Jurassic World

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Watching the original trailer I also noticed they even got the part of iris and pupil how the attention to detail this was. Go to 1:00 in this trailer.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Saw it Thursday night and really enjoyed it. The rest of the audience appeared to have enjoyed it at least as much as I did. It's also much MUCH better than the two earlier sequels.

None of the kids pulled a Wesley. Sorry, OM1.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Saw it Thursday night and really enjoyed it. The rest of the audience appeared to have enjoyed it at least as much as I did. It's also much MUCH better than the two earlier sequels.

None of the kids pulled a Wesley. Sorry, OM1.

Well, at least in the last films there was at least ONE super smart one....guess they are all dumb now. :(

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I might actually break my "No theater" rule and go see this one this weekend.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I saw this.

In a nutshell, it is very entertaining and yes it is still science fiction (with actual science). The dinosaurs look real-istic, but in the previous films they looked REAL. I found the film enjoyable, but also present were too many convenient deus ex machinas with the characters in the park. Conveniently fueled and charged jeeps from the original Jurassic Park site on the island? Yep, uh huh. And the patrons all have to run around in the open because there arent easily entered dinosaur-proof shelters under just about...everything (given the past two disasters)? Why did the teens go off course in the gyrosphere? Even the dumbest teen would not do that in a place full of man-eating dinosaurs. And they were told in no uncertain terms to go back. This might have worked with two scruffy hooligans from the country, but not these two teens. The younger smarter one is insecure and weepy, and the older one wants desperately to be considered a "rebel", but is just a normal kid from the 'burbs. The Ice Queen auntie power-bitch meets badass dude on motorcycle thing turned out to be the movie, basically.

Oh, and be assured this is not the last Jurassic Park. All in all, a good movie. Not great, but worth the money to see it in a theater. Sounds are great.

Last edited:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Personally, I think they put more attention to detail in the very first movie. With and writing, the pacing, setting, the props, the scenes and themes and even the music as well. Just the way it was directed was nicely done. No doubt there were some mistakes but still I just don't see this in this movie. Dear lord that much in the opening weekend, people have too much to waste these days.

Naturally - the first movie was based on an excellent book by Michael Crichton. and with Crichton now dead there is obviously no one intelligent watching over his "legacy" and body of work. Just someone very greedy! :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Naturally - the first movie was based on an excellent book by Michael Crichton. and with Crichton now dead there is obviously no one intelligent watching over his "legacy" and body of work. Just someone very greedy! :P

Like Lit said, the movie is thoroughly enjoyable. And I do also agree it was more enjoyable to watch than say...Jurassic Park 2. But they are pushing the envelope. Now, the genetic work of merely reviving the dinosaurs from incomplete DNA using frogs has morphed into designing new dinosaurs which never existed. UNFORTUNATELY (in my opinion), that flings open the doors on Madeuposaurus, Concoctodon and Creatosaurus. Not liking that at all.

This thing also is starting to drift a bit into Godzilla territory. The dinosaurs seem to have kaiju-like super strength, and are resistant to military grade weapons. Also, evidently their intelligence has risen to the level of chimps now...with them able to plot and plan, and even to form loyalties and feel emotions.

But this Jurassic Park is a "package". It is here to make money and draw in viewers and that is what all movies are made to do even if we as the audience sometimes loses sight of that.

Last edited:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
and the merchandising OM1 - never forget the merchandising !

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Went and saw JW earlier today at the theater with some friends. Of course the story has more holes than a sieve but it was enjoyable nonetheless. I went into it knowing it was just a fun adventure story. With that in mind it was enjoyable.

Still not loving the theater experience though so I'll reserve going there for special movies like this one and maybe the new Star Wars one.

Chris Pratt was great in his role. I'm still marveling at his ability to morph into completely different looking men just by working out:

2+Chris+Pratt.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Went and saw JW earlier today at the theater with some friends. Of course the story has more holes than a sieve but it was enjoyable nonetheless. I went into it knowing it was just a fun adventure story. With that in mind it was enjoyable.

Still not loving the theater experience though so I'll reserve going there for special movies like this one and maybe the new Star Wars one.

Chris Pratt was great in his role. I'm still marveling at his ability to morph into completely different looking men just by working out:

2+Chris+Pratt.png

Wait, that is the same guy? The guy on the left looks like a Seth Rogan at a younger age, and the guy on the right looks like a Navy Seal. Not just the physical appearance, but the attitude. Two different guys it seems. Amazing.

I watched this again just now. What's missing from it is the "sense of wonder". In other words, this is a more adult film. I did not notice why the "mix" seemed different, and that seems to be it. The kids are still at the center of the story, but they are not the center of the drama. And they don't get to have their Wesley moments. Also, there is less science in this than the other ones, but it is definitely there and there is enough of it to pin this movie square in the middle of the scifi genre where it has always been.

