INTERSTELLAR-first trailer

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I hope it's not a backwards engineered version of The Man Who Fell to Earth. ("Our planet is dying! Go find a new planet for us to live on!")

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Am I the only one who doesn't particularly like the premise? Nothing in our solar system can save us? Anyone who knows anything about colonizing space will know this, water is the key factor in the sustaining of any viable population. We have many places within our own solar system that house massive bodies of water, we also have many rocks, planets and asteroids which would supply us with the necessary means of sustained industrial capability. We would also be performing genetic and cybernetic enhancements to the humans as gravity has a huge impact on muscle degradation, plus humans would probably need double or triple the life span to ensure human survivability in such hostile environments.

NOPE we have to go to another planet in another solar system, we send 6 people who will some how, some how, do a planetary survey studying the weather patterns, proximity to the sun, tilt of the planet to gather data on seasons, then begin the process of constructing habit domes for the colonists (who will somehow get there but lets not get logic into this right?) considering they don't know how many colonists would be arriving, they possibly don't have two way communication so they don't know if they completed their mission so there is a huge possibility if they fail we would just be sending hundreds of people to their deaths.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
NOPE we have to go to another planet in another solar system, we send 6 people who will some how, some how, do a planetary survey studying the weather patterns, proximity to the sun, tilt of the planet to gather data on seasons, then begin the process of constructing habit domes for the colonists (who will somehow get there but lets not get logic into this right?) considering they don't know how many colonists would be arriving, they possibly don't have two way communication so they don't know if they completed their mission so there is a huge possibility if they fail we would just be sending hundreds of people to their deaths.

We have the tech to do all that unmanned, including building habitats using mobile 3D printers.

http://www.universetoday.com/111244...-moon-bases-and-improve-things-used-in-space/

They could have gone with a more realistic premise and the drama could have ensued the first humans reaching the new colony just after it's been built.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Am I the only one who doesn't particularly like the premise? Nothing in our solar system can save us? Anyone who knows anything about colonizing space will know this, water is the key factor in the sustaining of any viable population. We have many places within our own solar system that house massive bodies of water, we also have many rocks, planets and asteroids which would supply us with the necessary means of sustained industrial capability. We would also be performing genetic and cybernetic enhancements to the humans as gravity has a huge impact on muscle degradation, plus humans would probably need double or triple the life span to ensure human survivability in such hostile environments.

perhaps it is an issue with the solar sys and not just earth?

perhaps for once--giving recent trends--we will have a scenario where man is not to blame for the earth's in-habitability?

We have the tech to do all that unmanned, including building habitats using mobile 3D printers.

http://www.universetoday.com/111244...-moon-bases-and-improve-things-used-in-space/

They could have gone with a more realistic premise and the drama could have ensued the first humans reaching the new colony just after it's been built.
in the not to distant future we can use genetic code communicated digitally to download onto a large more advanced 3D printer to a have a fax of men do the exploring and establishing of a bridgehead

today, ppl are printing out digitally transmitted samples of bio matter found elsewhere--it is used also to print out virus' and bacteria for research--all living org's

the ability to fully scan and digitize a whole person and his/her parts--perhaps with advanced enhancements?- then either send along with the mission with the 3D print lab, or later transmitting the data, is not at all out of the realm of the soon to be possible

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan

This is what bothers me, if this movie came out during say the 90's I would of completely understood why they were thinking that way. Now? Well maybe I'm just getting tired of pointing over to the real world science and saying "Yeah the stuff of fiction you are creating is surpassed by a few decades in the real scientific world." This is what always gets me, why do these people have to be just human, we by our very nature are fragile, space is an unforgiving hostile place and an alien world is slightly less than that, why can't we see the transhumanism aspect thrown in, in that to save the human race a few individuals must undergo enhancements which would change them for the rest of their lives.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This is what bothers me, if this movie came out during say the 90's I would of completely understood why they were thinking that way. Now? Well maybe I'm just getting tired of pointing over to the real world science and saying "Yeah the stuff of fiction you are creating is surpassed by a few decades in the real scientific world." This is what always gets me, why do these people have to be just human, we by our very nature are fragile, space is an unforgiving hostile place and an alien world is slightly less than that, why can't we see the transhumanism aspect thrown in, in that to save the human race a few individuals must undergo enhancements which would change them for the rest of their lives.

