Is it just me....

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Does anyone else find this show as awesome as I do?
If you have never watched it before I *stongly* recommend giving it a look see, because I think this is an utterly awesome peice of hard Scifi work. One of the reasons why I am a little late in my hope review is because my wife just bought me the first 2 seasons and I just watched both, mega marathon style and just did not want to stop!!, I'm going to pick up S3 in the next few days and I really cannot wait.:smiley_squee:

If SGU had HALF the depth and technology base of this show, I would be proclaiming it one of the best space based scifi series ever.

:smiley_squee::smiley_squee::smiley_squee::smiley_squee::smiley_squee:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
If you have never watched it before I *stongly* recommend giving it a look see, because I think this is an utterly awesome peice of hard Scifi work. One of the reasons why I am a little late in my hope review is because my wife just bought me the first 2 seasons and I just watched both, mega marathon style and just did not want to stop!!, I'm going to pick up S3 in the next few days and I really cannot wait.:smiley_squee:

If SGU had HALF the depth and technology base of this show, I would be proclaiming it one of the best space based scifi series ever.

I love Eureka, and have ever since it began.

I like the tongue in cheek sense of humor it has...

S

Stonelesscutter

I was going to say "what show are you talking about?", but then I noticed Illiterati mentioning Eureka, so I guess that's the one.
Haven't ever seen it, but if you're so ecstatic about it perhaps I should have a look at it.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I was going to say "what show are you talking about?", but then I noticed Illiterati mentioning Eureka, so I guess that's the one.
Haven't ever seen it, but if you're so ecstatic about it perhaps I should have a look at it.

I thought the folder might give it away chief :)

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Thank you, GF'76, I haven't either yet and I'll be taking your word for it. Just a question: in your opinion, is it more Scifi or Fantasy?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Thank you, GF'76, I haven't either yet and I'll be taking your word for it. Just a question: in your opinion, is it more Scifi or Fantasy?

Scifi, very hard scifi. Yes it is a drama, but every issue is brought up from extentions of modern technological ability or theory. At the core of the first 2 seasons is "an artifact", but even it has a very hard scifi reason for existing. The seasons are only 13 eps long so the writing is very tight and very little happens for "no reason" Watch it Mr A, I think you would enjoy it alot. Also, there are many guest apperances that would interest a stargate fan. (there's even a SGU cast member!)

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Scifi, very hard scifi. Yes it is a drama, but every issue is brought up from extentions of modern technological ability or theory. At the core of the first 2 seasons is "an artifact", but even it has a very hard scifi reason for existing. The seasons are only 13 eps long so the writing is very tight and very little happens for "no reason" Watch it Mr A, I think you would enjoy it alot. Also, there are many guest apperances that would interest a stargate fan. (there's even a SGU cast member!)
I like that! :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I like that! :)

Seriously, they have all kinds of interesting concepts, but they are all very grounded in modern or logical progressions of modern concepts. Even the "wilder" ideas have a very solid basis for existing. For example, in one ep there is a "transporter" like device, yet instead of taking X TO Y, it destroys X and reconstructs it at Y. Every concept is solid, no matter how "outlandish" they may seem.

S

Stonelesscutter

Seriously, they have all kinds of interesting concepts, but they are all very grounded in modern or logical progressions of modern concepts. Even the "wilder" ideas have a very solid basis for existing. For example, in one ep there is a "transporter" like device, yet instead of taking X TO Y, it destroys X and reconstructs it at Y. Every concept is solid, no matter how "outlandish" they may seem.

Isn't that exactly what transporters do in Star Trek? And how about stargates. ;)

S

Stonelesscutter

Hmmmm...
Is it Eli?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Isn't that exactly what transporters do in Star Trek? And how about stargates. ;)

Well, thats a matter of debate my friend, Eureka dosn't even allow for that because it is canon that this is exactly what it does. There are literally reams of discussion on the exact effects of of a ST transporter and SG travel, are you the "same person" you were when you stepped in?, Is it still your "original" body?, so on and so forth.

S

Stonelesscutter

Well, thats a matter of debate my friend, Eureka dosn't even allow for that because it is canon that this is exactly what it does. There are literally reams of discussion on the exact effects of of a ST transporter and SG travel, are you the "same person" you were when you stepped in?, Is it still your "original" body?, so on and so forth.

In that case, I debate that it is.
The words 'dematerialise' and 'rematerialise' kinda make the point for me I think, which are used both in ST and SG.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +

There is an interesting episode dealing with exact that question in "Outer Limits". It involves someone refusing to be destroyed after a copy of herself has materialized on the other side. I won't say more to avoid spoilers.

S

Stonelesscutter

There is an interesting episode dealing with exact that question in "Outer Limits". It involves someone refusing to be destroyed after a copy of herself has materialized on the other side. I won't say more to avoid spoilers.

That sounds mighty interesting. :D