Independence Day: Resurgence (ID4:2)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This one is being secretive, much more so than the first movie. 20th Century Fox has only released the title and a few cast interviews:

Cast interview talls how this movie advances the story (a bit)

The movie will be shot in New Mexico, and Will Smith will not be in it (although most all of the rest of the cast will be in it)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes he did. Plus Will Smith is not in it but his wife (in the film) is?

This sounds like a dog.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes he did. Plus Will Smith is not in it but his wife (in the film) is?

This sounds like a dog.

His wife AND the little boy (his son) is in it, grown up. Everyone else is on board, and earth has hybrid tech from the first invasion. Im looking forward to it! The third movie is being shot with the second one (a la Matrix). We get two sequels for sure.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
His wife AND the little boy (his son) is in it, grown up. Everyone else is on board, and earth has hybrid tech from the first invasion. Im looking forward to it! The third movie is being shot with the second one (a la Matrix). We get two sequels for sure.

That doesn't sound reassuring most sequels have been crap. Other than Back to the Future I don't know which sequel have actually turned out well which were filmed back to back. Lord of the rings dragged on way too much despite the soundtrack sounding amazing and its the same thing with the hobbit. The graphics looked amateurish for lotr and bad and the Matrix the sequels were terrible great fight scenes and music but it was a terrible ending.

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
In before Bluce can: :)

:P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They will ruin this only if they merely rework the original script and give us an updated version of the same story with a little twist (like moving things forward 10 years). I do know that Emmerich will not trample the canon of his first ID4.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
If there not showing much about it in a preview then at least I find that to be a good thing . Like I have stated here before , a lot of trailers show to much of the movie and they give away the surprises too early ... This might not be too bad . We won't know until its out ... I still get a kick out of the original ...

:) :) :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
"direct to download"?

:) ID4 is going to be packaged as a summer blockbuster (whether it does well or not). This is a first tier movie with a huge budget.

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
They will ruin this only if they merely rework the original script and give us an updated version of the same story with a little twist (like moving things forward 10 years). I do know that Emmerich will not trample the canon of his first ID4.

You mean 20 years.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Is he insane? I read the article...sounds like he and his wife have had too much fun with drugs?

I see where he was "caught (I mean-how could you miss that grunge?)" today crossing into Vermont

I give him 6mo's to a yr before he has a reality show on BRAVO or A&E

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The movie looks like ludicrous garbage.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here is the trailer CGI looks cheap

The movie looks like ludicrous garbage.

I think it looks properly updated from the first movie without being so much different that it seems unrelated. I also think it will do just fine without Will Smith in it. It was never supposed to be high science fiction and it was always about alien invasion, destruction and explosions and aerial dogfights, then a win at the end. It is a reliable formula and it does not really need any family drama or interpersonal melodrama. I am looking forward to it. But from what I understand, there are TWO of these movies to come. This is the first, which means that the ending might not be one. :( They may end it on the second movie. Or, perhaps they decided to merge the two films?

Weird shit:

Brent Spiner is in the new movie (um, how?)
Will Smith is not in the movie (um, why?)
Jesse Usher plays Will Smith's adopted son (Vivica Fox is in the movie as his mother)
Former President Whitmore and his now grown up daughter are in the movie

I can't get a sense of these new ships. They look massive, but we don't get to see much of the overall design in the movie. I like the new fighter planes/ships. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Except that it was crystal clear in the first movie that ALL the aliens were dead and that the world ship that attacked Earth was their entire civilization.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
And here we go again with a WHOLE "UNIVERSE" of backstory

warof1996.com

gives a year by year history of what has happened since the first movie--including the "congo ground war" against a band of alien survivors

will this be the movie where the web site is 'required reading' ?

http://www.warof1996.com/