Killjoys - Cheap but enjoyable

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I haven't seen the last one. I gather the language got out of hand?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Now that you can say those words on TV the shows are using them to the max. :) That's why we can't really expect them to be censored here at GateFans.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I'm exaggerating it a bit but it was noticeable for sure. I haven't noticed that much profanity in other shows on SyFy including Dark Matter which comes on later at night than KJ does. When you see this ep let us know if you find the use of swearing to be juvenile writing like I said or if you think it fits the show.

Again, you guys know I'm not a prude so my complaint here has to do with what I perceive to be a lame attempt to make the writing seem cool and edgy. When it comes to swearing less is more.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm exaggerating it a bit but it was noticeable for sure. I haven't noticed that much profanity in other shows on SyFy including Dark Matter which comes on later at night than KJ does. When you see this ep let us know if you find the use of swearing to be juvenile writing like I said or if you think it fits the show.

Again, you guys know I'm not a prude so my complaint here has to do with what I perceive to be a lame attempt to make the writing seem cool and edgy. When it comes to swearing less is more.

In most shows where I notice it, I am only trying to notice it. :) If some engineer is working on a plasma conduit and they accidentally cut their finger or drop an important tool, the proper response is "Oh, shit!" or simply "Shit!", not "Oh, cockadoodie!" or "Gee willikers!".

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I counted two "asshole"s in last nights episode and I was out! Actually, I was just distracted and didn't catch all of the ep, lol. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm out of town so can't comment just now.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Okay, catching up.

Potty mouth in the episodes is becoming a problem. And it isn't just Killjoys - I've seen it elsewhere too. They need to cut it out.

Aside from that, not bad. I liked the plot with Potter's family and the mind swap between Cline and D'Avin gave us a lot of insight into who Cline is and why he does what he does.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, catching up.

Potty mouth in the episodes is becoming a problem. And it isn't just Killjoys - I've seen it elsewhere too. They need to cut it out.

Aside from that, not bad. I liked the plot with Potter's family and the mind swap between Cline and D'Avin gave us a lot of insight into who Cline is and why he does what he does.

They are not going to cut it out. But they can at least dial it back. Going for the words just because they can is obvious in this show now. I have started watching it again, but it's not as cool as it was at first.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I still have to catch up, was out of town last week.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Okay caught up.

Agree the language is not needed. Also in the last episode did they really have to ship every character? Dutch with the scar back, Aaron Ashmore with Potter and then we had D'Avin with someone I was unfamiliar with - until sleeping with him caused her to jet green fluid out all her orifices?

This episode was just weird...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And they follow up a gross episode with a pretty nice one - and one with maybe one swear word in the entire episode. We learn a good deal more about the Level 6 agents (sixers) and also about Cline.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This week had a bit more gross out stuff but also a deeper plot which examines the origin of the 'sixes' and also shows Johnny (Aaron Ashmore) getting into rather a lot of trouble. The other story had the rest of the team exploring a pretty ghoulish laboratory where it seems the first 'sixes' were created centuries ago. And now we discover the wall around oldtown is the same design as the one in this laboratory.

I like that they stopped the language and also that they are making the story more complex. I'm not as sold on them having Johnny and Dutch operating separately.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And now season two is wrapped up. The final two episodes went pretty dark and were effective. We saw two main characters die (Potter and Kline) and a big baddie was killed by Johnny right at the end. He then left the team because he knew the authorities would be after him and did not want to bring the heat on them.

Overall this was a nice second season, and the show's style did mature some. We'll see if it gets a season three.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And...it does. Both Killjoys and Dark Matter have been renewed for Season three.

In a way, the renewal stories sound like SyFy is ordering both shows together as they are not the producers, and that they rise or fall as a unit.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Looks like June 9th both Dark Matter and Killjoys are back.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Looks like June 9th both Dark Matter and Killjoys are back.

I am looking forward to Dark Matter, but I have to admit I have stopped watching Killjoys. Not because I am actively rejecting it, but because I am just not that motivated to watch it. Perhaps I will jump back in. The Expanse has raised the bar for me so much it's hard to compromise!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
To me Killjoys scratches a different itch than The Expanse. The Expanse is serious, grounded Science Fiction. Killjoys is basically Space Xena (complete with comic book inspired credits with "SPACE BOUNTY HUNTERS!" in big cartoony letters). Dark Matter is sort of a darkish riff on Firefly.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sounds like Dark Matter returns in about 4 weeks with Killjoys following in two weeks. Both these shows demonstrate that you can create an entertaining show on a very low budget so long as you actually have some pride in your work.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sounds like Dark Matter returns in about 4 weeks with Killjoys following in two weeks. Both these shows demonstrate that you can create an entertaining show on a very low budget so long as you actually have some pride in your work.

I watched a couple of episodes of this last night. :) I like it, but it just does not engage me like The Expanse or The 100 or even 12 Monkeys. It is not a bad show. But I can easily put it down and come back to it later. The Expanse can make me hold off going to the bathroom!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Of course. As we discussed upthread, The Expanse, Killjoys and Dark Matter are all different types of shows. Which is good, as they scratch different "itches".

Serious Complex Science Fiction = The Expanse

Darker version of Firefly = Dark Matter

Space Xena (emphasis on action) = Killjoys