Into the Badlands: looks interesting

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Another strong episode. A bit slower paced which was a good thing after the last two - time is needed to pick up the proverbial pieces. And of course another spectacular fight scene.

Speaking of the fight scenes, the toughness of the training the cast undergoes is remarkable:

5 weeks of 7 days a week 8 hours a day training before they even shot a scene. And that was Season One. I've read where they had to retake fight camp before Season Two and it was even harder because the regimen was first to get everyone back into condition and then teach new moves and such. By the time this show runs its course every cast member should be easy hires for any action movie director as they are being VERY intensively trained and groomed.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oh, and note that there are no stunt doubles in play here. Everyone is doing their own wirework and stunts.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This week had a complex and kind of grueling episode. Very good work, but the intricate political developments meant the action was a bit more confined.

We (like every week) had a spectacular fight between our heroes and the monks. It also directly caused a cliffhanger to be resolved probably next week.

A note to anyone getting into the story - understanding the concept of Qi is going to help some of it make more sense:

A key plotline involves a small group of people who are born genetically predisposed to manifest a dangerous form of Qi. Among these are the monks I mentioned earlier and also MK, who is a main character.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And they did indeed resolve the cliffhanger this week! Here is another BIG difference between this show and The Walking Dead - this one does not drag storylines out. The pace was nice and they even used a "dream" sequence effectively (Sunny was comatose a lot of this episode) to explain why Sonny both feels attached to MK and also why Sonny shows signs of guilt.

It also set up the last three episodes of this season nicely, and the Badlands are starting to descend into chaos.

Oh, and AMC announced this week Into the Badlands will be back for a 16 episode Season Three!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And this week the descent into chaos continues in a fast paced, well executed and at times creepy episode. Our heroes are back in the Badlands and reunited but things there are in pretty bad shape - partly due to the vendetta Quinn and the Widow have pursued against the other Barons - they have killed two and and the remaining two are in hiding.

Still strong acting, and the action choreography in this show is as always far and away the best on TV now - and possibly ever. Remember the video I posted about the long and grueling training the cast undergoes, the lack of stunt doubles and also the perfectionism on display - in their "behind the scenes" on creating the action scenes you see how they do it and it is meticulous:

- First each separate movement is practiced by each actor/actress at a slower speed until they consistently perform it without error.

- Then they do the same with each actor/actress doing the same moves in synchronization with everyone else involved in the scene; again until there are no mistakes.

- Then they gradually get everyone speeded up so the moves are fast and hard. And only when it all is running without error at full speed do they start filming it.

I have to hand it to them on both their knowledge of their craft and their willingness to put in the time and pain (real physical pain here) to get it right.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And if you want to see the payoff for the show of all the hours, days and weeks of tough training of the cast this week's episode had it big time. It also featured a complex plot where the Widow's web of deceit she has woven of late came crashing down around her.

We also got crucial backstory on The Widow that explains her a great deal, and we have seen The Widow take a well designed character arc this season that ties perfectly into the revelation on her background; she has in essence turned into exactly what she has always worked to fight. When I contrast this to poorly done character changes in shows like SGU and NuBSG (where they had character personality changes literally from one episode to the next) it is refreshing.

Next week is the big season ender. Ratings have been excellent as have the critical reviews and Into the Badlands has been renewed for a 16 episode Season Three.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And....very unusual and interesting season ender.

With the number of different subplots the show has running it was unusual to see them basically put most of them in a holding pattern and resolve one - Sunny's family - which has been running since Season One. I agree with the choice as it let them dive deeper into this story and resolve it nicely.

The episode closed (as do they all) with a spectacular martial arts duel between Sunny and Quinn. This time Quinn is stone dead. Sunny has his son but sadly his wife did not survive (Quinn was holding her and his son). The season closed with Bajie (Nick Frost) off on his own from the group and it gave us the first hints that some technology from our time may have survived in this post-apocalyptic world.

All in all this was a quality season. Direction and pacing were superb, good writing and good acting. And of course the best action choreography seen on TV. Nick Frost was an awesome addition to the cast and his character provided the perfect tonic to the taciturn Sunny and the inexperienced MK.

When I watch this, it really makes AMCs two "walking dead" shows look even worse than we think they are. That is because this shows that you CAN make quality entertainment on AMC. It's a pity that this and The Expanse don't run together as in a way they would complement each other despite the more fantasy-ish tendencies of Into the Badlands.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And as they gear up for Season Three they are adding to the cast again, in this case Lorraine Toussaint from Rosewood and Saving Grace.

I hope she realizes what she is getting into in terms of hard, tough physical training (as noted upthread)... :D

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Season Three premiered Sunday.

Like the first two, it has good acting and incredible action sequences (which equal and exceed major motion pictures in the quality of the martial arts work). Basically it picks up just a short time after the events of the prior season and things have gotten worse.

Fair warning - if you decide to watch this show prepare for graphic violence. If you like Martial Arts shows this is easily one of the best ever made if not the best. Good story, well paced and acted and as said upthread the action choreography is not only the best on TV but beats movie action choreography too.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This weeks episode was not one for someone with a weak stomach. It had a point and it made the point (that Pilgrim's group is not just a threat they are seriously twisted) but it was difficult to watch. Aside from that, good writing, acting and pacing was still very much in evidence.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Got to catch up on this show yesterday. It has successfully kept its quality level up.

Yes there is gore and yes the violence level is high but the action choreography is amazing and the story so far is well crafted - this season has definitely had the characters in more "gray" areas as opposed to "black and white" and seems so far to center on the entry of a messianic figure and his entourage to the Badlands.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You may like it, but I do need to caution that it is a wuxia (Martial Arts Heroes) show. Shaved correctly likened it to Bunraku. so be prepared for some gore. It is also heavily serialized, with future episodes building on past ones. The premise is post apocalyptic and there are no guns. So your mileage may vary a touch.

It is good for what it is, but not my cuppa. Enjoy!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
No worries!

I like the fact that it is quality, that the people behind it obviously care about the end product and the pride in their work is evident. And a show like this is HARD work.