Kicking Butt and taking names

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yeah, but if my butt was on that boat, that would not be good enough for me. He is not as clear minded as he needs to be to do the job. I would not want to entrust my life to him right now.

Interestingly, we really don't know. He's just working deckhand right now. I still think Josh is going to be the one to go get his Master's Certificate and eventually be Captain.

Overall strong season. We're seeing different boats dealing with REALLY adverse situations each in their own ways. It's also been cool seeing Sig deal with not having Edgar as his deck boss, and the Wizard having to perform emergency surgery at sea. And of course the Hillstrands are really cool on the Time Bandit, although I bet they'd like to kick the kid who had the abcess and didn't get it treated forcing them to make for port despite not being fully loaded.

G

Graybrew1

Interestingly, we really don't know. He's just working deckhand right now. I still think Josh is going to be the one to go get his Master's Certificate and eventually be Captain.

Overall strong season. We're seeing different boats dealing with REALLY adverse situations each in their own ways. It's also been cool seeing Sig deal with not having Edgar as his deck boss, and the Wizard having to perform emergency surgery at sea. And of course the Hillstrands are really cool on the Time Bandit, although I bet they'd like to kick the kid who had the abcess and didn't get it treated forcing them to make for port despite not being fully loaded.

See, now I thought that the kid was trying to be brave and ride it out. I don't like the gross "surgeries" they have to do at sea. Almost as bad as when they yanked a tooth out by themselves. Which by the way, why don't they just do that, or have the kid picked up by the coast guard? I will miss Edgar but I was happy to hear him say he will be there for king crab as a deck boss but will only come back for Ophelia season in the wheelhouse. Did you see After the catch? Sig was not too happy about it. It is only fair, but Sig does not want to give up the control to Edgar.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
See, now I thought that the kid was trying to be brave and ride it out. I don't like the gross "surgeries" they have to do at sea. Almost as bad as when they yanked a tooth out by themselves. Which by the way, why don't they just do that, or have the kid picked up by the coast guard? I will miss Edgar but I was happy to hear him say he will be there for king crab as a deck boss but will only come back for Ophelia season in the wheelhouse. Did you see After the catch? Sig was not too happy about it. It is only fair, but Sig does not want to give up the control to Edgar.

I also think he was, but he wound up getting blood poisoning by doing so. As to the surgery, it shows how these guys have to be jacks of all trades. I recall one where the Captain had to put on a wetsuit to go over the side and help unfoul a pot cable that got tangled in the hull.

As to Edgar, I guess I need to rewatch After the Catch - I missed that part.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes.you do...it was quite a good one.

I did and it was. A pity that Derrick and Josh are both still so emotional about it as had they been able to contain the heat I think they could have come to a resolution.

As to Sig, I can't see him yielding the Captains seat during Opilio season - he clearly likes it too much. I could see both he and Edgar being up there (like the Hillstrandts do on the Time Bandit).

G

Graybrew1

I did and it was. A pity that Derrick and Josh are both still so emotional about it as had they been able to contain the heat I think they could have come to a resolution.

As to Sig, I can't see him yielding the Captains seat during Opilio season - he clearly likes it too much. I could see both he and Edgar being up there (like the Hillstrandts do on the Time Bandit).

I think that is kinda of immature of him don't you, The hilstrands in both in the wheelhouse, but they take turns at the wheel.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think that is kinda of immature of him don't you, The hilstrands in both in the wheelhouse, but they take turns at the wheel.

Were I to guess that is what would happen with Sig and Edgar. In Blue and King Edgar is deck boss and in Opilio is he probably in the wheelhouse with Sig (just like the Hillstrands) acting as relief captian also.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well this week we didn't even see the Cornelia Maire (inevitable because with the number of boats they follow they have to switch around). This was more centered on Northwestern and Time Bandit with the Ramblin Rose and Wizard also getting screen time.

It is looking like the Wizard got a steal when Freddy Maugatai came over from the Cornelia Marie. He not only has fit in but is already a leader out on deck. Also there was a fair amount this week of various injuries and damage being patched up as the fleet got past the hurricane and tried to return to fishing (although that big wave that almost took out the wheelhouse of the Northwestern was something).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Interesting episode tonight.

