Kicking Butt and taking names

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So far Discovery has to be really happy with Deadliest Catch. The ratings are monstrous (premiere week even beat the networks and this week only the NBA playoffs did better on cable) and feedback is also quite good. And to be honest, it is several cuts better than typical "reality" crap, probably because it really is a documentary first and reality show second.

G

Graybrew1

I have to admit, I watch this show. The real and true danger that these guys face every day is amazing. I actually met a guy that was a Swordfisherman and he said he knew a couple of these guys and this is mostly no bull. So, to me it is amazing to see. I did start watching for Mr. GB but got totally sucked in myself in short time.

G

Graybrew1

I like Time Bandit , but some of the new ones look promising too.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Of the two new boats they are covering this season, the Seabrooke is doing pretty well but the Ramblin Rose is a clusterfarb.

And my favorite boat is also the Northwestern. I like the fact that the Hansen's pride themselves not just on their ability to find the crab but also on their impeccable safety record - no fatalities or serious injuries ever (truly unique in the crab fleet).

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Of the two new boats they are covering this season, the Seabrooke is doing pretty well but the Ramblin Rose is a clusterfarb.

And my favorite boat is also the Northwestern. I like the fact that the Hansen's pride themselves not just on their ability to find the crab but also on their impeccable safety record - no fatalities or serious injuries ever (truly unique in the crab fleet).

norse blood in their veins ya know ;)

G

Graybrew1

I like them too, I just like to watch the Time Bandit brothers bicker like sisters. But Edgar and Sig are a close second.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Three weeks in and they have won their time slot each time - got to make Discovery happy.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Did I hear it right, that they got like 4 million people watching it?

Yep. And they have been winning the key demos even beating the broadcast networks. Makes me really happy.

G

Graybrew1

Yep. And they have been winning the key demos even beating the broadcast networks. Makes me really happy.

Just gotta have pure respect to anyone that can do that job. :shepsalute: You could not give me ten million dollars to even BE on one those ships. On top of being terrified :eek: I would get really :puke:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
So far Discovery has to be really happy with Deadliest Catch. The ratings are monstrous (premiere week even beat the networks and this week only the NBA playoffs did better on cable) and feedback is also quite good. And to be honest, it is several cuts better than typical "reality" crap, probably because it really is a documentary first and reality show second.

I have a friend from BC who worked on the crab fishing back a few years ago . This guy is 6 ft 7 , 240lbs , strong as hell and he quit after he was washed overboard by a rouge wave . He said that did not scare him at all as they just circled back and picked him up . The reason he quit was the incredibly long hrs on deck was just to exhausting . So it goes to show how tough that job really is when this monster of a man get's pooped hunting crabs . These guys are the toughest basturd's in the world in my books !!!

G

Graybrew1

I have a friend from BC who worked on the crab fishing back a few years ago . This guy is 6 ft 7 , 240lbs , strong as hell and he quit after he was washed overboard by a rouge wave . He said that did not scare him at all as they just circled back and picked him up . The reason he quit was the incredibly long hrs on deck was just to exhausting . So it goes to show how tough that job really is when this monster of a man get's pooped hunting crabs . These guys are the toughest basturd's in the world in my books !!!

Agreed, and probably a litte crazy. :biggrin:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have to admit to churckling when the Blue Crab count was shown and the Ramblin Rose was dead last by a huge amount of crab (they had 13,000 lbs as opposed to 120,000 lbs for the Seaforth and Northwestern). That captain is way too young (28) and does not really show command abilities in running the boat (which also is not well kept up - would any other skippers allow rust on their hulls?).

Also, it was cool seeing how the Kodiak crew worked around the crane failing.

Oh, and ratings still high powered.

G

Graybrew1

I have to admit to churckling when the Blue Crab count was shown and the Ramblin Rose was dead last by a huge amount of crab (they had 13,000 lbs as opposed to 120,000 lbs for the Seaforth and Northwestern). That captain is way too young (28) and does not really show command abilities in running the boat (which also is not well kept up - would any other skippers allow rust on their hulls?).

Also, it was cool seeing how the Kodiak crew worked around the crane failing.

Oh, and ratings still high powered.

I still feel bad for them when they don't get any crab. But don't they just take longer and go back and get them somewhere else now that they have quotas. I was really hoping Both Phil's kids were going to be okay. So Sad. And the other Jake too, no gratitude at all.....These kids today! LOL j/k :biggrin:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I still feel bad for them when they don't get any crab. But don't they just take longer and go back and get them somewhere else now that they have quotas. I was really hoping Both Phil's kids were going to be okay. So Sad. And the other Jake too, no gratitude at all.....These kids today! LOL j/k :biggrin:

I would feel worse about them not finding the crab were it not for the reason it happened. The young captain basically decided to follow a tip from a friend for his whole fishing strategy. He did not do his homework on the crab, their migratory patterns and such and paid the price. You can also tell his crew doesn't truly respect him. You could tell that Sig and the other vets took the time and did the gruntwork needed to have better ideas on where to put their pots.

G

Graybrew1

I would feel worse about them not finding the crab were it not for the reason it happened. The young captain basically decided to follow a tip from a friend for his whole fishing strategy. He did not do his homework on the crab, their migratory patterns and such and paid the price. You can also tell his crew doesn't truly respect him. You could tell that Sig and the other vets took the time and did the gruntwork needed to have better ideas on where to put their pots.

Okay , yes I see your point. Hopefully , he will learn from his mistakes. And let us not forget Phil's Crab Farts! The Cornelia Marie just seems so sad without him. I lost my Dad a little over a month ago, and now I can really understand the pain his boys are in. I can't imagine trying to deal with grief like that and still having to go and risk your life in your job everyday. A little distraction for them can mine Death. Onto another boat....So, Do you think Edgar will ever leave for good?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Okay , yes I see your point. Hopefully , he will learn from his mistakes. And let us not forget Phil's Crab Farts! The Cornelia Marie just seems so sad without him. I lost my Dad a little over a month ago, and now I can really understand the pain his boys are in. I can't imagine trying to deal with grief like that and still having to go and risk your life in your job everyday. A little distraction for them can mine Death. Onto another boat....So, Do you think Edgar will ever leave for good?

I don't thing Edgar can really leave for good, he's too much of a crabber. He might take a leave of absence and skip one fishing season if he has the money. But I would expect him to come right back.

As to the Cornelia Marie, I do feel for the kids. Neither one is totally handling losing their father well although Jake is having it worse (substance abuse). Making it worse is that Derrick is not finding the crab just yet. I expect one of the kids will ultimately get their Master's certificate and take over as captain.