LA Convention Report

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
NCIS is by no means "past it's use by date". The show is still fun and isn't stretching for material.

Some actors get "producer" credit when they renegotiate a contract. It's pretty standard, anymore.

Hell, Amanda Tapping has been an executive producer of Sanctuary since its inception.

As for Stargate SG1, check the credits on that show. It was made as part of Richard Dean Anderson's production arm Gekko Film Corp. http://www.imdb.com/company/co0005244/

I think we have "passed in the night" so to speak. Perhaps I should say "shows survive and grow" when the actors portraying the characters take a more active or "hands on" aproach. I'm not saying NCIS is tired out, far from it (love NCIS), but MH fought D.P.B to get the show HE felt was "more true" to the "NCIS vision"
Bah, I'm not explaining myself very well, but do you get my drift??

SGUBlows

GateFans Noob
OMG the room was a ghost town when BJS started his talk. Less than 50 people. This was right after Ben Browder spoke to a huge room, probably 400 Farscape fans! In fairness Smith's talk conflicted with pictures with Morena Bacarin and maybe some other stuff. over his talk, the crowd grew to 100 or so, but man, I've never seen a series regular draw such a small crowd at a Stargate con.

Brian was nice and everyone was nice to him too. Someone asked if the actors find con-going fans to be weird. He said they love nice fans. Then he had a mini-rant about the Internet and how mean people can be and how destructive it is. Sigh, if only he could see how TBTP make people so angry they lose it!

tetrion

GateFans Noob
I would have laughed if people started throwing condoms at him, seeing how he just recovered from a nasty case of blue-fish-chloe venereal disease.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LMAO!

OMG the room was a ghost town when BJS started his talk. Less than 50 people. This was right after Ben Browder spoke to a huge room, probably 400 Farscape fans! In fairness Smith's talk conflicted with pictures with Morena Bacarin and maybe some other stuff. over his talk, the crowd grew to 100 or so, but man, I've never seen a series regular draw such a small crowd at a Stargate con.

Brian was nice and everyone was nice to him too. Someone asked if the actors find con-going fans to be weird. He said they love nice fans. Then he had a mini-rant about the Internet and how mean people can be and how destructive it is. Sigh, if only he could see how TBTP make people so angry they lose it!

I wonder if he was looking around the room for SGU°S t-shirts! He might have read here that we would be in attendance. We do know for a FACT that he lurks here (as well as his mother). Im glad the fans were nice to him, even if they didnt come in force. But thats what they have...a very small (and shrinking) fanbase ONLY for this show, and completely separate from the Stargate fanbase. Thats what they wanted, isnt it?

The internet can be a very powerful tool and when there is something good to see or talk about, it can make or break a show. Sanctuary started out as a web-based series, and look at it today!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
To quote an Australian advertising exec:
"The internet is the ultimate truth serum"

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I think we have "passed in the night" so to speak. Perhaps I should say "shows survive and grow" when the actors portraying the characters take a more active or "hands on" aproach. I'm not saying NCIS is tired out, far from it (love NCIS), but MH fought D.P.B to get the show HE felt was "more true" to the "NCIS vision"
Bah, I'm not explaining myself very well, but do you get my drift??
One of the reasons Mark Harmon fought was because the cast and crew came to him after they got very tired of DPB's bullshit and were on the verge of a walkout.

Harmon had enough star power and pull to not only get DPB off everyone's back, but also to get his miserable ass banned from the set. CBS told him he wasn't going to play footsie on the NCIS set again.

Like I said, a very good friend used to work for the prick...the stories I've heard could curl (or straighten, as appropriate) your hair.

Harmon has an excellent reputation in Hollywood.

Also, I love the irony of the main character of the show from which NCIS spun off being called "Harm" and Mark Harmon stars in this one. ;)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author

People can be mean on the internet?

NO! Surely not!

It's the ultimate bullying tool. Sadly.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
One of the reasons Mark Harmon fought was because the cast and crew came to him after they got very tired of DPB's bullshit and were on the verge of a walkout.

Harmon had enough star power and pull to not only get DPB off everyone's back, but also to get his miserable ass banned from the set. CBS told him he wasn't going to play footsie on the NCIS set again.

Like I said, a very good friend used to work for the prick...the stories I've heard could curl (or straighten, as appropriate) your hair.

Harmon has an excellent reputation in Hollywood.

Also, I love the irony of the main character of the show from which NCIS spun off being called "Harm" and Mark Harmon stars in this one. ;)

But am I making sense to you in regards to my initial/follow up comments??

johnsheppard

GateFans Noob
It seems that Joe is actively working on SGA reboot, either as a movie or a series. I certainly hope he'll find new PTB to back that up :D

Also, he is obviously paying attention to what is going on with SGU, since he pointed out that in a little while they may be no more SG on tv. I find it delightful that he's so in tune with us fans: SGU sucks & TPTB are destroying Stargate because of their "arrogance & vanity". I have have complete respect for JoeF - the man speaks the truth & he's got the balls to do it. :shepsalute:
RIGHT. The guy is really true man. I appreciate his attitude. So one more salute
:shepsalute:

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Seems to me Blow Job Stew takes the internet a bit too seriously. :icon_e_confused:

Don't they book rooms according to demand ie their keynote would have a bigger room than any SGU people. That's what is generally done.

