Killjoys - Cheap but enjoyable

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
See that's the thing - I don't find it boring.

I went in with no expectations in part because the information on the show was so sketchy. It was basically billed as "Space Bounty Hunters". And really that is exactly what it turned out to be.

The acting turned out better than expected especially as two of the three leads I had never seen before. The pacing started out a bit uneven but as the season progressed they got better at it. Ditto the fight choreography. The main thing I feel they need to fix right now is the music work - ditch the rock music and just use basic instrumentals that are mood appropriate. but overall it was fun.

Dark Matter started out confused and just dark and boring. And it remained that way. I find it impossible to work up any actual interest in the characters or their predicament.

OM? Optimistic? I basically said the same thing you did, but got a bit more detailed. I don't expect them to ditch the rock music but it is an area for improvement.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OM? Optimistic? I basically said the same thing you did, but got a bit more detailed. I don't expect them to ditch the rock music but it is an area for improvement.

I gave you an optimistic for making optimistic suggestions for meaningful improvements to the show's formula. :) But this season is canned already. I suspect it will double down on the skin, the sex, and the brawls and gangsterism rather than change. It is not meant to appeal to adults our age, I think...

I am being optimistic too. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They actually did not go crazy on the skin and sex. Now the brawls and crime - yes. And given the premise I expect that to keep up.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Once one has the replicator and the holodeck, then there is no reason to invent anything or do anything ever again.

Okay, I get it now. But how does that make it "gay"? I might have gotten "lame" better. :) Must be my low IQ :P. Really, you find the holodeck and the replicators unforgivable? I can understand that. I feel that way about the Q and the holographic doctor becoming a sentient separate individual with his magic mobile emitter from the 26th century. Still, it is less completely over the top than Star Wars or Farscape or even SG-Atlantis.

But now, more than 200 years in the PAST relative to TNG, we have transwarp beaming, Kahn Reanimation Blood, Red Matter, and hand held weapons that can bring down a Kingon warbird with a single shot....from the ground.

Last edited:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Okay, I get it now. But how does that make it "gay"? I might have gotten "lame" better. :) Must be my low IQ :P. Really, you find the holodeck and the replicators unforgivable? I can understand that. I feel that way about the Q and the holographic doctor becoming a sentient separate individual with his magic mobile emitter from the 26th century. Still, it is less completely over the top than Star Wars or Farscape or even SG-Atlantis.

But now, more than 200 years in the PAST relative to TNG, we have transwarp beaming, Kahn Reanimation Blood, Red Matter, and hand held weapons that can bring down a Kingon warbird with a single shot....from the ground.

I suppose lame or pathetic would be a better word. Replicators can provide all that one might need. The holodecks can provide the other things that one might want. No need for additional progress.

TOS is only 75 years earlier than TNG. A TOS character (McCoy) was a guest on the TNG pilot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Killjoys was given a second season by Bell Media, which owns "Space: The thing that is all around us" TV station.

SyFy has upped Dark Matter for another 13 episode season.

By the looks of it, Expanse will also be seen on "Space" this winter.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sounds good.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Killjoys was given a second season by Bell Media, which owns "Space: The thing that is all around us" TV station.

SyFy has upped Dark Matter for another 13 episode season.

By the looks of it, Expanse will also be seen on "Space" this winter.

Why is Syfy still playing that PR game with their shows? Killjoys and Dark Matter BOTH got two "seasons" right from the start. Five years ago, a SEASON was 24-26 episodes. Now, 12 episodes is considered a full season in the US. In the UK, the 26-episode seasons became 12, and now they are only 6 episodes.

Having said that, despite the spin, Killjoys was given two "seasons" from the get go, as was Dark Matter. Just sayin!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm not so sure these got auto renews. Both were bought from Canada. Killjoys from Bell Media and Dark Matter from Dark Horse Entertainment. Of the two Dark Matter was higher profile and likely rather more expensive.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Don't know about the two year automatic renewal on Killjoys. Syfy probably had a two year option on Killjoys - as long as CTV/ Bell Media/ or our "Space Station" re-upped. The ratings were interesting on this as they climbed from the Continuum range of 250,000 all the way up to 500,000, but then they dropped back to 375,000.

Maybe they had questions about the longevity of their investment.

Even though 12 Monkeys, Expanse, and Dark Matter are filmed in Toronto, it is SyFy that pays all the upfront money. In today's announcement they forgot to mention Defiance, which makes me think that this show is more on the bubble than we think.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm not so sure these got auto renews. Both were bought from Canada. Killjoys from Bell Media and Dark Matter from Dark Horse Entertainment. Of the two Dark Matter was higher profile and likely rather more expensive.

I am not certain (I could find out). But fiscally speaking on both ends, a single 6-episode season is not logical. I do know that Defiance got two years right from the getgo. I also know that Syfy has lied about "renewals" before, like they did with SGU. If it wasnt for the Syfy Exec Craig Engler saying it two years after the fact, we would not have known for sure. There was a press release announcing SGU's "renewal" for season two.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
No surprise with Killjoys getting renewed. There's the SyFy two-season guarantee for most live-action shows. Besides, KJ's is cheaply produced which works in its favor when it comes to return on investment vs. ratings.

And no surprise on DM getting renewed either. We figured this out long ago.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yeah, Killjoy's is definitely low budget. And to survive on a network like SyFy one almost has to be.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, Killjoy's is definitely low budget. And to survive on a network like SyFy one almost has to be.

I like that aspect of it. :) To do a few CGI scenes of the ships (and they are low polygon models too) flying in space, landing or orbiting around planets is a canned thing that can be composited into any scene. The vast majority of the scenes are in familiar urban settings with a few costume tricks and weird lighting. Cheap = long-lived over at Syfy, just like you implied.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No surprise with Killjoys getting renewed. There's the SyFy two-season guarantee for most live-action shows. Besides, KJ's is cheaply produced which works in its favor when it comes to return on investment vs. ratings.

And no surprise on DM getting renewed either. We figured this out long ago.

The bolded is spot on. Syfy has not only burned their audience, they also burned production companies (for money considerations). They have not canceled any scripted shows without ending them for a couple of years now. WISE MOVE, Syfy. But somewhat late....still I appreciate it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If that is their policy per se it makes Caprica harder to understand, as it got whacked during its first season (specifically shortly after they started showing the second half of season one) and they then just burned off the remaining episodes in a middle of the night marathon.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If that is their policy per se it makes Caprica harder to understand, as it got whacked during its first season (specifically shortly after they started showing the second half of season one) and they then just burned off the remaining episodes in a middle of the night marathon.

Caprica was whacked before SGU was, and during that time they were still cancelling shows without ending them. Syfy seems to ignore the fact that NuBSG was not a ratings winner AT ALL. It barely squeaked along, and it's short 5 year run was nowhere near the ratings of Stargate Atlantis. Why did they think a show like Caprica was going to fly?