Killjoys - Cheap but enjoyable

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The funniest part is Killjoys both gets better ratings than Dark Matter and is a fundamentally better show despite it costing less than Dark Matter and not having the "Stargate" names like Hewlett, Mallozzi et al. Killjoys has a bunch of unknowns and gets more out of them.

ecgordon

Star's Hero
Not too bad, not too good. TomAto, TomAHto.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I have only ever watched the tv adds for Killjoys and it really did not peak my interest but after catching 10 minutes of Darkbladder , I choose Killjoys easily as a new show to watch ...
;) ;) ;)

Last edited:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I have only ever watched the tv adds for Killjoys and it really did not peak my interest but after catching 10 minutes of Darkbladder I choose Killjoys easily as a new show to watch ...
;) ;) ;)

Blackadder as a science fiction television program. I would pay to see that.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Killjoys is fun so long as you understand what you are getting going in. It is not deep SciFi - it is a simple actioner about galactic bounty hunters. There is a backstory they have been rolling out all season (which is an immediate improvement over Defiance - the backstory is actually explained so there is context for the character actions). You can also see the show itself change over the season - it feels sort of like the producers and cast got used to each other as filming proceeded. One example is the fight choreography - in the premiere they tried slo-mo and after that speeded it up a lot and kept it speeded up.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The funniest part is Killjoys both gets better ratings than Dark Matter and is a fundamentally better show despite it costing less than Dark Matter and not having the "Stargate" names like Hewlett, Mallozzi et al. Killjoys has a bunch of unknowns and gets more out of them.

I don't know what the numbers are for KJ's but from the sound of it it has a lock on at least a second season.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Space, my imagination station was crowing last Friday that "KillJoys" dragged in at least 500,000 viewers. So, there just might be a second season.

Black Adder in Space. That I would watch even though we have lost several actors over the years.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Space, my imagination station was crowing last Friday that "KillJoys" dragged in at least 500,000 viewers. So, there just might be a second season.

Black Adder in Space. That I would watch even though we have lost several actors over the years.

That would be a show worth watching! :encouragement:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I would tune in to Black Adder in Space too.

As to the whole Killjoys / Dark Matter thing, Space must be loving getting solid numbers on a show that costs them next to nothing.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I think "Space" payed out all the front money to the "Orphan" people for "Kill Joys", so they must be happy with their viewership.

"Dark Matter" must be an import, just like "Defiance" for Showcase. They are locally filming "The Magicians" around Vancouver for SyFy. Now that would be interesting to find out if that show has a Canadian broadcaster.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Nice installment tonight.

Dutch and company have discovered that the RAC is not exactly what they always thought it was. The Company is making moves that will lead to civil war and for some reason Dutch's "father figure" is making sure she and her team are preserved - but for what? The man from her past is playing a very long game and tonight Dutch discovered she has been moved like a piece on a chessboard.

Good leadup to the finale.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

I know that the story moves faster than any of the other scripted shows on Syfy, and the backstory for the show is much more believable than the others.

That being said, I do like the implied anarcho-capitalism of both Dark Matter and Killjoys. For the left liberal statists in the writing crews, anarcho-capitalism is probably a dystopia. One man's dystopia is this man's utopia.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I know that the story moves faster than any of the other scripted shows on Syfy, and the backstory for the show is much more believable than the others.

That being said, I do like the implied anarcho-capitalism of both Dark Matter and Killjoys. For the left liberal statists in the writing crews, anarcho-capitalism is probably a dystopia. One man's dystopia is this man's utopia.

Sci-fi is filled with stories by "Libertarian" writers who pine for their personal versions of utopia. I didn't quite understand that as a kid so I found certain stories to be just plain odd. The older I got the more I was able to figure out that: "Oh yeah, this particular writer is simply masturbating, in book form, to his own fantastical version of Anarchy, State and Utopia".

At any rate, I'm still not jibing with Killjoys. I know that JL likes it a lot but I'm just not finding it interesting. Not sure why. I keep giving it chances but I guess it just doesn't want to resonate with me. Dare I say it but I actually find Dark Matter to be more intriguing. And we all know what a turd that show is. :rolleye0014:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think I enjoy Killjoys because it has an energy to it, the characters are rootable for and the backstory has been decently explained and is reasonably logical. It makes the show fun, and it was never billed as deep but as fun.

Dark Matter is just turgid. The backstory (what there is of it) does not really hang together and as a result character motivations are so foggy that the characters themselves are all ciphers. Which makes them difficult to root for.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Considering all of the commentary given to this show, I have decided to marathon it this weekend and catch up on it so I can participate. It was between this and The Strain. The gore is still there in a big way! It's okay, but I cannot watch episode after episode of squirmy, wormy, bloody, screamy. :) So, it's Killjoys for now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think I enjoy Killjoys because it has an energy to it, the characters are rootable for and the backstory has been decently explained and is reasonably logical. It makes the show fun, and it was never billed as deep but as fun.

Dark Matter is just turgid. The backstory (what there is of it) does not really hang together and as a result character motivations are so foggy that the characters themselves are all ciphers. Which makes them difficult to root for.

Its a dumb series. I watched two episodes of it and found it incredibly vapid and shallow. It looks sorta good visually, but that is all.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I have watched the first episode of Killjoys, and I like it so far. Im not "hooked", but I will watch the other 9 episodes I have downloaded. Pretty people, good action scenes, decent special effects (and only when needed, which is great). The premise is sorta....different. Not as engaging as Firefly. Im not stoked on the whole "bounty hunter" vibe going on, but hey...it is watchable!

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sci-fi is filled with stories by "Libertarian" writers who pine for their personal versions of utopia. I didn't quite understand that as a kid so I found certain stories to be just plain odd. The older I got the more I was able to figure out that: "Oh yeah, this particular writer is simply masturbating, in book form, to his own fantastical version of Anarchy, State and Utopia".

At any rate, I'm still not jibing with Killjoys. I know that JL likes it a lot but I'm just not finding it interesting. Not sure why. I keep giving it chances but I guess it just doesn't want to resonate with me. Dare I say it but I actually find Dark Matter to be more intriguing. And we all know what a turd that show is. :rolleye0014:

Im feeling that way right now after watching only the first episode. But I will keep watching for now because I am intrigued.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And season one had its finale last night. Not a bad episode. Moved pretty quickly and had some good plot developments. Dutch's old mentor appeared again and not only showed he was ruthless but also had a nice fight scene where he just cleaned the floor with D'Avin despite being probably twice his age. The episode also raised questions for them to answer next season like:

- What is the real purpose of the RAC? It is becoming clear they have business above and beyond bounty hunting.

- How does Dutch's mentor tie into The Nine. It seemed like he ordered a member of The Nine to call in her marker with Dutch to get her out of oldtown prior to the bombardment.

- What exactly is Red 17? D'Avin is now there and we saw they have taken Fancy (another killjoy) too - nice effect piece with him on the slab with the tubes coming out of him.

Overall not a bad season. Production values still on the economy side, acting stayed good, plot isn't bad and direction and pacing improved as the season went on. Not a profound show but pretty much as advertised - fun.