Is it possible to build a really cheap, basic computer?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thanks.

I was thinking of getting the Galaxy pro and will try this on my old tab2

Correction on the installation version. I installed Linux Ubuntu 13.04, which the app will download for you when you set it up. It is fully touch enabled and looks very nice. :)

B

Backstep

Correction on the installation version. I installed Linux Ubuntu 13.04, which the app will download for you when you set it up. It is fully touch enabled and looks very nice. :)

How do you root the Tab2? I see that the device need to be rooted before install.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
How do you root the Tab2? I see that the device need to be rooted before install.

Everything you need is here. Watch this on YouTube to get the download links you need in the "show more" area of the video at YouTube. You have to do this using a Windows computer or a Mac, so you need a connection cable. You CAN do this on the device, but it is a huge hassle.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
YES YES YES!

Buy the $250 laptop and download Linux Mint 17 here: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Before you do this, you need to look in the BIOS and make sure it does not have an entry that says Secure Boot. If it does, then you have to turn that off (only Windows 8 uses it). If the laptop is at least three years old, then it probably wont have that.

Put the Mint DVD in the computer and install it, following the easy steps. Once done, start using. That's it. You can set up your email on it locally on the computer or just stick with webmail. Everything else you need is included in the OS from the start.

You can get lots of expert help from members here. I am even willing to remote to it after you install, and assist as necessary (free of charge, of course :)). Mint is beautiful, easy to use, stable and free of Moneysoft crap. I strongly recommend you avoid installing Chrome or Skype on it though.

That's how every drug dealer starts with new customers.

Bluce Ree

Keep in mind all I want it for is a word processing program, that's it. Right now I'm beyond fed up with Word Perfect and MS Word. I'm writing a ton of stuff these days and just need a non-temperamental word processing program that won't slow me down the way the MS stuff has been doing.

Also, I've considered doing a build on a PC from scratch; ordering the parts from NewEgg or Shop4Tech or wherever. This might be fun because I could get whatever size monitor I want instead of being stuck with the 15" that comes on a Notebook PC.

It's all quite fascinating really. :encouragement:

Cheap notebook hooked up to an external monitor when you're home solves that. If you can turn a $250 notebook into something powerful, why not?

Bluce Ree

The main reason to use Linux is to (mostly) eliminate commercial software and to preserve your privacy. Microsoft is the worst offender out there, and therefore the Linux Community makes certain that Microsoft products are supported for those who still have to interact (business) with people using Windows and Mac. Mac users will find Linux very familiar, since everything is in the same place. However the old Gnome desktop that the OS X desktop most closely resembles has been replaced by the Unity launcher which (to me) is more functional, and resides on the left hand side of your desktop.

Mint is laid out (intentionally) to be familiar to Windows users. There is a very small learning curve. You get familiar with it in less than an hour.

I find Unity too cumbersome. Cinnamon is a good desktop, which is kind of a cross between Mac and Windows. You can even activate the menu bar at the top just like Mac.

I'd stay away from Mate desktop. It's tied to GTK2 and can be a little clunky compared to Cinnamon.
--- merged: Jul 26, 2014 at 11:03 PM ---

Unity is nice as a touch interface.

Last edited by a moderator:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Okay, if I buy a PC and wipe the pre-installed MS junk from it, then install Linux, will it run faster than it would if I just left it stock?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, if I buy a PC and wipe the pre-installed MS junk from it, then install Linux, will it run faster than it would if I just left it stock?

YES. A lot faster. And it will stay fast, unlike Windows which begins collecting trash files in the temp and tmp and log folders and error reports and stored internet caches and...:facepalm:. Get Linux Mint and not Ubuntu if you want your transition to be painless. You will like it right away. Also, you have a real community of people for help if you need it (but you wont). Most special stuff you might want to do or issues you might have can be answered right here by Bluce or myself. But once you understand how to get software and you start moving around in it, you will wonder why you didnt do it before.

You need to make some tweaks which I will give you (if you want). It will complete the experience. I use Ubuntu, but I have Mint in a VM that I can use anytime to help you. Go for it!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Must haves with Mint (all free in the Software Center):

Evince (pdf reader)
Shutter (like Snipping Tool)
Evolution Mail (ONLY if you are currently an Outlook user)
Skype (if you are a Skype user). This is actual Skype for Linux.

