Is it possible to build a really cheap, basic computer?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Okay folks, here's the challenge, is it possible to design a computer that can do word processing and surf the web -- that's it.

Here's what the build would not need:

Not worried about video capabilities at all. I won't be using it for gaming or watching videos. The web access only needs to be able to handle basic stuff like email, etc. This won't be a gaming PC and it won't be used to download TV shows or movies or anything data heavy. I will use other devices for doing data streaming, etc. Again, this PC would simply be for word processing and "lite" web surfing, that's it.

Also, I'd like to avoid any sort of system bloat such as pre-installed programs that I'll never use. It seems all PC's come bundled with tons of crap these days and getting rid of it is a pain (Symantec, MacAfee, etc). In fact, I don't even know that I want a Windows (MS) operating system to begin with. I just need to have a word processing program (does NOT have to be Office) and the ability to get online to perform the most basic of functions.

Right now I can find a cheap notebook for $250, but have always been curious if it was possible to build something with none of the MS bloat and garbage. I'm not trying to be a cheapskate here but I really only need the most basic of functions performed with this thing. It won't be a main computer so no worries about tons of other programs. And yes, I prefer to use a non-MS Word product; something Linux based maybe. But honestly I've had it with the shitty Word Perfect crap and want a different program to use in its place.

So, is it possible to concoct such a device or would it be cheaper and less hassle to just buy a bloated MS product? Would love to know what you guys think.

Gracias mi amigos ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay folks, here's the challenge, is it possible to design a computer that can do word processing and surf the web -- that's it.

Not worried about video capabilities at all. I won't be using it for gaming or watching videos. The web access only needs to be able to handle basic stuff like email, etc. This won't be a gaming PC and it won't be used to download TV shows or movies or anything data heavy. I will use other devices for doing data streaming, etc. Again, this PC would simply be for word processing and "lite" web surfing, that's it.

Also, I'd like to avoid any sort of system bloat such as pre-installed programs that I'll never use. It seems all PC's come bundled with tons of crap these days and getting rid of it is a pain (Symantec, MacAfee, etc). In fact, I don't even know that I want a Windows (MS) operating system to begin with. I just need to have a word processing program (does NOT have to be Office) and the ability to get online to perform the most basic of functions.

Right now I can find a cheap notebook for $250, but have always been curious if it was possible to build something with none of the MS bloat and garbage. I'm not trying to be a cheapskate here but I really only need the most basic of functions performed with this thing. It won't be a main computer so no worries about tons of other programs. And yes, I prefer to use a non-MS Word product; something Linux based maybe. But honestly I've had it with the shitty Word Perfect crap and want a different program to use in its place.

So, is it possible to concoct such a device or would it be cheaper and less hassle to just buy a bloated MS product? Would love to know what you guys think.

Gracias mi amigos ;)

YES YES YES!

Buy the $250 laptop and download Linux Mint 17 here: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Before you do this, you need to look in the BIOS and make sure it does not have an entry that says Secure Boot. If it does, then you have to turn that off (only Windows 8 uses it). If the laptop is at least three years old, then it probably wont have that.

Put the Mint DVD in the computer and install it, following the easy steps. Once done, start using. That's it. You can set up your email on it locally on the computer or just stick with webmail. Everything else you need is included in the OS from the start.

You can get lots of expert help from members here. I am even willing to remote to it after you install, and assist as necessary (free of charge, of course :)). Mint is beautiful, easy to use, stable and free of Moneysoft crap. I strongly recommend you avoid installing Chrome or Skype on it though.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just for reference, here is Mint again:

Linux Mint has the same core as Linux Ubuntu (Debian Linux). Ubuntu was the most user friendly, most Windows-like Linux distro out there until Mint came along. Mint is a direct replacement for Windows. The biggest distinction it has is the "Start Button" which apes the Windows Start Button up to Windows 7...only better. :) You can add programs to it if you want, but since you will be using it for basic computing, you wont need to do anything at all. Mint will find every driver for all of your hardware, and there is little "bloatware" on it. As a rule, I always uninstall any chat software (it comes with one), and games (they are basic games).

