INTERSTELLAR-first trailer

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Have you seen it or not? If not, you got nothing to say yet. :)

It isnt a bomb at the box office. I got no problem saying that since I was wrong. But you are already defending it and you havent seen it. What is that? :)

Interstellar, which is still IMAX’s best friend (it has earned $91m globally in IMAX, already the company’s fourth biggest release),earned $15.8m on its fourth weekend (36% of that in IMAX, a new company record), bringing its domestic cume to $147m. The film has earned an eye-popping $395.2m overseas, including $49m in IMAX alone and $106m just in China. The Chris Nolan epic has earned $542.29m worldwide thus far.

Not a bomb. But definitely a turd. You dont get to play your game until you have seen it and can find the opposing viewpoint. :anim_59: I have seen it. It sucks.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Seriously...............
YOU are gonna play the "don't comment if you haven't seen it" card????

pile_of_shit.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Seriously...............
YOU are gonna play the "don't comment if you haven't seen it" card????

View attachment 30597

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Uh, YEAH! You have not seen the movie. What do you have to discuss about it other than the money it is making or not making? Perhaps a compilation of the reviews or comments you have gathered around the web? :) The thread is about the movie...you haven't seen it. How is that out of line? Im not asking you not to comment.

Are you planning to see this? You might get a different take on it than I did.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Uh, YEAH! You have not seen the movie. What do you have to discuss about it other than the money it is making or not making? Perhaps a compilation of the reviews or comments you have gathered around the web? :) The thread is about the movie...you haven't seen it. How is that out of line? Im not asking you not to comment.

Are you planning to see this? You might get a different take on it than I did.

Uh, bro, he's calling you out on the irony of your statement, "Have you seen it or not? If not, you got nothing to say yet.". :icon_lol:

Besides, you're kind of arguing with yourself here. GF didn't say a thing about the movie itself other than point out it's technically not a "bomb" per box office revenues. He didn't speak to the movie's quality or to whether he liked (or will like) it or not, just pointed out it didn't bomb on a financial level. :D

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Couple things: I haven't seen Interstellar yet and from the feedback I've heard about it I'm not in any hurry to see it. I'll catch it on HBO when they run a free weekend promo.

As for the issue of a bad movie being a "success" simply due to the money it brings in, well, we all know that doesn't mean shit in terms of quality storytelling. Avatar is a good example of this. When you peel away the cartoon veneer you find a trite, hackneyed story with cardboard character bad guys that belong only in a cartoon -- which is exactly where we find them. The fact that this "movie" made bazillions of dollars doesn't mean that it's some great work of art. It just means that many ticket buyers are simpletons that are easily entranced by pretty things, like computer generated animation for instance.

At any rate, the mouth-breathing masses make many things a financial success but that doesn't equate to quality. Take the McRib from McDonalds for instance. A more vile piece of pseudo-meat on a plastic bun has never existed yet there is a successful financial demand for more and more of this unhealthy, low-quality shit. A great many people are un-discerning morons with unrefined palettes, both oral and intellectual. They will gladly open their wallets to be spoon fed well-advertised corporate shit.

So while Interstellar may be a financial success that doesn't mean it's not a bomb in terms of storytelling. Again, I have yet to see it so I won't make up my mind until then, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be wary in the meantime. ;)

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
You're as bad as I am. :icon_lol:

Hey, it's those free HBO weekends that remind me that I'm not missing anything by not subscribing to them. It's ironic how their attempt to entice me into paying for their service actually backfires. :icon_lol:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Oh dear. This thing is bad. REALLY bad. If I say too much about it, the whole movie is spoiled. The story is vapid, the acting is dismal and depressing, and the characters are just trash...how does the lead guy end up piloting the ship? He has the character and demeanour of an auto mechanic, and his family and surroundings are a shout out to blue collar lower middle America (evidently it's demographic target). Get plenty of coffee before going to see this. It is a nodder....more later when some of you have seen it.

I predict a big fat box office bomb worldwide.

And the last 10 minutes...LOL. Critics have mixed reviews, Many are gushing over Matthew McWhatever, and the director and such...but when you go to see a movie, you are going to see a show, not read who is in it or be entertained by who directed it. If that is what one wants, all they have to do is clip the credits and roll them over and over. As science fiction goes, this is bottom scrapings. It is still basically an interpersonal relationship story (a soap). Southern accents abound....

Read some reviews before seeing this.

i was saying that awhile back from the trailer

that is-how is it that a farmer-in a run down farmhouse driving, what by then, would be like a 100yr old truck?= is "you are the best pilot we ever had"?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
i was saying that awhile back from the trailer

that is-how is it that a farmer-in a run down farmhouse driving, what by then, would be like a 100yr old truck?= is "you are the best pilot we ever had"?

