Is it possible to build a really cheap, basic computer?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just found out that I might be back to square one again. That sucks because this one would have been free but that's how it goes sometimes. There's still a chance it might go thru but I have to wait a bit to find out.

WTH? Get yerseff a $200-$250 'puter dude!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This is a little dated but it is a different take on building a computer......

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Shaved...............

Drive through your local area, chances are you will find at least ONE homebrew computer tech with a sign outside their house offering to build computers. Check THEM out, because what you seem to want they wold consider "scrap" and would be happy to shift it for minimal markup.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Shaved...............

Finally! Thanks for sharing that with us. Did you use a blade or a razor?

Drive through your local area, chances are you will find at least ONE homebrew computer tech with a sign outside their house offering to build computers. Check THEM out, because what you seem to want they wold consider "scrap" and would be happy to shift it for minimal markup.

The only businesses operating out of homes with signs outside the house in the US are lawyers, doctors and crack dealers.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Finally! Thanks for sharing that with us. Did you use a blade or a razor?
Hedge trimmer, I'll mail it back soon.

The only businesses operating out of homes with signs outside the house in the US are lawyers, doctors and crack dealers.
You guys really don't have homebrew computer stores?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hedge trimmer, I'll mail it back soon.

You guys really don't have homebrew computer stores?

Yes we do, but they are not stores nor do they post signs. Out my way, buyers of this sort of thing use Craigslist or PennySaver. There are tiny little computer stores but they do repair or operate them only as a point of public contact to do work offsite at homes or offices. Although I have a job, I also have my business as you have seen. It has a presence on Google but I have no signs at my apartment nor do I advertise. Lots of word of mouth which seems like what he is doing. He found a freebie that fell through. Sometimes you get those too. I have given computers away before.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
We have a place where I live that does builds for people too - called Computer Greeks.

http://www.computergreeks.com

It's just a small family storefront business that happens to know personal computers and servers inside out.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's a play on words. The family is Greek and their business is computers.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Scored a deal today on a Dell Inspiron right here in town. It was only $229.00 :encouragement:

3000 series
model 3531
4 GB memory
500 GB hard drive
Intel Celeron

here's the link to get a better view of it:
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i3531-1200BK-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00KMRGF28

For the price I have very few complaints other than confusion over why the hell I am being directed to the MSN site in order to "activate" Windows so I can adjust my settings. What the hell is that about? Someone, please, tell me what the deal is with Windows 8 ?

Thanks

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Scored a deal today on a Dell Inspiron right here in town. It was only $229.00 :encouragement:

3000 series
model 3531
4 GB memory
500 GB hard drive
Intel Celeron

here's the link to get a better view of it:
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i3531-1200BK-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00KMRGF28

For the price I have very few complaints other than confusion over why the hell I am being directed to the MSN site in order to "activate" Windows so I can adjust my settings. What the hell is that about? Someone, please, tell me what the deal is with Windows 8 ?

Thanks

Windows 8 can be very okay if you tweak it right. If you dont, you are going to want to destroy your machine or blow Windows 8 away. You can very easily make it like Windows 7 (only faster). I would be happy to assist you...

That is a great machine for the price, although the Celeron might be a problem if you were wanting to to gaming. It is easy enough though to upgrade the video card to compensate if you should decide to do it. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Windows 8 can be very okay if you tweak it right. If you dont, you are going to want to destroy your machine or blow Windows 8 away. You can very easily make it like Windows 7 (only faster). I would be happy to assist you...

That is a great machine for the price, although the Celeron might be a problem if you were wanting to to gaming. It is easy enough though to upgrade the video card to compensate if you should decide to do it. :)

Yeah the price was laughably low, especially considering I'm only go to use it for word processing and some minor web surfing. It's like a glorified tablet to be honest. I won't be using it for gaming though so no worries there.

As for Windows 8, I'm not really liking it but will give it a few days still. I suspect I'm going to want to dump it and go the Linux route. Or at the very least, switch browsers, but I'm thinking a whole different OS might be the ticket.

Refresh me here, can I just install Linux without deleting Windows 8? Will that affect performance? Also, what is this "Activate Windows" thing that it wants me to do online at the MS site?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Refresh me here, can I just install Linux without deleting Windows 8? Will that affect performance? Also, what is this "Activate Windows" thing that it wants me to do online at the MS site?

If all you're doing with it is word processing and light web surfing, why not destroy Windows and go full Linux?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah the price was laughably low, especially considering I'm only go to use it for word processing and some minor web surfing. It's like a glorified tablet to be honest. I won't be using it for gaming though so no worries there.

As for Windows 8, I'm not really liking it but will give it a few days still. I suspect I'm going to want to dump it and go the Linux route. Or at the very least, switch browsers, but I'm thinking a whole different OS might be the ticket.

YES, but it isnt easy if you have never done it, especially with Windows 8 because it uses a GUID/EFI.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well I might want to do a total wipe in the near future because I'm not loving Windows 8 at all. I'm going to give it a little more time to grow on me and then we'll see.

And just curious but what the hell does MS have to "update" every single day in Windows? Seriously, my computer barely sees 3 websites so I have no idea why it has to lock up my PC to "update" for 10+ minutes at a time. :daniel01:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well I might want to do a total wipe in the near future because I'm not loving Windows 8 at all. I'm going to give it a little more time to grow on me and then we'll see.

And just curious but what the hell does MS have to "update" every single day in Windows? Seriously, my computer barely sees 3 websites so I have no idea why it has to lock up my PC to "update" for 10+ minutes at a time. :daniel01:
:)