INTERSTELLAR-first trailer

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, science needs money. Even the science produced by the old Soviet Union needed money.

You missed the point. Who got paid to invent farming, medicine, mathematics, language, fire, clay, the tools used to cut and shape stone and metal, etc etc etc? The creation of useless (or inferior) "science" is what sucks up money.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Nothing -requires- money, except for society, and that's artificial anyway.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
You missed the point. Who got paid to invent farming, medicine, mathematics, language, fire, clay, the tools used to cut and shape stone and metal, etc etc etc? The creation of useless (or inferior) "science" is what sucks up money.

Inventing agriculture required time, study, and effort. Three things that are in short supply in a hunter-gatherer society, although some argue that people in hunter-gatherer societies had time on their hands.

Likewise, all of the other items required time, study, and effort. Three things that are in short supply in a primitive agricultural community. Even, if the community did not have money, those items did constitute a portion of the community's finite resources.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Inventing agriculture required time, study, and effort. Three things that are in short supply in a hunter-gatherer society, although some argue that people in hunter-gatherer societies had time on their hands.

EXACTLY! I completely agree. We are still a hunter-gatherer society at the core. The science of agriculture, of gathering medicinal plants and studying their effects on ailments, mixing ingredients to make the first compounds and then studying those compounds for their properties (the ingredients can be organic or inorganic or both) is hard science. It has been the primary form of science for humans for hundreds of thousands of years. Observing the stars, recording their movements and correlating them to observable climactic effects on earth all took decades, perhaps hundreds of years to refine.

Likewise, all of the other items required time, study, and effort. Three things that are in short supply in a primitive agricultural community. Even, if the community did not have money, those items did constitute a portion of the community's finite resources.

You are contradicting yourself. Only "primitive" societies have time, true study and true effort to give to their environments. Lets see if you can keep up with me here...:)...the known behavior of the great apes on the primal level can be and is exploited for gain. In "primitive" societies, hunter-gatherers are hunting game and gathering wood, food, water, supplies. So called "modern" society has co-opted these behaviors and exploited them for gain and control. In a "modern" society, hunter-gathering behavior has been intentionally distorted to make the prey "jobs", "gigs", places, groups of people and positions in the societal hierarchy. Money is a control device. The more of it you have, the more of your life you control. At some point, you suddenly become aware of the fact that money itself is intrinsically worthless. It is a construct.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

All documented in the Encyclopedia of Ancient History, of which I own the only copy in existence.

Farming - Joe Farmingham
Medicine - John Doctorberg
Mathematics - Robert MATHews
Language - Bernard Bigmouth
Fire - Michael Burnside
Clay - Unnamed fat caveman
Tools - We've had our fair share of tools posting here, though I doubt they were paid anything

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes you can. It was that way long before there was money. Only unnecessary "desired" technology needs money.

oh f'ing hell!

OM1, have you never been fishing?
:anim_59:

I am guessing in two more exchanges between you and JIM, the convo will descend into "race" issues?
:smiley-money-mouth:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
oh f'ing hell!

OM1, have you never been fishing?
:anim_59:

I am guessing in two more exchanges between you and JIM, the convo will descend into "race" issues?
:smiley-money-mouth:

No, he would have gone there already. He is always very civil in the open forums. :) We are actually having a discussion this time, without race. He has a point I agree with: Science today is big business. I 100% agree. If you write up the required forms in a convincing enough way, with supporting studies (from other grant mills) and say you want to study the muscles of grasshoppers for possible use in artificial limbs and military applications, you can walk away with a B.A.G. of money (aka Big Ass Grant).

(looks over at Bluce, cause he knows where Im going with this...)

https://www.quora.com/What-has-the-large-hadron-collider-CERN-told-us-so-far

Oh look, finally CERN's LHC discovered something useful! They turned their cosmic detectors on themselves and lookie what they saw.

Money_wasted_black_hole.jpg

Bluce Ree

No, he would have gone there already. He is always very civil in the open forums. :) We are actually having a discussion this time, without race. He has a point I agree with: Science today is big business. I 100% agree. If you write up the required forms in a convincing enough way, with supporting studies (from other grant mills) and say you want to study the muscles of grasshoppers for possible use in artificial limbs and military applications, you can walk away with a B.A.G. of money (aka Big Ass Grant).