OMG, this show sounds terrible! :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG, this show sounds terrible! :icon_lol:

OMG....just....they really spent money on this? :facepalm:. The movie is already bad and boring and then in the last 10 minutes they just ramp up the crazy dial to full.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So basically this is a riff on 2001: A Space Odyssey made by someone who watched 2001 but completely failed to understand it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So basically this is a riff on 2001: A Space Odyssey made by someone who watched 2001 but completely failed to understand it.

YES! That is actually a great way to describe it....yep, that about says it. But this one is not artsy or intelligent. No "depth" to it. The writers on this thing just do not have the intellectual sophistication to accomplish what the premise was promising.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Warning a Rac80 rant ahead.....

sit down...

get comfortable....

Here it is:
I have real issues with the current way of saying a movie is a hit or not. I wish they would talk in numbers of tickets sold not dollars made. Prices of tickets are constantly going up so it's like comparing apples & Dogs. we don't attend movies as much as we did in the past so was Avatar (which I still haven't seen -looks moronic) really (and I mean REALLY!) bigger than the original Star Wars- a movie people went to see over and over again some as much as 13 or 14 times or even more? My response is NO! so start telling us the number of tickets sold so we can compare apples & apples.

end rant...
deep breath....
DONE! ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

sit down...

get comfortable....

Here it is:
I have real issues with the current way of saying a movie is a hit or not. I wish they would talk in numbers of tickets sold not dollars made. Prices of tickets are constantly going up so it's like comparing apples & Dogs. we don't attend movies as much as we did in the past so was Avatar (which I still haven't seen -looks moronic) really (and I mean REALLY!) bigger than the original Star Wars- a movie people went to see over and over again some as much as 13 or 14 times or even more? My response is NO! so start telling us the number of tickets sold so we can compare apples & apples.

end rant...
deep breath....
DONE! ;)

See....that is why I stay tuned to the Rac Channel. :) THIS is what I mean when I call a movie a bomb or awesome. Blade Runner tickets cost $1.85 when it came out in 1982. I remember, because I bought all of the tickets for the 6 of us who went to see it on opening day. :) Today, a piece of shit movie like Prometheus costs $12.00-$15.00 per ticket, plus today there are product sales and games too.

Avatar, while visually stunning, was a HORRIBLE movie and story. And because of that, the visual thing has been already done so Im not interested in seeing it in the movie theater. James Cameron is not really that provocative of a writer and neither is Ridley Scott. Anyway, I dont think Avatar was that great of a movie and yet it made several times more money than Blade Runner. This movie Interstellar is not worth a rewatch, even though a rewatch would clarify much of the muddy storyline. It is just too boring to deal with.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

sit down...

get comfortable....

Here it is:

end rant...
deep breath....
DONE! ;)
LOL!!!!!
You know you -can- find grades for movies in other metrics than box office takings. IIRC we have even discussed this before here and the "winner" was Gone with the wind.
Seriously, do ANY of us here really think how much money something can make is indicative of quality?
LOL!!!

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Here it is:

end rant...
deep breath....
DONE! ;)

If one uses tickets sold, then Gone With The Wind beat them all.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
LOL!!!!!
You know you -can- find grades for movies in other metrics than box office takings. IIRC we have even discussed this before here and the "winner" was Gone with the wind.
Seriously, do ANY of us here really think how much money something can make is indicative of quality?
LOL!!!

I think that how much money a movie makes is indicative of the quality because people who really like a movie will tell their friends and pay to watch it multiple times. However, it is impossible to compare the success of the Star Wars prequels to the original Star Wars by comparing box office receipts because of inflation.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I think that how much money a movie makes is indicative of the quality because people who really like a movie will tell their friends and pay to watch it multiple times.
What happens when your friend goes to see it and thinks its utter shit and convinces other people not to watch?
However, it is impossible to compare the success of the Star Wars prequels to the original Star Wars by comparing box office receipts because of inflation.
It requires mathematical conversion, it's not impossible.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think that how much money a movie makes is indicative of the quality because people who really like a movie will tell their friends and pay to watch it multiple times. However, it is impossible to compare the success of the Star Wars prequels to the original Star Wars by comparing box office receipts because of inflation.

Well, how much money something costs or makes isnt REALLY a measure of quality. Truffles cost a fortune. But they are literally a ball of fungus and they are the product of rotting tissue on tree roots. Not quality there, just rarity. Tickets to some art shows I have been to in Los Angeles were like $150.00 (charitable events), but the art was complete garbage. Now, the aim is to sell tickets and not to write good stories or have great acting skills. Some of the best movies made will never hold records for sales.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Well, how much money something costs or makes isnt REALLY a measure of quality. Truffles cost a fortune. But they are literally a ball of fungus and they are the product of rotting tissue on tree roots. Not quality there, just rarity. Tickets to some art shows I have been to in Los Angeles were like $150.00 (charitable events), but the art was complete garbage. Now, the aim is to sell tickets and not to write good stories or have great acting skills. Some of the best movies made will never hold records for sales.

Some people like to eat truffles. People who pay $150 to see an modern art show want to be seen paying $150 to see an modern art show.