Into the Badlands: looks interesting

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Looks sort of like a fusion of wuxia films and post apocalypse.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Normally the Crouching Tiger/Pooping Dragon stuff isn't my thing but this looks interesting. The clips give off a Bunraku vibe so I'll probably give it a shot.

And if you don't know what Bunraku is:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Ah....a place we differ a little Shaved. I like the better Wuxia (martial heroes) films. And Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is one of the best, as it not only has the martial arts heroes but also great acting, a rather artsy directorial style and a good story rooted in ancient Chinese legends that Wang Dulu used as a basis for the set of books the movie is based on.

If you like Bunraku you should like The Heroic Trio which I previously posted about:

http://gatefans.net/gforums/threads...ver-see-a-us-superhero-movie-like-this.27839/

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And.....based on the premiere this is so much better than The Walking Dead it isn't funny.

It was a bit talky, but as a series premiere it has to set everything up so it needed to be in order to give a background on the story world. Even with that the pacing was good and crisp, the plot was pretty logical and explained well enough and the action choreography was simply outstanding.

The fight scenes were simply superb and you could tell that the actors were either martial artists in their own right (Daniel Wu) or underwent extensive training before production because their moves do not display any of the usual "Hollywood chop socky" martial arts usually seen - they are crisp, precise and fast. The fight choreography smacks of Yuan Haiping with a touch of John Woo.

Acting was also good. Daniel Wu is great in the lead as Sonny, the commander of the fighters for "The Baron". The actor playing The Baron (Marton Csokas) also did well.

Worth the watch. Interesting that this was done by the same network that produced The Walking Dead.

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I agree, they did a really good job of setting up the premise of the story. The pacing, directing, acting and choreography were all top notch. (The camera work for the fight scene between Sonny and The Widow's henchmen was stellar!) I hope they manage to keep up the quality of the production as the story progresses.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I've had enough of "blood for blood's sake" TV

the opening scene was enough for me...'click'

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You missed a pretty stylish piece of wuxia.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I've had enough of "blood for blood's sake" TV

the opening scene was enough for me...'click'

I, too, don't care for "blood for blood's sake", but this show isn't mindless about it. What they show fits the genre and the story. And the cinematography is quite good despite some scenes being rather violent. But that's the whole point of the piece; the whole point of the story -- the "civilized" world is rough but just wait until you get into the Badlands, oy!

As it is I'm looking forward to seeing more of "The Widow". The fight scenes with her look really cool, and I usually hate fight scenes if that tells you something.

I honestly have no idea if this show will continue to shine or if it will crap out, but I'll definitely watch the next episode, that's for sure.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Note that in the upcoming fight scene with The Widow (which was seen in previews), her moves are also precise and fast and the fight pacing is very elaborately constructed. Things like this reveal that the fight choreographers involved are not amateurs.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Episode #2 -- good episode. They kept things moving. And RE: the blood, it's all part of the context of the story.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
GREAT opening fight scene with the Widow! Not to mention Tilda - I am starting to think the name of the show should be "Into the Badass". Not only is Sonny a badass but so are the Widow and Tilda. and I agree that the pacing is excellent and even better the plot was advanced. We now have a better understanding of what is driving the Baron and indeed of who the Widow is too. Some intrigue to spice the show up but they have been very good about keeping any shipping anchored in moving the story.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Episode #3 - Also very good.

Quinn acted on what he thought was the Widow's unprovoked attack on Ryder. However, as we know Ryder tried to kill the Widow then lied about it. So, the delicate relationship between the Barons is now in a mess because it looks to everyone like Quinn broke their agreements.

Again spectacular fight sequences, this time between Quinn and the Widow (and yes Quinn is a badass) , MK and the old regent (who in a funny fight scene handles him with complete ease as a demonstration of how much he has to learn) and Sonny and a "prostitute" who is also one of the Widow's "butterflies".

Having this on right after The Walking Dead makes TWD look awful. The pacing, acting and writing of Into the Badlands is far superior to it.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Episode #3 - Also very good.

Quinn acted on what he thought was the Widow's unprovoked attack on Ryder. However, as we know Ryder tried to kill the Widow then lied about it. So, the delicate relationship between the Barons is now in a mess because it looks to everyone like Quinn broke their agreements.

Again spectacular fight sequences, this time between Quinn and the Widow (and yes Quinn is a badass) , MK and the old regent (who in a funny fight scene handles him with complete ease as a demonstration of how much he has to learn) and Sonny and a "prostitute" who is also one of the Widow's "butterflies".

Having this on right after The Walking Dead makes TWD look awful. The pacing, acting and writing of Into the Badlands is far superior to it.

I missed the end of the episode. Is the Widow still alive? How did it end?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
She is indeed. Quinn had a seizure during their fight and she escaped. Interestingly her "butterflies" killed several clippers of Quinn's and she fought to give them time to escape to a hideout she prepared. I'm starting to like The Widow - that she fights rearguard to protect her "servants" speaks well of her.

As to the ending, Quinn has engaged the Doctor who is Sonny's love to try to treat his tumor. MK also approached her to read The Widow's book for him.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And posting about Z Nation reminded me again of this show - made by the same network as The Torpid Dead and on right after it. But superior to it in every respect. Spectacular action choreography, well paced, well acted and an interesting story to boot.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
And posting about Z Nation reminded me again of this show - made by the same network as The Torpid Dead and on right after it. But superior to it in every respect. Spectacular action choreography, well paced, well acted and an interesting story to boot.

Yes but it has to be a whole different production crew from top to bottom. I just don't see the same producers for TWD making ItB. Clearly the producers of ItB actually give a shit about making a quality show.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oh I'm quite sure it is a totally different crew, writers and showrunner.

The showrunners pedigree involves directing actors such as Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh. And they also went and got a top notch choreographer in Stephen Fung, who has an impressive resume in these types of films in the Hong Kong market.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Excellent episode tonight!

We learned more about why the Widow and Tilda are who they are. Also why the Widow is protective of her "butterflies" - I admire her goals but her approach could wind up creating mass devastation.

Also, Quinn got COMPLETELY outmaneuvered by the Widow. His parley blew up in his face and even better we found out that his regent is secretly affiliated with....the Widow! And she has also struck an alliance with Ryder. Meanwhile Jade discovered that the Baroness has "ways" of dealing with rival wives. And Sonny is realizing that Quinn's increasingly crazy actions are going to trigger a war between the Barons.

The plots within plots are a bit complex but the fast pace and the incredible fight choreography (this episode featured a great battle in a cemetary) more than keeps it going. Also the acting is still top notch.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Only two more episodes this season. Personally, I like the pace of the show. It's never too slow nor is it so fast that things get missed. It maintains a good equilibrium.