Into the Badlands: looks interesting

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It has been a pleasant surprise.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ah....a place we differ a little Shaved. I like the better Wuxia (martial heroes) films. And Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is one of the best, as it not only has the martial arts heroes but also great acting, a rather artsy directorial style and a good story rooted in ancient Chinese legends that Wang Dulu used as a basis for the set of books the movie is based on.

If you like Bunraku you should like The Heroic Trio which I previously posted about:

http://gatefans.net/gforums/threads...ver-see-a-us-superhero-movie-like-this.27839/

So, is this show like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon? I have avoided watching it because of the still screenshot of the YouTube video in the OP showing the Samurai or Ninja or whatever he is. What I do like is that he does not have a sword!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oh he has a sword!

This is definitely a wuxia (martial arts heroes) show.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh he has a sword!

This is definitely a wuxia (martial arts heroes) show.

Damn. :( I have seen Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon but I was unaware of what this genre is called (wuxia). I like them occasionally. I just have a huge difficulty respecting swords as a fighting weapon in the 20th or 21st century. It seems downright cliche to see an east Asian male fighting with a sword, and even more cliche when his opponent also only has a sword. A dumb street gang member with a 9mm handgun could take out a dozen sword wielding guys easily. Stylistically, it looks cool though. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Show premise = no guns.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's kind of sad that next week is the season finale, as it has been a fun ride with this show.

Tonight was another strong installment. We learned more not just about Quinn but also the Baroness, Tilda, MK and the Widow. The Widow continues to outmaneuver Quinn but as it turns out she has a vulnerability - Tilda. She goes on a VERY dangerous infiltration to save Tilda which results in a spectacular duel between the Widow and Sonny. As I stated upthread her methods may cause mass devastation but I have to like the Widow; the difference between her now repeatedly risking her life to protect her "butterflies" versus Quinn's callous attitude towards his underlings is marked.

Everything looks set for the finale. At a guess it will end with Sonny, MK, Vail and Tilda on the run together. And then we'll discover Tilda was allowed to run by her mother (The Widow) to protect MK. I REALLY hope this comes back next season, and that they keep the number of season episodes down to say 12. That way there is no filler.

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yes, it was a good episode. The weakest part was when the Widow got away so easily. I felt that was a bit contrived. But the fight scene between her and Sonny before that was excellent.

I also liked all the "palace intrigue" going on with the Baron and his wives. Normally I don't care for that kind of stuff but it was interesting to see the motivations of everyone involved there.

I hope the show comes back for a second season as it's really well done. I also hope that the writers don't shy away from killing off major characters, especially someone like the Baron. (Everyone here knows my pet peeve towards villains who are immortal and never get their comeuppance. That shit just ain't cool. Kill off the bad guy and replace him or her with a new one.)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Season finale -- Oh my, interesting. :daniel_new004:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Indeed. Quinn looks to be gone as does another of the Baron's. Basically the whole structure of the Badlands looks to be unraveling.

Errant of Patha

GateFans Member
This show is great, the season finale left me wanting more. I hope S2 of Badlands will not be the same as S2 of twd(damn you AMC).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Me too. Depending on the results of that fight two Barons are dead. Sonny is a prisoner on his way to be slaved out. MK is a prisoner of an unknown group. It looks like Ryder will assume control as Baron and really he does not have what it takes. And Tilda is contemplating rebelling against the Widow (at least until she made her revelation at the end).

I have a feeling that while the Widow had good intentions her methods (like I thought upthread) have basically plunged the entire Badlands into chaos.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
that trailer is blocked...

It's probably a regional issue. Maybe you have to use a VPN to view it from where you're at. At any rate, it's a good show if you like the martial arts thing (Wuxia as JL puts it). The production values are quite good and the fight scenes are done very, very well. I'm not normally into this type of thing but even I liked it a lot.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And March 10th is the date for the return of this show! Sounds like it is picking up right where it left off.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually I was wrong - it returns tomorrow. I want to see if it keeps up the good acting, good writing and stellar action choreography this season.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Interesting season premiere.

The tone was more brutal and the pace quicker than last season, but there was also humor courtesy of Nick Frost's new character (Nick Frost is a great actor in my opinion). Also, the story was advanced six months from last season's finale.

MK is learning as a "guest" in a monastery akin to Wodan Mountain from Chinese wuxia films. Sonny is a slave in a mine, determined to find Vail and his and Vail's child. Ryder is now a Baron and doing very poorly at it - he gets his head handed to him by the Widow and like his father is just not comprehending the nature of the threat she poses.

The Widow is in prime form, but now seeing she needs to be not just a great fighter but a leader as the dispossessed of the Badlands are flocking to her banner. Her Daughter Tilda is now her regent, and so far in this premiere she has a coldness about her that is a little disturbing - effective but disturbing.

Writing good. Acting good. Fast paced.

I should mention it was pretty bloody, with the gore being in the Hong Kong over the top style. The action choreography was still superb and movie quality, with the moves fast and precise by everyone. Nice show, but an acquired taste as it really is a love letter to fans of martial arts films.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The faster pace with a dollop of humor continued this week. All of the stories started last week were followed up on nicely. We also got some information on how Quinn survived and also what he is up to now - trying to "go back to the old ways" and as part of it he plans to get rid of Ryder and resume his Barony but with the child of Vail and Sonny as his heir.

The best part is the fear that Into the Badlands would start meandering like The Walking Dead did in Season Two appears to not be happening. The pace is kept up and the writing is staying sharp.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Checking in here - the string of quality episodes continues, and this last one concluded with both a shocking development and a truly well choreographed action sequence. Still well acted and never feels like it is dragging - like another show we know :)

Really the people behind The Walking Dead need to examine this show, which is on the same network but has vastly superior acting, writing and directing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Checking in here - the string of quality episodes continues, and this last one concluded with both a shocking development and a truly well choreographed action sequence. Still well acted and never feels like it is dragging - like another show we know :)

Really the people behind The Walking Dead need to examine this show, which is on the same network but has vastly superior acting, writing and directing.

Perhaps I will put my toe in and check out the first episode. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You may like it, but I do need to caution that it is a wuxia (Martial Arts Heroes) show. Shaved correctly likened it to Bunraku. so be prepared for some gore. It is also heavily serialized, with future episodes building on past ones. The premise is post apocalyptic and there are no guns. So your mileage may vary a touch.