This bugs me too. One doesn't have to be a NASA scientist to figure out that space travel would be (and already is) detrimental to the human body. It's one thing for an astronaut to go to an orbiting space station for a few months (and lose some bone density) but quite another for an astronaut to commit to years (or a lifetime) of living in such an environment. And that's just in regards to gravity and the human body. We haven't even begun to discuss the effects of velocity on the human body. Nor have we discussed the issue of radiation on the human body.

I know I'm being Captain Buzzkill but that's why I'm paid the big bucks around here. ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I'm for anything that launches Matthew Mcconaughey off this planet.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

lol I bet bluce's lovely wife just loves that sweet texas accent of Matt's! ;)

paragonpie- I wonder if by the time this group gets to the planet, Earth will have progressed far beyond and be at the new planet before this group arrives! :P

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Am I the only one who doesn't particularly like the premise? Nothing in our solar system can save us? Anyone who knows anything about colonizing space will know this, water is the key factor in the sustaining of any viable population. We have many places within our own solar system that house massive bodies of water. we also have many rocks, planets and asteroids which would supply us with the necessary means of sustained industrial capability. We would also be performing genetic and cybernetic enhancements to the humans as gravity has a huge impact on muscle degradation, plus humans would probably need double or triple the life span to ensure human survivability in such hostile environments.

ever read asimov's short story the Martian way? now that would make a great scifi movie! :D

I fear it may be a disappointment like Gravity was! (note: did you know gravity was for sale over black friday for $1.96!) so tell me what you all think about it when you see it! Although it does have Matthew McConaughey... ;)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
So, everyone I've talked to who has seen this movie said it was slow and disappointing. Yeah, I'm looking forward to catching this one by accident on HBO on some boring sunday afternoon whenever it hits.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, everyone I've talked to who has seen this movie said it was slow anslow paced, "dead in spots". Not making me want to see it.d disappointing. Yeah, I'm looking forward to catching this one by accident on HBO on some boring sunday afternoon whenever it hits.

LOL! I have been asking too, and the first response before any words has been a shoulder shrug, a smirk or pursing of the lips (in a "well, i dunno" way). Boring, they say. Slow paced.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So, everyone I've talked to who has seen this movie said it was slow and disappointing. Yeah, I'm looking forward to catching this one by accident on HBO on some boring sunday afternoon whenever it hits.

got to keep in mind though the minimal attn spans of most americans these days

if something doesn't blow up in the opening scene, followed by sex and then more explosions--the movie sucks

similar things were said about OBLIVION and Tom Cruise aside-it was actually pretty good

but yes--i will spend no more money then I already do on HBO and my netflix and AmPrime subscriptions--and wait for it

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
got to keep in mind though the minimal attn spans of most americans these days

if something doesn't blow up in the opening scene, followed by sex and then more explosions--the movie sucks

similar things were said about OBLIVION and Tom Cruise aside-it was actually pretty good

but yes--i will spend no more money then I already do on HBO and my netflix and AmPrime subscriptions--and wait for it

After watching Oblivion quite a few times, I just do not understand why it got bad reviews. It was actually AWESOME. Lots of rewatch potential, excellent story and writing AND acting. But some of the big bucks productions just fall flat with me even if audiences liked them.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
After watching Oblivion quite a few times, I just do not understand why it got bad reviews. It was actually AWESOME. Lots of rewatch potential, excellent story and writing AND acting. But some of the big bucks productions just fall flat with me even if audiences liked them.