Keep this updated! I want to share your experience with your first time with Linux. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is a screenshot of my Mint virtual machine. Im posting this from Mint.(click it to enlarge) :). It comes from with some impressive and beautiful wallpapers, and the one in the screenshot is one of them.

Screenshot.png

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thanks.

I was thinking of getting the Galaxy pro and will try this on my old tab2

I can find the image for you of Mint if you want. But for a tablet, Ubuntu with Unity might be a better option. It is set up more for touch. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
YES. A lot faster. And it will stay fast, unlike Windows which begins collecting trash files in the temp and tmp and log folders and error reports and stored internet caches and...:facepalm:. Get Linux Mint and not Ubuntu if you want your transition to be painless. You will like it right away. Also, you have a real community of people for help if you need it (but you wont). Most special stuff you might want to do or issues you might have can be answered right here by Bluce or myself. But once you understand how to get software and you start moving around in it, you will wonder why you didnt do it before.

You need to make some tweaks which I will give you (if you want). It will complete the experience. I use Ubuntu, but I have Mint in a VM that I can use anytime to help you. Go for it!

Cool! :encouragement: I'm checking things out and hope to settle on something this month. JL got me thinking about RAM so I'm going to look at the options for increasing that. Fingers crossed!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
THAT would be an interesting machine to run Linux on as it is an Intel ATOM. However that also means it is a System on a Chip and has advanced UEFI which according to a number of internet postings completely blocks Linux at this time. I think if your plan is Linux here your best bet is likely to get the low end Celeron or Pentium and stick additional RAM in it to get to 8GB.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hey what do you guys think of this one? The price is laughably cheap. Remember, I mainly want it for word processing and some lite web surfing.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L49X8E6...UTF8&colid=S2BEZ6OM7IDX&coliid=I393ZAMFWPNMQM

First of all, that machine is fine just as it is without adding RAM or anything else. Joelist is right about it having UEFI enabled, but I posted information about that in the FREEDOM thread. :) You CAN install Linux even in the UEFI partition. But you have to format the drive, and the Linux installer for Mint anticipates this issue. My Acer touchscreen had UEFI enabled and I disabled it. I can help you if you need it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
THAT would be an interesting machine to run Linux on as it is an Intel ATOM. However that also means it is a System on a Chip and has advanced UEFI which according to a number of internet postings completely blocks Linux at this time. I think if your plan is Linux here your best bet is likely to get the low end Celeron or Pentium and stick additional RAM in it to get to 8GB.

It will run on that Atom. You dont need 8gb of RAM to run Linux exceedingly fast. 4gb is great, and even 2gb is sufficient. Linux is not blocked.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And yes on a netbook with this slow a hard drive plus a low powered phone CPU you don't want the OS involved in any real amount of I/O. We both know the usual formula - add up the memory of the OS plus likely programs plus open files and double it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Overmind, there are threads out there about not being able to get Linux booting on Baytrail. It is the UEFI plus the CPU I think.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2224071

http://www.linuxine.com/story/asus-bay-trail-t100-not-linux-friendly

It sounds like it may need custom install and maybe a kernel revision.

Joelist, I actually JUST DID THIS. I use Linux daily at home and now I am a Linux Administrator at a very large global company. The model is not listed at that Amazon link, but the way to do it is to go into the BIOS and disable Secure Boot, and enable legacy BIOS (CSM). Once done, Linux will install and boot flawlessly. The Baytrail T100TA will load and run Linux, but the T100 is a Transformer, and thus those links do not apply to the notebook pictures at shavedape's link.

We need the model number. :) There is ALWAYS a way around issues like this. I have Ubuntu 13 running on my ARM Acer Iconia A500 tablet which is almost 5 years old now, and even on my Galaxy S4.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And yes on a netbook with this slow a hard drive plus a low powered phone CPU you don't want the OS involved in any real amount of I/O. We both know the usual formula - add up the memory of the OS plus likely programs plus open files and double it.

You probably should not speculate without first hand experience. I think shaved is looking for basic instructions and a painless experience. Upgrading RAM on a notebook is not easy or pleasant, especially if you dont have the tools for it.

This would be a better choice: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron...qid=1407037308&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=notebool

Linux is less demanding on RAM and CPU than Windows or Apple (any flavor). There is no need for more than 4gb of RAM unless you are going to run virtual machines or games. The OP describes the use of this machine.