Independence Day: Resurgence (ID4:2)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Adding...

I just watched your video and I REALLY can't wait to see it now! WOW! What I do not understand is some of the later scifi movies and superhero flicks is that they always have to show entire cities getting trashed. I mean completely destroyed, smashed to rubble. You cannot just rebuild shit like a major metropolitan area in 5 years or even 10. New York and Los Angeles and most everywhere was absolutely leveled in ID4. Carting away the debris alone would take at least 5 or 10 years, as well as dismantling the alien ships which crashed dead center of cities. And during all of that, scientists somewhere were reverse engineering the alien tech, and in 20 years, we have a hybrid fighting force and the cities are rebuilt?

Still, I want to see it. I do think it's a money grab movie, but it will be a proper blockbuster for sure. "They have their own gravity?" :daniel_new_anime005: :thoranime12:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
What does the alien race get out of wasting a shitload of resources manually fighting earthlings? It seems like a highly illogical approach to such an endeavor.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Adding...

I just watched your video and I REALLY can't wait to see it now! WOW! What I do not understand is some of the later scifi movies and superhero flicks is that they always have to show entire cities getting trashed. I mean completely destroyed, smashed to rubble. You cannot just rebuild shit like a major metropolitan area in 5 years or even 10. New York and Los Angeles and most everywhere was absolutely leveled in ID4. Carting away the debris alone would take at least 5 or 10 years, as well as dismantling the alien ships which crashed dead center of cities. And during all of that, scientists somewhere were reverse engineering the alien tech, and in 20 years, we have a hybrid fighting force and the cities are rebuilt?

Still, I want to see it. I do think it's a money grab movie, but it will be a proper blockbuster for sure. "They have their own gravity?" :daniel_new_anime005: :thoranime12:

A lot can be transformed in 20 years, especially with modern technology. Throw in the alien tech they have in this movie and 20 years would seem like plenty of time.

Even now we can build houses and large building complexes using large-scale mobile 3D printers in a matter of days, which is unheard of.

http://www.cnet.com/news/worlds-first-3d-printed-apartment-building-constructed-in-china/

There's also a variation that can build skyscapers by climbing the structure as it prints it.

As for the debris? I would imagine between anti-gravity tech and weapons that can disintegrate matter, they probably have that covered in a very short period of time.

It's really not such a stretch.

You have to admit, though, it's a hell of a lot more realistic than rebuilding Metropolis in 5 years. :icon_lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And....the movie is out and man is it bad....I was forced to go watch it (in a mostly empty theater) and the most complimentary term I can think of for it is "incompetent". The plot is illogical, characters do dumb stuff constantly and the acting is in the "I'm collecting a paycheck" school. The SFX are nice but WAY overblown - they actually have an alien ship 3000 miles in width land in the Atlantic ocean....:icon_rotflmao:

I think this film is edging closer to OM1's vision of superheroes playing basketball with planets....

BTW, the film is also getting savaged by critics and audiences and based on a horrid opening weekend where it got crushed by "Finding Dory" (which is not in its opening weekend) the fear is it will not even break even (remember foreign box-office returns to the filmmakers only a small fraction of what domestic does).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So I' ve heard....

Im getting it alternatively. Ill add my comments later.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
And....the movie is out and man is it bad....I was forced to go watch it (in a mostly empty theater) and the most complimentary term I can think of for it is "incompetent". The plot is illogical, characters do dumb stuff constantly and the acting is in the "I'm collecting a paycheck" school. The SFX are nice but WAY overblown - they actually have an alien ship 3000 miles in width land in the Atlantic ocean....:icon_rotflmao:

I think this film is edging closer to OM1's vision of superheroes playing basketball with planets....

BTW, the film is also getting savaged by critics and audiences and based on a horrid opening weekend where it got crushed by "Finding Dory" (which is not in its opening weekend) the fear is it will not even break even (remember foreign box-office returns to the filmmakers only a small fraction of what domestic does).

Would love to know more details about it. Spoiler them if you want to. I'm not about to go see this one in the theater so you won't be spoiling it for me if you spill the beans.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well, let's see....

We get a giant alien queen near the end who is kind of a cross between the queen in "ALIENS" and a Kaiju. The final battle is against her.

We also get "good guy" aliens who basically exist to set up a third film (please no...).

Brent Spiner is back and even more annoying than before....

In fact, except for Will Smith they had pretty much every significant character from the original turn up.

Oh, and now they want to suck the core out of Earth to power their giant ship. If a magma core is what they need all they need is an Earth sized planet; it would not have to be Earth.

Let's just stop with this nonsense of giving movies a sequel 10+ (in this case 20) years after they first aired...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, let's see....

We get a giant alien queen near the end who is kind of a cross between the queen in "ALIENS" and a Kaiju. The final battle is against her.

We also get "good guy" aliens who basically exist to set up a third film (please no...).

In fact, except for Will Smith they had pretty much every significant character from the original turn up.

Oh, and now they want to suck the core out of Earth to power their giant ship. If a magma core is what they need all they need is an Earth sized planet; it would not have to be Earth.

Let's just stop with this nonsense of giving movies a sequel 10+ (in this case 20) years after they first aired...

Just so you know, there IS a sequel, plus another sequel after that. Perhaps the studios will pull the plug if the overall take at box office is dismal worldwide?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Would love to know more details about it. Spoiler them if you want to. I'm not about to go see this one in the theater so you won't be spoiling it for me if you spill the beans.