I admit I wasn't interested in Oblivion at all because of Tom Cruise, who is a good actor but I just don't care for him as a person. Then I saw the flick and really liked it. It wasn't perfect but for the most part it was well made and it kept my interest. And you're right, unlike a lot of movies today this one actually has rewatch potential.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I admit I wasn't interested in Oblivion at all because of Tom Cruise, who is a good actor but I just don't care for him as a person. Then I saw the flick and really liked it. It wasn't perfect but for the most part it was well made and it kept my interest. And you're right, unlike a lot of movies today this one actually has rewatch potential.

that's what I mean..perhaps INTERSTELLAR will be like OBLIVION in that way--the nincompoop short attn span american will say they both suck while ppl more like us who tend to pay more attn liked OBLIVION and I am guessing we will like INTERSTELLAR as well

Again, ppl thought OBLIVION sucked because not enough explosions or murderous CGI aliens and not enough sex

and, like some other good sci fi movies--everything isn't spoon fed on OBLIVION--another thing American audiences absolutely HATE! Do not make them have to think or they will trash your movie forever

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
that's what I mean..perhaps INTERSTELLAR will be like OBLIVION in that way--the nincompoop short attn span american will say they both suck while ppl more like us who tend to pay more attn liked OBLIVION and I am guessing we will like INTERSTELLAR as well

Again, ppl thought OBLIVION sucked because not enough explosions or murderous CGI aliens and not enough sex

and, like some other good sci fi movies--everything isn't spoon fed on OBLIVION--another thing American audiences absolutely HATE! Do not make them have to think or they will trash your movie forever

Oh dear. This thing is bad. REALLY bad. If I say too much about it, the whole movie is spoiled. The story is vapid, the acting is dismal and depressing, and the characters are just trash...how does the lead guy end up piloting the ship? He has the character and demeanour of an auto mechanic, and his family and surroundings are a shout out to blue collar lower middle America (evidently it's demographic target). Get plenty of coffee before going to see this. It is a nodder....more later when some of you have seen it.

I predict a big fat box office bomb worldwide.

And the last 10 minutes...LOL. Critics have mixed reviews, Many are gushing over Matthew McWhatever, and the director and such...but when you go to see a movie, you are going to see a show, not read who is in it or be entertained by who directed it. If that is what one wants, all they have to do is clip the credits and roll them over and over. As science fiction goes, this is bottom scrapings. It is still basically an interpersonal relationship story (a soap). Southern accents abound....

Read some reviews before seeing this.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Yeah, huge bomb.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/4-Big-Reasons-Why-Interstellar-Huge-Disaster-68087-p4.html

When I refer to a bomb, I am NEVER talking about money. I am talking about substance, writing, perception, critical and social commentary, etc. Steve Jobs was a multi-billionaire, and was a horrible person and an asshole. Success should not be measured by money alone. Box office bomb means money, sure. But it also means visceral and worldwide opinion, huh? :)

Two questions:

1. Have you seen it?
  2. If you dont like it, are you wrong because it made more than $500m

Worldwide, this dreck has pulled in over 560m so far. Avatar pulled in over 1bn and it is a piece of shit.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, huge bomb.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/4-Big-Reasons-Why-Interstellar-Huge-Disaster-68087-p4.html

When I refer to a bomb, I am NEVER talking about money. I am talking about substance, writing, perception, critical and social commentary, etc. Steve Jobs was a multi-billionaire, and was a horrible person and an asshole. Success should not be measured by money alone. Box office bomb means money, sure. But it also means visceral and worldwide opinion, huh? :)

Two questions:

1. Have you seen it?
  2. If you dont like it, are you wrong because it made more than $500m

Worldwide, this dreck has pulled in over 560m so far. Avatar pulled in over 1bn and it is a piece of shit.

OM1 said:
I predict a big fat box office bomb worldwide.
bullshit.gif