Killjoys - Cheap but enjoyable

Not so much soapy as cheesy. It's hard to say what is off-putting. It has too much "something" sprinkled on. Like this clip...it's in a place so familiar that it could easily have been filmed in one of the trendy retro bars a block away from me.

I need more. This is something I might like to watch if I were bedridden, but not if I also have Lexx and Cleopatra 2525.

Watching this clip just proves that the writing is tortured. And it's because they are trying too hard to focus on the over-arching story lines instead of just allowing the characters to shine episodically.

"You're sister/coworker/partner has been blocking you from becoming a Level 5." "OMG, why would she do that? My mangina hurts now, boo hoo!"

Honestly, who can stand such turgid, shit writing? :rolleye0014:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And speaking of the current season's story, Friday's episode turned it on its head. We now know exactly what Aneela is and what Dutch is and it turns out the assumptions were backwards - Dutch is the copy. She was created out of the green by Aneela specifically to give her father (Khylen) a version of her which is not part alien. Also, Aneela was actually a prisoner on the alien ship but now is more in control. They are building up to the finale but have to deal with the discovery that if they kill Aneela Dutch will also die because of the way Aneela created her.

blank stare.gif

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Okay, that was an unusual season finale.

Usually I hate cliffhangers but the combination of the tone of the episode and what they did have happen made it tolerable. Basically we got to discover a large part of why Aneela has been so psychotic - she had gaps in her memories and psyche caused when she created Dutch out of the green. Well, Dutch was able to imprint her full life's memories into a device and use it to inject them into Aneela which restored the gaps in her memories and psyche. She's still a bad guy but sane again, and sane enough to team up with Dutch to go into the green to find and destroy the head of the aliens - they left off before this was completed.

Weird season but entertaining. The show did veer a bit more into fantasy but is still exactly what it claims to be in its comic strip style credits - it is essentially Space Xena.

Last edited:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Given that Killjoys was renewed for two more seasons, the cliffhanger was acceptable. I liked the Aneela plot of this season, and look forward to their destruction of the great green evil during the next season.

Science fiction does not have to be super serious fiction like The Expanse or deadly Maoist cult of personality like Star Trek: TNG; it can be fun adventure time like Xena or Hercules or Killjoys.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I was not surprised by the renewal. The show gets enough viewership to pay its bills and by keeping the budget low they make that easier. Plus it does not pretend to be profound or serious - it is action schlock, it knows it and it revels in it.

I also liked the overarching Hullen storyline that actually goes back to the beginning of the series. Aneela was the apex of that story and now that she is sane again the focus shifts to "the Lady", with the battle actually happening inside the green and a version of Khylen helping Dutch and Aneela.

I do wonder what happens outside the green now that Delle Sayeh has ordered the Hullen to stand down.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
For those who watch it Killjoys is back and about halfway into its new season. And it has been interesting.

They have run with the whole story about "The Lady" and taken it in an unexpected direction. Also the humor on the show is still there and (thankfully) the stupid rock music score has been more or less junked. Not too bad.