All in all, an enjoyable movie. The WOW factor is not nearly as much as the previous films, but it has it's WOW moments.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Wait, that is the same guy? The guy on the left looks like a Seth Rogan at a younger age, and the guy on the right looks like a Navy Seal. Not just the physical appearance, but the attitude. Two different guys it seems. Amazing.

I watched this again just now. What's missing from it is the "sense of wonder". In other words, this is a more adult film. I did not notice why the "mix" seemed different, and that seems to be it. The kids are still at the center of the story, but they are not the center of the drama. And they don't get to have their Wesley moments. Also, there is less science in this than the other ones, but it is definitely there and there is enough of it to pin this movie square in the middle of the scifi genre where it has always been.

All in all, an enjoyable movie. The WOW factor is not nearly as much as the previous films, but it has it's WOW moments.

Yup, that's the same guy. He's been a character actor for awhile now; always playing the goofy or stupid friend in movies. But he worked out for a role (not sure but I think it was Zero Dark Thirty) and the director of Guardians of the Galaxy saw him all buff and gave him the lead role in that film. He stayed in shape for Jurassic World. But oddly enough if you watch the TV show Parks and Rec his character of Andy seems flabby and pale. I'm not sure what the shooting schedule was like for all these things but the guy really tends to morph to fit certain roles. (He claimed he lost weight by giving up beer for six months.)

At any rate, here's another before & after pic set of the guy:

chris pratt.jpg

As for deconstructing the flaws in Jurassic World I hesitate to start criticizing it because chances are I wouldn't stop. There were some real whoppers when it comes to flaws. But, like I said, I went into it expecting to just be entertained and it managed to do that.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yup, that's the same guy. He's been a character actor for awhile now; always playing the goofy or stupid friend in movies. But he worked out for a role (not sure but I think it was Zero Dark Thirty) and the director of Guardians of the Galaxy saw him all buff and gave him the lead role in that film. He stayed in shape for Jurassic World. But oddly enough if you watch the TV show Parks and Rec his character of Andy seems flabby and pale. I'm not sure what the shooting schedule was like for all these things but the guy really tends to morph to fit certain roles. (He claimed he lost weight by giving up beer for six months.)

At any rate, here's another before & after pic set of the guy:

View attachment 31266

As for deconstructing the flaws in Jurassic World I hesitate to start criticizing it because chances are I wouldn't stop. There were some real whoppers when it comes to flaws. But, like I said, I went into it expecting to just be entertained and it managed to do that.

WOW! What a transformation! He has completely resculpted himself. He looks like a total Eli/Nerd/Pudge in the picture on the left, and he looks like a Jock/Badboy/Bro in the picture on the right. What a huge difference! The body on the left, the pudgy one, changes his whole package into a different class.

NOTE: Those tight little "briefs" do not look good on him. He seems to like that look when he is going minimal.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
WOW! What a transformation! He has completely resculpted himself. He looks like a total Eli/Nerd/Pudge in the picture on the left, and he looks like a Jock/Badboy/Bro in the picture on the right. What a huge difference! The body on the left, the pudgy one, changes his whole package into a different class.

NOTE: Those tight little "briefs" do not look good on him. He seems to like that look when he is going minimal.

Sez you! :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

They are not flattering, but he isnt trying to attract the attention of straight guys...is he? :) Do you know his orientation?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Chris Pratt has been up and down in the weight department. He was more buff for Zero Dark Thirty and less buff for Parks and Rec and Delivery Man. When he got in his current (maintained) buff state was to play Star Lord in Guardians of the Galaxy. Guardians was his big "star making" film (along with voicing "The Lego Movie").

Family wise his wife is Anna Faris and they have an almost three year old son.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Chris Pratt has been up and down in the weight department. He was more buff for Zero Dark Thirty and less buff for Parks and Rec and Delivery Man. When he got in his current (maintained) buff state was to play Star Lord in Guardians of the Galaxy. Guardians was his big "star making" film (along with voicing "The Lego Movie").

Family wise his wife is Anna Faris and they have an almost three year old son.

His whole impression is changed with his weight. He looks harmless when he is pudgy. Like he would only get angry if you took more than one of his donuts. The buff version looks like a badass.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
They are not flattering, but he isnt trying to attract the attention of straight guys...is he? :) Do you know his orientation?

He's happily married to Anna Faris. She's an actress that's been in a lot of comedies and parody movies. She's also starring in a sitcom called "Mom".

chris-pratt-anna-22jul14-07.jpg

His appeal, pudgy or buff, is that he comes across as a cool guy. He doesn't seem to have a Hollywood attitude at all.

And as for the briefs he's wearing in the buff pic, all I'll say is that I envy them. ;)