Here's some great pics from other conventions I came across for you collectors: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bethll/

Wouldya? http://www.flickr.com/photos/bethll/4822711341/sizes/l/in/set-72157624569648292/ well in know you would Pig.:icon_razz:

And WTF who let that homeless man up on stage? http://www.flickr.com/photos/bethll/sets/72157624569648292/

Nani

GateFans Noob
There is an interesting discussion on Gateworld about the LA con:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?71051-L.A.-Baby-10!!!-%28Official-SG-Con-Los-Angeles-2010%29/page26

I think Kathryn is wrong. BJS doesn't care, that the "fandom is being torn apart by the SGU issue". He just doesn't like it, that a lot of SG1/SGA fans aren't watching SGU and he will lose his job soon!

I guess most SGA/SG-1 fans decided to protest BJS panel by not attending it. :D Judging by his past interviews, he has no love for the pre-SGU Stargate fans, so no, I don't think he gives a flying #### about fractured fandom, just the fact that his job will soon be gone. And if he wants to direct the blame, then he should aim it at the responsible quarters. Also, it was his choice to get involved in online fandom. If he (and his mother) would have ignored it, then they'd have lived in blissful ignorance & everything would have been right with the world. Same goes for JoMo - he can't cry foul & "I'm being so open and these fans are so rude to me", because he puts himself out there. It's his choice. You don't want to hear fans' opinions, then don't open yourself to them! Not everyone's going to worship you. :ori:

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Gee I'd like to register and stir the crap pot over there. :evil:

I sure hope there's video proof so Mallozzi / Gero can't manufacture more stories. And so every one can count the empty seats.

Think of what would happen if those bad SGA fans actually did threaten to pull BJS' pants down! :joy:

And yeah, since they're into filming ep 20 their services will no longer be required very shortly. Like I say: Malibu next Ice Age.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
the numbers show ...even the panels are unpopular!

I guess most SGA/SG-1 fans decided to protest BJS panel by not attending it. :D Judging by his past interviews, he has no love for the pre-SGU Stargate fans, so no, I don't think he gives a flying #### about fractured fandom, just the fact that his job will soon be gone. And if he wants to direct the blame, then he should aim it at the responsible quarters. Also, it was his choice to get involved in online fandom. If he (and his mother) would have ignored it, then they'd have lived in blissful ignorance & everything would have been right with the world. Same goes for JoMo - he can't cry foul & "I'm being so open and these fans are so rude to me", because he puts himself out there. It's his choice. You don't want to hear fans' opinions, then don't open yourself to them! Not everyone's going to worship you. :ori:

I say the same thing about attending the cons...the fans PAY to attend, the actors get PAID to attend...it's a job and if they can't take the heat...stay home! :P It's not fun to be criticized BUT its not a crime to dare to criticize an actor to his face! can't take it...work at mcdonald's. :P call me a bitch but that is the way the ball bounces. :D of course, fans NOT showing up will be interpreted as "being mean" by the squeedrones and BJS I am sure! :rolleyes:

Nani

GateFans Noob
I say the same thing about attending the cons...the fans PAY to attend, the actors get PAID to attend...it's a job and if they can't take the heat...stay home! :P It's not fun to be criticized BUT its not a crime to dare to criticize an actor to his face! can't take it...work at mcdonald's. :P call me a bitch but that is the way the ball bounces. :D of course, fans NOT showing up will be interpreted as "being mean" by the squeedrones and BJS I am sure! :rolleyes:

:ditto: Indeed, same goes for the cons. All he has to do is say "no, thanks".

johnsheppard

GateFans Noob
:lol:

Well you know what?I noticed one thing. The characters were Sheppard/Jackson Joe Flanigan/Mickael Shank on the first line on the billboard on stage at LA con and they left behind the sgu characters.
The organisators seem to know the SGA/SG1 are more popular than sgu ones.
IMO it's one more evidence sgu is in really bad shape and people know its future is really uncertain.

View attachment 1888

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Actors are paid to go to ANY Con, unless it's something contractual, I believe, such as ComicCon (a lot of networks/production houses have realized that ComicCon can bring a lot of buzz about a show, hence shows such as White Collar, Psych and Castle's presence there this year).

Actors get a certain amount of money to attend non contractual stuff. It can be anywhere from 5g on up to silly amounts, depending on the popularity of an actor (or how popular they THINK they are). Their transportation is also paid for, with most requiring First Class accommodations for flight and lodgings, plus a generous stipend for food. Keep in mind that this means they get paid an assload of money for ONE panel appearance.

It's got to be a lot nicer for actors for whom the Con is a local thing, though they still charge to attend.