Get it, install it, and if it lacks anywhere you can install what you need using the software center (for free, of course). Libre Office comes installed, which is your word processor and Office replacement programs. It both opens and creates Word-compatible documents, including formatting. If you love the millions of fancy fonts available for Microsoft, then use them :) You can get the Microsoft Font Installer from the software center, then load as many TTF fonts as you want. More here:

http://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linu...ype-fonts-on-linux-mint-12.html#axzz38b8yMbW3

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Thanks for the advice! :encouragement:

Just curious, what happens to the Windows crap when I install Mint? Is that completely wiped? Or does it remain and take up disc space? Does it run in the background? I really like the idea of all that MS junk being completely gone to be honest.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You can wipe it all during install - you should get formatting options for the hard drive.

Note that OS performance may be slow if you go too cheap on the laptop. Linux is a bit more susceptible to slow hard drives and CPUs than other OSes (on the other hand it is not as RAM happy). So you may want a slightly better laptop. For example try not to get a Celeron or Pentium if possible, If AMD at least A6 with hopefully quad core. you'll pay a little more but get it back in lower frustration.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thanks for the advice! :encouragement:

Just curious, what happens to the Windows crap when I install Mint? Is that completely wiped? Or does it remain and take up disc space? Does it run in the background? I really like the idea of all that MS junk being completely gone to be honest.

The installer will ask you if you want to erase the disk to use all of it for Mint. Just say yes, and the installer will take care of the rest. The MS junk will be completely gone, as will it's native filesystem. No Windows viruses or crap will run natively in Linux. HOWEVER, if you really decide you need a few Windows programs, you can install Wine to run them. For the way you described you want to use this machine, you will have everything you need upon first boot. It comes with an impressive set of desktop wallpapers too, and its PRETTY! It looks awesome as well as being fully functional. The search box will allow you to search new free software as well as loval files on your computer. The right click menus and other functions are exactly where you would expect to find them in Windows. You will have no problem at all using Mint.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You can wipe it all during install - you should get formatting options for the hard drive.

Note that OS performance may be slow if you go too cheap on the laptop. Linux is a bit more susceptible to slow hard drives and CPUs than other OSes (on the other hand it is not as RAM happy). So you may want a slightly better laptop. For example try not to get a Celeron or Pentium if possible, If AMD at least A6 with hopefully quad core. you'll pay a little more but get it back in lower frustration.

That is not really true. Linux can run entirely in the RAM without using the hard drive at all, which is how the LiveCD gives you a fully functional Linux session without installing it. Just sayin...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Gracias mi amigos ;)

EASY PEASY TEST DRIVE:

1. Download the Linux Mint iso here: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php, and choose the Mate desktop or the Cinnamon desktop (32 or 64 bit).
  2. Burn the DVD.
  3. Load the DVD and reboot your computer so that it can boot into the DVD.
  4. Run the LiveCD without installing it.
The LiveCD session is a functional Mint OS you can try without installing it first. You can use this DVD on any computer. From the Live session, you will see the option to install it if you like it. You can even choose to dual boot it and the installer will handle that for you as well.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The main reason to use Linux is to (mostly) eliminate commercial software and to preserve your privacy. Microsoft is the worst offender out there, and therefore the Linux Community makes certain that Microsoft products are supported for those who still have to interact (business) with people using Windows and Mac. Mac users will find Linux very familiar, since everything is in the same place. However the old Gnome desktop that the OS X desktop most closely resembles has been replaced by the Unity launcher which (to me) is more functional, and resides on the left hand side of your desktop.

Mint is laid out (intentionally) to be familiar to Windows users. There is a very small learning curve. You get familiar with it in less than an hour.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually OM that does nothing to my point. Linux can sit completely in RAM but when it needs HDD it is less efficient than other OSes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually OM that does nothing to my point. Linux can sit completely in RAM but when it needs HDD it is less efficient than other OSes.