The new Captain of the Cornelia Marie took a chance on a new fishing spot, and so far the crabbing is bad. The interesting part, though, is that he consulted with Josh and Jake and explained his reasoning first (to teach them as he considers training them part of his job). As a result while there was a little grumbling there wasn't a mutiny like happened to Derrick. Plus it was really nice to see a lot of different boats (the wildly swinging pot on the Kodiak was pretty freaky).

G

Graybrew1

Interesting episode tonight.

The new Captain of the Cornelia Marie took a chance on a new fishing spot, and so far the crabbing is bad. The interesting part, though, is that he consulted with Josh and Jake and explained his reasoning first (to teach them as he considers training them part of his job). As a result while there was a little grumbling there wasn't a mutiny like happened to Derrick. Plus it was really nice to see a lot of different boats (the wildly swinging pot on the Kodiak was pretty freaky).

I missed this one, will have to find it and catch up with this ep later.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I missed this one, will have to find it and catch up with this ep later.

Did you catch up yet?

This week saw the Cornelia Marie hit the crab again, and Captain Tony teaching Josh and Jake how to handle discipline with deckhands. It also gave the Wizard, Ramblin Rose and Seaforth airtime. On After the Catch Jake and Josh publicly apologized for the blowup on the previous installment, stating that the can't allow themselves to do that if they are going to run a boat. All in all both were interesting.

G

Graybrew1

Did you catch up yet?

This week saw the Cornelia Marie hit the crab again, and Captain Tony teaching Josh and Jake how to handle discipline with deckhands. It also gave the Wizard, Ramblin Rose and Seaforth airtime. On After the Catch Jake and Josh publicly apologized for the blowup on the previous installment, stating that the can't allow themselves to do that if they are going to run a boat. All in all both were interesting.

Yes, I did catch up. I thought that was good that they apologized for the blowup. When mourning the loss of a loved one, emotions run high so I understood that and thought that was very mature to admit it. The big hurricane coming would be very much number 1 the reason why you could not pay me a million bucks to get on one of those boats.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Apparently the weather was so wild in this last episode that they had to offload crab to a boat in a different locale than usual.

After the Catch was also good, especially showing Josh and Jake lauding Captain Lara - seems like the CM has found a longer term Captain while the kids learn the ropes.

G

Graybrew1

Apparently the weather was so wild in this last episode that they had to offload crab to a boat in a different locale than usual.

After the Catch was also good, especially showing Josh and Jake lauding Captain Lara - seems like the CM has found a longer term Captain while the kids learn the ropes.

Again, it is on my DVR. I will get to it soon, it sounds like it was a good episode.:)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sounds like Opilio season is winding up, and none too soon for the tired crews. Two captains actually were injured this week (One muscle pull and one kidney stones), but it was good to see that boats like the Cornelia Marie were back on the crab. In fact the Time Bandit captain said this was their best Opi crab season in a decade.

The Hillstrand sea monster chase episode afterwards was hilarious as well.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's baaaccckkk...

This season it looks like they chose to follow fewer boats - probably good as they can give each more airtime. Also the Cornelia Marie seems to be temporarily shut down and both the Harris boys are working as deckhands on other boats - Josh on Time Bandit and Jake on Northwestern. It sounds like they are there both to earn money (last season they came to the conclusion they could not afford to keep running the boat as is) and also to learn the ropes from true pros (the Hillstrands and Sig Hansen).

Looks interesting.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
BTW, really strong season so far. They are following fewer boats and this season the weather on the Bering Sea was utterly brutal - in fact they are still out catching the Opilio crabs now because they got driven back to port by ice so often.

G

Graybrew1

I saw most of them. I would like to hear what exactly was wrong with that greenhorn that got lifted off.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Still waiting to hear exactly on that one - seems to have been some type of seizure.

Apparently both Harris boys learned a lot from serving in deckhand roles on the Time Bandit and Northwestern - for the Hillstrands and Sig to help them out this way says a lot about how classy they are.

G

Graybrew1

Yes, but I think they are trained well, once they are broken of their bad habits and should make good deckhands. It is such a shame that they could not take over the ship and more forward in that way. I still want MORE on that guy air lifted off. The made such a big deal about it and then POOF ......squat little bread crumbs of info.