was surprised to hear JM doesn't like him, or at least he acted surprised. But then he was speculating that maybe it was because he would speak his mind and has a natural tendency to resist authority.

The harshest thing he said in his talk was that the franchise is being destroyed by "ego and vanity" -- he used that term several times. And that after 10 years of the same people in charge there was bound to be corruption, in that it became more about power than quality. Man, he was very blunt about it. He said he wants to convince the new owners of MGM to get rid of all the old guard and re-boot the series. The guy was not diplomatic! He was very well spoken I thought. And funny and cute, besides. :)

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
The harshest thing he said in his talk was that the franchise is being destroyed by "ego and vanity" -- he used that term several times. And that after 10 years of the same people in charge there was bound to be corruption, in that it became more about power than quality. Man, he was very blunt about it. He said he wants to convince the new owners of MGM to get rid of all the old guard and re-boot the series. The guy was not diplomatic! He was very well spoken I thought. And funny and cute, besides. :)
Yeah, those were the words, I totally couldn't remember them. This year was different from last years in tone if you ask me. Last year was more craziness, the topics were more about Stargate. This years, it seemed to be more serious (though still very humorous) and the topics were more about what new work the actors are doing.

johnsheppard

GateFans Noob

Dan Shea was onstage and he said, “Who are you guys here to see?” Someone said Joe, then he asked, “Who?” and a few screamed YOU!!! [FONT=&quot]Soon after Joe came onstage wearing glasses and how he’s fascinated by how it changes shades in the sun and how he used to walk in and out of the sun to see them change. [/FONT]He was pretty laid back. Then someone asked about the movies and he said, “Some people say there will be one, but I just don’t see the evidence…you know perhaps in a few months for the first time in 13 years, there may not be a running SG show”. He also mentions when he was talking about MGM and TPTB that when a franchise has been running for so many years, some people’s ego just get inflated. He also says that the new shows he’s working on, that he plans to do some directing. He said the contract for SGA said he would be allowed to do three episodes but the people didn’t keep their word, but for his new show, he trust the people more. Someone else asked, “Why does Joseph Mallozzi hate you?” and he replied because he (JF) doesn’t respect authority. He also mentions inflated ego and how he (JF) just says things like they are. Flanigan also mentions how he has nothing against JM because he’s simply to lazy to hate. He said that he tried to read his blog but he found it sooooo boring and that it was even worse then twitter. “Twitter was just a few lines of boring but his blog is just pages and pages of boring!” He felt twitter was extremely boring and he can care less what people had for breakfast and what their listening to so he tries not to do that. He talked about his twitter account and how someone was willing to pay him 300 dollars per tweet for advertisement but he said no because he didn’t want tot do that to his fans. Overall his time was mainly satire; he also poked a little fun about Hewlett.

Actually at first Joe was surprised to hear JM doesn't like him, or at least he acted surprised. But then he was speculating that maybe it was because he would speak his mind and has a natural tendency to resist authority.

Thx for sharing your report.:shephelp:
Wow This guy spoke his mind again and this time he didn't mince his words.He named people responsibles of this all waste BW JM ego and vanity.They ruined the SG franchise.
So the Joe's contract mentionned he could direct but TPTB fooled him once again.We can understand his bitterness.
I'd like to see SG in other hands than current ones as I already said.SG needs new producers and writers to born again and I notice he thinks the same.
I notices too he finds JM's blog boring even if JM is free to put what he wants over his blog.In this way it'd seem the 2 men don't appreciate each others even if he said he is too lazy to hate people.
He hate authority.LOL.Like Sheppard.he can be naive and sometimes naive or this time he didn't use a diplomatic way.Be careful Joe these guys can have big teeth.
I'd not want you get trouble coz them.
So Joe dislikes Twitter too.ODD.I thought he feels some pleasure to meet his fans over twitter writting funny tweets.I know he dislikes people tell every common things abiut them and doesn't care of it but he always respects his fans and makes some funny comments and game.

johnsheppard

GateFans Noob

Intereesting. It would be interesting to see JoeF convincing new MGM to get new producers.
Gush I appreciate more and more this man.:shepsalute:

Nani

GateFans Noob
Joe Flanigan always does a great job during his conventions. He's my favorite at convention because of his candid nature.