:) Perhaps, but because the performance is so much better than every other operating system out there, the net effect of running Linux will be that everything is much much faster and more efficient. Opening a file or saving a file is either an initial event or a tertiary event. Programs that need to read from or write to a database might have some in-program read/writes, but the processing of the file will be faster. My point is that the negligible hard drive performance overhead will not result in a net slowing of Linux vs Windows or Mac. On a standard 7200 SATA, or even an old 5200 IDE, you are still going to have blazing performance over the same hardware running anything else.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Remember I tested this on my laptop, and Linux (three different distros) was much slower than either OS X or Windows. Windows 8 initially was the fastest but Yosemite has caught up. All three Linuxes I tried were quite a bit less snappy (Ubuntu, Slackware and Open SUSE). I'm thinking they haven't fully caught up with using the newer model SSDs and maybe are not fully optimized to leverage current CPUs. It doesn't make Linux bad it just means there is a scenario where it is not the fastest OS.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Remember I tested this on my laptop, and Linux (three different distros) was much slower than either OS X or Windows. Windows 8 initially was the fastest but Yosemite has caught up. All three Linuxes I tried were quite a bit less snappy (Ubuntu, Slackware and Open SUSE). I'm thinking they haven't fully caught up with using the newer model SSDs and maybe are not fully optimized to leverage current CPUs. It doesn't make Linux bad it just means there is a scenario where it is not the fastest OS.

You tested it how...installing it natively using Boot Camp? Even if it is a tad slower, being outside of the multi-hundred-dollar/closed cyberscape ecosystem of Apple alone is worth using it. But I would still need to see benchmarks for it running on the bare metal MacBook Pro machine. For the thickest part of the user market, and for older hardware, Linux is the only ticket. You cant run Mac OS X on anything but an Apple, and you cant get in for less than $900.00.

For the machine that shavedape has described, and his stated experience level, Linux Mint is his best option. Do you disagree? What are his other options?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes natively on Boot Camp. Running an OS in a VM is going to degrade performance and would not be a true test.

I didn't disagree with him running Mint. The only thing I said is a $250 laptop may be a bit TOO "budget" based on what is in the stores at present. Those machines tend to be Celerons and AMD A4s both of which are pretty slow CPUs and no matter the OS may give him an experience he won't be happy with. Plus they tend to couple them with 5400rpm HDDs and small amounts of RAM (sometimes only 2GB).

To me, if the decision is one of these type of laptops then spring for RAM while you're at it and boost it to 8GB. That should ensure that Mint plus whatever application he has open is running as much as possible up in the RAM.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
On a related note, I was poking a bit of fun at Yosemite in my review thread by noting how long it has taken Apple to finally get the OS correctly optimized for SSDs and quad core CPUs with hyper threading. To me it is funny because really OS X should be the fastest OS around on Apple hardware as they don't have to make the OS "generic" to work on multiple platforms - they can literally code it to the exact hardware spec and even better they are also the fabricator for the motherboards in Apple laptops these days. So when a non-Apple OS outperforms OS X on their own hardware it is a bit comical.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Linux Mint has the same core as Linux Ubuntu (Debian Linux). Ubuntu was the most user friendly, most Windows-like Linux distro out there until Mint came along. Mint is a direct replacement for Windows. The biggest distinction it has is the "Start Button" which apes the Windows Start Button up to Windows 7...only better. :) You can add programs to it if you want, but since you will be using it for basic computing, you wont need to do anything at all. Mint will find every driver for all of your hardware, and there is little "bloatware" on it. As a rule, I always uninstall any chat software (it comes with one), and games (they are basic games).

Get it, install it, and if it lacks anywhere you can install what you need using the software center (for free, of course). Libre Office comes installed, which is your word processor and Office replacement programs. It both opens and creates Word-compatible documents, including formatting. If you love the millions of fancy fonts available for Microsoft, then use them :) You can get the Microsoft Font Installer from the software center, then load as many TTF fonts as you want. More here:

http://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linu...ype-fonts-on-linux-mint-12.html#axzz38b8yMbW3
Libre isn't as good as MS office.

B

Backstep

Can that be installed on an Android pad?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Libre isn't as good as MS office.

Keep in mind all I want it for is a word processing program, that's it. Right now I'm beyond fed up with Word Perfect and MS Word. I'm writing a ton of stuff these days and just need a non-temperamental word processing program that won't slow me down the way the MS stuff has been doing.

Also, I've considered doing a build on a PC from scratch; ordering the parts from NewEgg or Shop4Tech or wherever. This might be fun because I could get whatever size monitor I want instead of being stuck with the 15" that comes on a Notebook PC.

It's all quite fascinating really. :encouragement:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member