Kicking Butt and taking names

G

Graybrew1

I don't thing Edgar can really leave for good, he's too much of a crabber. He might take a leave of absence and skip one fishing season if he has the money. But I would expect him to come right back.

As to the Cornelia Marie, I do feel for the kids. Neither one is totally handling losing their father well although Jake is having it worse (substance abuse). Making it worse is that Derrick is not finding the crab just yet. I expect one of the kids will ultimately get their Master's certificate and take over as captain.

Obviously that is probably what Phil would have wanted. The younger captains don't seem to have the respect for the sea that the older ones do. Or maybe I am just showing my age. LOL

G

Graybrew1

Deadliest Catch has a marathon on the Discovery channel for anyone interested in catching up on missed shows.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Really good midseason premiere last Tuesday.

The whole fleet got slammed by a Bering Sea hurricane (nasty events). Also the Northwestern is learning how to deal with the retirement of Edgar Hansen, their deck boss and engineer.

The other impressive part was the rebounding of the Cornelia Marie from the disaster of King/Blue Crab season. Basically it started with Josh Harris (one of late captain Phil's sons and a co-owner of the boat) deciding that they had to take their destiny into their own hands. He recruited two good engineers to fill out the crew and brought in a new Captain to replace Derrick Ray (who was just too abrasive for the Marie). He also made his brother drug test and he proved he was clean.

Side note: Right now the only way to find this topic is searching because the discovery Channel Shows area is sorta hidden. Can we get it made more visible again?

G

Graybrew1

I got behind, I was disgusted by Jake's almost drug bust. He should have been arrested. I will have to catch back up, sounds like they are back on track.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I got behind, I was disgusted by Jake's almost drug bust. He should have been arrested. I will have to catch back up, sounds like they are back on track.

It was interesting. Jake's problems and the subsequent resignation of the captain pushed Josh to step up and take control. Sort of like making him grow up.

In any event my favorite boat is the Northwestern.

G

Graybrew1

It was interesting. Jake's problems and the subsequent resignation of the captain pushed Josh to step up and take control. Sort of like making him grow up.

In any event my favorite boat is the Northwestern.

I love that boat too now. I will miss Edgar, I hope the other Jake grows up a little bit too.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I love that boat too now. I will miss Edgar, I hope the other Jake grows up a little bit too.

Well they all get put to the test tonight, as the whole fleet got caught in a Bering Sea hurricane. This should be good stuff.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes, I am watching it from my DVR now.

Good installment. Man the fleet got battered. Also it was nice to see the Cornelia Marie operating better.

The After the Catch show demonstrated pretty clearly there were issues on both sides in that fiasco - Jake and Josh needed to trust Derrick but Derrick stepped into a family run boat and tried to remake it overnight in his image. The new captain fished with Phil Harris before so he understands the ways of the boat, and the added harmony was evident.

G

Graybrew1

Good installment. Man the fleet got battered. Also it was nice to see the Cornelia Marie operating better.

The After the Catch show demonstrated pretty clearly there were issues on both sides in that fiasco - Jake and Josh needed to trust Derrick but Derrick stepped into a family run boat and tried to remake it overnight in his image. The new captain fished with Phil Harris before so he understands the ways of the boat, and the added harmony was evident.

I saw both of them. All caught up now. I thought Josh and Derrick were going to come to blows. Derrick should just apologize about the "your dad did you a disservice by not teaching you more" comment. You don't talk that way about a loved one that passes. I will bite anybody's head off that talks that way about my Dad too. I think if he did Josh would be more understanding and willing to listen to the other valid issues.

How about that poor Eddie Jr.? I had no idea that letting an abcess tooth go for a month could mess you up so bad. :icon_e_surprised:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I saw both of them. All caught up now. I thought Josh and Derrick were going to come to blows. Derrick should just apologize about the "your dad did you a disservice by not teaching you more" comment. You don't talk that way about a loved one that passes. I will bite anybody's head off that talks that way about my Dad too. I think if he did Josh would be more understanding and willing to listen to the other valid issues.

How about that poor Eddie Jr.? I had no idea that letting an abcess tooth go for a month could mess you up so bad. :icon_e_surprised:

Exactly. Derrick (albeit unintentionally) insulted Josh's dad. Without an apology there would never be any progress there. But it looks like captain Tony is making progress on the boat simply because he understands the family ways, and so can get Josh and Jake to listen.

G

Graybrew1

Exactly. Derrick (albeit unintentionally) insulted Josh's dad. Without an apology there would never be any progress there. But it looks like captain Tony is making progress on the boat simply because he understands the family ways, and so can get Josh and Jake to listen.

I think Josh has a good head on his shoulders, the jury is still out on Jake. The total opposite was the other kid (Eddie Jr.) that wanted to make Dad so proud that he made himself sick because of his tooth.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The most recent installment was awesome!

It was a classic men against the sea situation as the whole fleet got blasted by a Bering Sea hurricane, and we got to see up close how the boats dealt with the dangerous seas. Different captins did different things, for example the Seabrook's captain made a judgment call that was a tribute to his maturity by pushing a bunch of unbaited crab pots over the side (with buoys so they can go get them) because the boat would have become dangerously top heavy once the storm caused icing.

Plus, the Seabrook vs. Time Bandit joke war was a hoot :biggrin:

G

Graybrew1

The most recent installment was awesome!

It was a classic men against the sea situation as the whole fleet got blasted by a Bering Sea hurricane, and we got to see up close how the boats dealt with the dangerous seas. Different captins did different things, for example the Seabrook's captain made a judgment call that was a tribute to his maturity by pushing a bunch of unbaited crab pots over the side (with buoys so they can go get them) because the boat would have become dangerously top heavy once the storm caused icing.

Plus, the Seabrook vs. Time Bandit joke war was a hoot :biggrin:

I hope they continue to finally get some crab this week. Poor guys.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I hope they continue to finally get some crab this week. Poor guys.

So do I. It was nice to the the Cornelia Marie finding Opilio Crab after the disaster of Blue Crab. Tony Lara is doing a great job as Captain after Derrick left (I think they key is he did not come in and try to remake the boat but rather respected the traditions while making sure things got done). He even got Jake to do the drug screen Derrick failed to get.

G

Graybrew1

So do I. It was nice to the the Cornelia Marie finding Opilio Crab after the disaster of Blue Crab. Tony Lara is doing a great job as Captain after Derrick left (I think they key is he did not come in and try to remake the boat but rather respected the traditions while making sure things got done). He even got Jake to do the drug screen Derrick failed to get.

If you treat somebody with respect, they will generally respect you. I agree he is a much better match, but I don't find Jake faultless he is an addict and did put Derrick's license and the boat itself in jeopardy in order just to get high. You simply cannot trust an active addict. In my opinion he should not even be allowed on the boat until he has been clean for six months. It is dangerous to the entire crew for him to be there. That is just IMHO.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If you treat somebody with respect, they will generally respect you. I agree he is a much better match, but I don't find Jake faultless he is an addict and did put Derrick's license and the boat itself in jeopardy in order just to get high. You simply cannot trust an active addict. In my opinion he should not even be allowed on the boat until he has been clean for six months. It is dangerous to the entire crew for him to be there. That is just IMHO.

True enough. He did however test clean before Captain Lara let him on board. So he has been clean at least three months (elapsed time beween king and opi seasons).

G

Graybrew1

True enough. He did however test clean before Captain Lara let him on board. So he has been clean at least three months (elapsed time beween king and opi seasons).

Yeah, but if my butt was on that boat, that would not be good enough for me. He is not as clear minded as he needs to be to do the job. I would not want to entrust my life to him right now.