I can't wait for December!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Queen Mary 2 is built to a completely different standard than the Costa Concordia. Had QM2 been handled as stupidly as Concordia was, she would have been able to sail away and be repaired. BIG difference between a cruise ship and an ocean liner.

Still, I'd check the captain's pedigree just to be sure. After all, you don't want to find yourself channeling Kate Winslet ala Titanic; your lithe and nubile body clinging to a floating door as Leo Dicaprio (whom you've had a short-lived and torrid shipboard affair with) slips from your grasp and sinks into the icy depths, taking your heart with him. :moody:

roflbot (5).jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Still, I'd check the captain's pedigree just to be sure. After all, you don't want to find yourself channeling Kate Winslet ala Titanic; your lithe and nubile body clinging to a floating door as Leo Dicaprio (whom you've had a short-lived and torrid shipboard affair with) slips from your grasp and sinks into the icy depths, taking your heart with him. :moody:

View attachment 33005

:shep_lol::icon_rotflmao::SmileyLaughingTears::crying-028::smiley-laughing024::smiley-laughing024::smiley-laughing024:

I remember that scene...perfect!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
QM2's captains (there are two that rotate through the year) are both long time veteran ship masters. The same is true of the other two ships.

As to the Titanic photo, are you sure Shaved you're not wishing you were involved with Leonardo DiCaprio :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And... I HATE that stupid film!

Titanic was one of those films that seemed totally awesome at first, and I rewatched it about 5 times and suddenly it repulsed me. Enough that I did not stop feeling soiled by it until I physically deleted it from my movie library. :anim_59: There are few movies which deserve The Purge. Prometheus and Alien 4: Resurrection and The Seed of Chucky and Titanic are in that group. POOF!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
As to the Titanic photo, are you sure Shaved you're not wishing you were involved with Leonardo DiCaprio :D

Actually, DiCaprio does nothing for me, go figure. But enough about my libidinous needs, let's concentrate on making sure that you don't have a mishap and fall overboard on your voyage. Trust me, the last thing you want is to find yourself playing-out a poor man's version of Captains Courageous. Getting fished out of the drink and being put to work as a galley slave to a gaggle of Portuguese fishermen isn't as fun as it sounds. (Don't ask how I know. :icon_redface:)

220px-Captains_Courageous_poster.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually, DiCaprio does nothing for me, go figure. But enough about my libidinous needs, let's concentrate on making sure that you don't have a mishap and fall overboard on your voyage. Trust me, the last thing you want is to find yourself playing-out a poor man's version of Captains Courageous. Getting fished out of the drink and being put to work as a galley slave to a gaggle of Portuguese fishermen isn't as fun as it sounds. (Don't ask how I know. :icon_redface:)

220px-Captains_Courageous_poster.jpg
Now we know why Shaved doesn't like fish boils so much!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
image.jpeg
And my ride is back in service. Here is one picture of a small pice of the refit:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I plan to. Trying to decide if my phone is sufficient for the video needs or if an actual handheld video recorder is called for.

don't forget to check on re-charging issue

does England and the Queen Mary have the same 115v outlets we do?

it would suck big time if you brought your gear only to not be able to recharge

though i am sure the on board gift shop would be happy to sell you the most expensive outlet adapter in the world :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Cunard queens have both US and European outlets in every stateroom. They also have flat screen TVs with multimedia junction boxes. Internet at sea is obviously satellite as is phone.

I'm thinking right now that the best way to do this is post in text during the voyage and upload all the video after I return.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
yes yes- you must share pics! It's going to be an amazing trip for you! :D

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And....two days until I embark!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

That's right! Please PLEASE take some fantastic photos you would be willing to share here. :) You are going to have a fantastic time! I wish I could be on that cruise. Pictures will help....

Hey, is there internet on ships?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Cunard queens have both US and European outlets in every stateroom. They also have flat screen TVs with multimedia junction boxes. Internet at sea is obviously satellite as is phone.

I'm thinking right now that the best way to do this is post in text during the voyage and upload all the video after I return.

Nevermind...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm pretty sure the Satellite Internet is MCP (Maritime Communications Partners). I'll see what the bandwidth is and that will tell me how I can do posting pictures while at sea.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Titanic was one of those films that seemed totally awesome at first, and I rewatched it about 5 times and suddenly it repulsed me. Enough that I did not stop feeling soiled by it until I physically deleted it from my movie library. :anim_59: There are few movies which deserve The Purge. Prometheus and Alien 4: Resurrection and The Seed of Chucky and Titanic are in that group. POOF!

I am pretty excited for you Joe ... WooHoo !!! What an adventure ...

What I enjoyed about the Titanic was seeing the Titanic . The worlds greatest ship right there before your eyes on screen . I was in awe . I don't remember seeing anyone in that movie lol . There were people on board ? Really ? Just that awesome ship was all I saw . Pretty sure I had the mute on ... Seriously tho , I thought it was ok . A very sad tale with a bit of romance thrown in to lighten up the situation . No biggie . It was all about the ship for me ...

;) ;) ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

will you be floating back as well or taking a plane?

------------------------------------

wonder of there is are any whales on migration during this time in that part of the sea? it would be cool to see some marine mammal life

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Plane back.

Now at sea. What an experience! Suffice it to say for now that Cunard is in its own class. Amazing ship and service. More to come.