(looks over at Bluce, cause he knows where Im going with this...)

https://www.quora.com/What-has-the-large-hadron-collider-CERN-told-us-so-far

Oh look, finally CERN's LHC discovered something useful! They turned their cosmic detectors on themselves and lookie what they saw.

View attachment 30688

:icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
But.....would you watch it for free? It's in my On Demand section under Free Movies...

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I get tempted too but then I remember how boring it was...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so this is up on amazon prime

thought id watch it

it was "ok", kind of got a bit tiring seeing just how much the creators were trying to make the story so much like other stories

got the whole" Dad is the "ghost" thing pretty early on also.

some nit picks:
-to get those huge dustbowl-like storms you would need very dry conditions, all that corn would not be that healthy or that high in such dry conditions

-how many more movies will we be seeing with obvious "humans screwed the world" message embedded in it?

so when Cooper and the bot went into the blackhole and gathered the data on the singularity, just how was it his daughter used that data?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Between the poor pacing and the in your face environmental radicalism the movie was for me basically impossible to pay attention to - I tried three times to watch it and got so distracted every time I turned it off.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
so this is up on amazon prime

thought id watch it

it was "ok", kind of got a bit tiring seeing just how much the creators were trying to make the story so much like other stories

got the whole" Dad is the "ghost" thing pretty early on also.

some nit picks:
-to get those huge dustbowl-like storms you would need very dry conditions, all that corn would not be that healthy or that high in such dry conditions

-how many more movies will we be seeing with obvious "humans screwed the world" message embedded in it?

so when Cooper and the bot went into the blackhole and gathered the data on the singularity, just how was it his daughter used that data?

Between the poor pacing and the in your face environmental radicalism the movie was for me basically impossible to pay attention to - I tried three times to watch it and got so distracted every time I turned it off.

I did not like this movie at all. I watched the entire long boring movie, and what I got was that it was a very derivative "almost-2001 but too dumb" movie. I could not watch it again. And that ending, it could not have been more lame. How did this movie do at the box office?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I found the tension in the movie to be forced. It was like every single frame was filled with a tight, taut 'OMG-This-is-a-Really-Serious-Moment!!!' feeling. Plus I found the whole farmer-in-space trope to be dumb as shit.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So I guess this means no one watched it all the way through or paid enough atn to answer my question of what/if the singularity data was used for by Cooper's daughter? :)

Bluce Ree

So I guess this means no one watched it all the way through or paid enough atn to answer my question of what/if the singularity data was used for by Cooper's daughter? :)

How would the data escape the singularity? Nothing comes out of a black hole.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
How would the data escape the singularity? Nothing comes out of a black hole.

ask the TPTB's!!!!

in the film, cooper and the one robot, went into the black hole-or "skirted it" (read the amazon extras/trivia on the film--one of the scientific criticisms of the film was this scene,nothing can get that close to a black hole without getting sucked in)--either way, this defies known physics.

apparently a part of the film's plot was to do just that in the 'fiction' of it; Cooper and the Bot went close enough (but then they both entered the Tessaract so...) to it-Cooper had his "ghost dad" experience and the Bot got the data

they both then came out where they entered the wormhole-near saturn

i think part of what TPTB's was trying to say (of course so much gets cut or never transferred from the book) was that the black hole was not a "natural" occurring one, but rather it and the wormhole near saturn were constructs of future humans to enable their ancestors to preserve the human race

they kind of mentioned it in cooper's ramblings, but then as he was exiting the tessaract, we see him with an outside view of the Endurance just as it was going through the wormhole. the "light/ alien handshake" that Brand reported was actually Cooper reaching in..err something

so instead of the "them" that was used as aliens it was actually future humans instead--Cooper with the "handshake" and the actual future humans with the wormhole man made blackhole and tesseract

like everyone said-a poorly put together movie.

give a few yrs and maybe someone can make it as the book's author intended it? i read the book is far better (of course it is i am sure)