It would be GREAT if he could reboot the series with some good writers that really know the characters. I doubt it'll happen, but that would be awesome. :D

I hope someone took video footage of this and uploads it on youtube.

Cheers!

It seems that Joe is actively working on SGA reboot, either as a movie or a series. I certainly hope he'll find new PTB to back that up :D

Also, he is obviously paying attention to what is going on with SGU, since he pointed out that in a little while they may be no more SG on tv. I find it delightful that he's so in tune with us fans: SGU sucks & TPTB are destroying Stargate because of their "arrogance & vanity". I have have complete respect for JoeF - the man speaks the truth & he's got the balls to do it. :shepsalute:

Fizz

GateFans Noob
Very interesting. I'll comment later once I've had the chance to read more, but all I can say right now is the gloves are coming off!

Tropicana

Council Member
I am loving this guy. Joe Flannigan is sure the knight in the SG franchise and it's awesome. He has my full support!

:joy:

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Yeah, He said a lot a big stuff today. I was partially surprised that no one said anything negative about my shirt. Everyone that saw it agreed!

Oh! I should also add that Joe also thought that his show was thrown under the bus for SGU.

You watch, that vendor next year will be selling the shirt! That's a big step for us OCgatergal, getting the shirt out in public and "our" own take on the conventions. I hope the story gets around that there were people walking around in SGU•S shirts. Thanks for taking it to the next level.

SGUBlows

GateFans Noob
I sat through Elyse Levesque's panel. She was very nice and charming. Way taller than she looks on the show.

Just for the record, no one asked her anythingremotely rude, no one mentioned ratings or the future of the show except her, when she knocked on wood that there would be a third season.

Attendence-wise, hers was similar to Dan Shea/Sgt Siler. I'd say the room was no more than 30% full. Even the gold seats up front were half full or less, meaning people with valid tickets just didn't show up. Wow.

Yesterday for the Flan the room was about 70% full (pretty early in the day), for Shanks maybe 80-85%...just for comparison.

The whole con is pretty subdued compared to the heights 3-4 years ago where every seat was filled. Ii guess this is how a franchise dies, slowly. :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Good job OC... A+ on your homework!

He was mainly talking about his new work at the time and how he is going to direct a few and how he was going to do some one SGA but that fell through. For me, it seemed that he was blaming someone for being unable to not direct on SGA and that that person he never trusted.

it has really got to burn his ass that Carlyle got to direct in the second season when they backed out of promises to him. those freaking arseholes...sga was on GOOD because of the cast headed by a very able joe flannigan- it sure as hell wasn't the stellar ideas of tptb that kep it going so long. :P :P The Flan is the man for his honesty.

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
Thanks guys. My favorite had to be about JF was when he turned down the offer that he would get paid 300$ per tweet for advertisements.:shepsalute:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
it has really got to burn his ass that Carlyle got to direct in the second season when they backed out of promises to him. those freaking arseholes...sga was on GOOD because of the cast headed by a very able joe flannigan- it sure as hell wasn't the stellar ideas of tptb that kep it going so long. :P :P The Flan is the man for his honesty.

Related to Rac80's comment, but sorta off topic. Is it just me or is nearly every show that is "past it's use by date" continue due to the passion of the actors (usually the lead) becoming involved as executive producers/directors/whatever?
SG-1 did it with RDA, Charmed did it with HMC and AM, NCIS does it with MH and the list goes on and on. Anyone else feel the same way, or am I drawing long bows?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Related to Rac80's comment, but sorta off topic. Is it just me or is nearly every show that is "past it's use by date" continue due to the passion of the actors (usually the lead) becoming involved as executive producers/directors/whatever?
SG-1 did it with RDA, Charmed did it with HMC and AM, NCIS does it with MH and the list goes on and on. Anyone else feel the same way, or am I drawing long bows?
NCIS is by no means "past it's use by date". The show is still fun and isn't stretching for material.

Some actors get "producer" credit when they renegotiate a contract. It's pretty standard, anymore.

Hell, Amanda Tapping has been an executive producer of Sanctuary since its inception.

As for Stargate SG1, check the credits on that show. It was made as part of Richard Dean Anderson's production arm Gekko Film Corp. http://www.imdb.com/company/co0005244/