Surprisingly, this is not in the "channels" yet. Generally, they are in there hours after opening night. I can wait....I am not going to pay money to see this.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well, let's see....

It sounds perfectly dreadful. A giant alien queen? Seriously? :rolleye0014::rolleye0014::rolleye0014:

And they need the Earth's core because their ship is fueled by magma? Seriously? :rolleye0014::rolleye0014::rolleye0014:

Wow, that is some bad writing. :beckett_new050:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Wow. They could have drained Venus but that wouldn't have made an interesting movie. And if molten rock is what they need to power the ship why not just collect asteroids and super heat them? What a dumbass premise. :icon_lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
BTW Emmerich said the sequel depends on this one being successful.

Remind me again why we should be excited to have this "director" helming the new Stargate film?

So far I have to rate his work as:

Good:

Stargate

Decent:

Independence Day

Awful:

The Day After Tomorrow
Godzilla
Independence Day Resurgence
Moon 44 (I just found out he wrote this film - which I saw a few years ago and it was horrid)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
BTW Emmerich said the sequel depends on this one being successful.

Remind me again why we should be excited to have this "director" helming the new Stargate film?

So far I have to rate his work as:

Good:

Stargate

Decent:

Independence Day

Awful:

The Day After Tomorrow
Godzilla
Independence Day Resurgence
Moon 44 (I just found out he wrote this film - which I saw a few years ago and it was horrid)

When I read about the 3000 mile alien ship, they lost me right there...without even having to see it. In order for me to be amazed by that, I would have to stop asking myself why they did not bring that ship the first time they came. Why wouldn't earth have some insight on the aliens? They destroyed the SHIPS in ID4, but the aliens inside them would be unaffected by the virus. Lots would be dead, but lots more would not be dead. They could have interrogated them using some sort of device. Screw logic, eh?

Regarding Stargate, I still would rather them have it back than have a continuance of Brad Wright's version with the Goa'uld and earth spaceships with transporters and phasers. Who else would they get? Michael Bay?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
you know, sometimes a sequel or a re-make of an old film or series IS a good thing.

somewhere along the line though, someone went way overboard and cut imagination from the budget.

sequels and remakes CAN BE done right if ppl actually give a crap about what they are doing.

ahh, we have all spoke on this before, so....<<sigh>>

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I have seen this movie.

I may have to watch it again to fully get what the hell they were trying to do here, but in a nutshell it was the Sister Act 2 of Independence Day ID4. Essentially the same movie, only much worse. Too many callbacks to the original, and the addition of new shit which will allow them to move much further in the story. A lot of it is crap writing and lazy storytelling, and a lot of it is implausible and ridiculous,

like the aliens being after the molten core of the earth. Really? So, they passed up Mars and the even larger molten core of Venus for Earth's core even after they found it in habited by a nasty, well armed and protective human race inhabiting it. They kept Dr Okin and killed off President Whitmore and Hiller's mother (Vivica Fox), and brought in a brand new AI/alien with knowledge to give to Humanity which will allow them to travel to the aliens later and "kick some alien butt"?

Some new characters have been introduced (thrown in might be a better description), and they are meh. I might do a review on this.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I told y'all it was bad....the most complimentary term I could give it was "incompetent"...:smiley-015:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I told y'all it was bad....the most complimentary term I could give it was "incompetent"...:smiley-015:

Their strategy is changing. The movie studios no longer have to rely on domestic box office to fulfill the formula (making money). The "worldwide boxoffice" is the new benchmark they are going by, and the paltry boxoffice figures here in the US will not make ID4:2 a bomb.

http://fortune.com/2016/06/29/independence-day-resurgence-flop/

There is going to be an Independence Day 3 whether we like it or not. It will take us from earth into space and possibly to another planet, using the technology from the sphere. This movie and most movies we have been seeing lately are just "products" now. :(

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
What they miss in that article is that there are very valid reasons the studios rate domestic box-office over foreign box-office when assessing the success of a film. The primary one is that the studios get a much bigger percentage of the theater revenue domestically than overseas. As noted in this article:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5747305/how-much-money-does-a-movie-need-to-make-to-be-profitable

https://www.quora.com/How-much-mone...movie-need-to-gross-to-actually-make-a-profit

So if a film does incredibly well overseas but flops in the U.S., does that make it a hit? As with everything else to do with box office, the answer is "it depends." But generally, domestic revenue seems to be be better for studios than overseas revenue, because the studios take a bigger cut of domestic revenue.

According to the book The Hollywood Economist by Edward Jay Epstein, studios take in about 40 percent of the revenue from overseas release — and after expenses, they're lucky if they take in 15 percent of that number.

So what this means in terms of the ID4-2 disaster:

So far the Studios have taken in probably 55% on the domestic take (as that seems to be the standard) or 39.6 million of the 73 million domestic take. Of the $172 million foreign gross they have received roughly 15%, or 25.8 million. And then they have to pay all the costs.

All one need do is consider the film's basic production cost of $165 million and remember that the general rule of thumb seems to be to assume an advertising and promotional spend for a film of at least half its production budget if not 100% of its production budget and one can see why the studios regard domestic box-office more highly.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Every review I've read or heard about this flick has been negative. I even heard them talking about it on Coast-to-Coast last night and they said to give it a pass until it makes it to the budget cinema. :icon_lol: