Hayden-the man-Christensen rumored for EP VIII

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
IMdB? I dont think so! This rumor had already reached the threshhold by the time IMdB got wind of it. The Industry folks are buzzing about it.

At some point, you are going to have to understand Abrams and the way he teases his movies. The Millenium Falcon was not going to be in the movie. Kahn was not the villain in Star Trek Into Dumbness...just two major ones which proved to be false (but many already knew the rumors were true). This one is even easier to take as truth because of the circumstances. It wasnt exactly found in a fortune cookie....

Yes OM, IMDb linked to another site for that article, and in both the IMDb blurb and the article they call it a dubious rumor. So I stated accurately.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Here is the exact text:

…In the rather dubious rumour department, and some sources with the Star Wars: Episode VIII camp (currently filming in Ireland) are suggesting that a team is set to fly out to the US and film some scenes with Hayden Christensen who is now “back in training”. The rumours suggest this could be for Star Wars: Episode VIII in either a flashback or as a ghost (playing into the George Lucas cannon version of Return of the Jedi), but he could also be doing something for Rogue One: A Star Wars story where Darth Vader is rumoured to appear. Get a pinch of salt and take it with this news…

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
from the "rumors" this Kylo Ren character and the "knghts of ren" are,in some way, admirers/worshipers(?) of DV and the Sith

I am thinking that he will not appear as a ghost--don't think its JJ's style--he likes flashbacks or straight out appearances

I am still betting he will be in EP8 as a cloned Anakin--BUT , that doesn't mean he will be evil. he would have to be turned evil--JJ could have Anakin on the good side (you know how JJ likes to rewrite "history" and all/ create alternatives)

And I am hedging that if he is not in EP8 then he will be in Rogue One OR the Han Solo and Boba Fett anthology movies--in these we would see the masked DV as well as the face of Christensen while Vader is on his down time in his pod.

and like I said, dont forget what could be the real driver behind these possibilities--COLD CASH DISNEY BABIES!

Just think of all the new DV stuff they can make as toys--DV in full costume, DV figure with a removable helmet showing us Christensen with the appropriate burn marks, video games, etc,etc

Rogue One makes the most sense for an actual appearance, as it is set after he is put in the suit but shortly before the Original Star Wars film. However, they don't need Christiansen for that so IF they are consulting him at all it is to film a couple of flashback scenes.

If they had him as a ghost in either film he would have to be a "good ghost" because Anakin turned back to the light before dying in RotJ.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here is the exact text:

…In the rather dubious rumour department, and some sources with the Star Wars: Episode VIII camp (currently filming in Ireland) are suggesting that a team is set to fly out to the US and film some scenes with Hayden Christensen who is now “back in training”. The rumours suggest this could be for Star Wars: Episode VIII in either a flashback or as a ghost (playing into the George Lucas cannon version of Return of the Jedi), but he could also be doing something for Rogue One: A Star Wars story where Darth Vader is rumoured to appear. Get a pinch of salt and take it with this news…

:) Like I said before, the Industry was buzzing about this long before the rumor surfaced. Of course, we will find out soon enough, but I am betting that this particular tidbit is true, and that his appearance as a force ghost in Star Wars is going to happen. Like Kahn being the villian in Trek (after it was officially denied when rumors began), and in this film, it was denied that the Millenium Falcon was going to be in the film (also a rumor that turned out to be true), Hayden Christensen is going to be Darth Vader's force ghost in Star Wars VII. And yes, he will be a good ghost because Anakin came back to the Jedi at the end of RoTJ. Still a rumor, but likely true. Gentleman's bet? It isnt really gambling!

The rumor is not related to Rogue One, it is connected only to Star Wars VII. This afternoon I tried to find out for sure, and nobody is positive yet. Christensen may appear live in Rogue One. I am not hearing much about Rogue One. No matter where he appears he will be Anakin. At least you are not saying Christensen wont be in the films at all...:)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Why would they even have to show HC at all? If they do a flashback they will be showing Vader (I assume) as opposed to Anakin. Vader wore the breathing mask. Anakin didn't. Hell, they could stuff anybody into the Vader costume and be done with it. (And if for some reason they are going to flashback to a time before Anakin became Vader, well, that's just dumb. Who wants to see that? Not me.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why would they even have to show HC at all? If they do a flashback they will be showing Vader (I assume) as opposed to Anakin. Vader wore the breathing mask. Anakin didn't. Hell, they could stuff anybody into the Vader costume and be done with it. (And if for some reason they are going to flashback to a time before Anakin became Vader, well, that's just dumb. Who wants to see that? Not me.

Force ghost. That would be the only reason to get him specifically.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And that would be dumb, don't you agree?

I totally agree. I wish there were no parts for HC in any of the films. I do not consider him a good actor. I wonder what Abrams feels about the OT and the prequels? Which are his favorite? I don't know why, but I bet Abrams liked the prequels better than the OT. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Except Abrams has nothing to do with Episode VIII. That would be Rian Johnson. And Rogue One is from Gareth Edwards.

Maybe He'll be in it as An indigestion induced nightmare that Luke has. He wakes up and tells Han he had a bad dream that his father turned into a whiny drama queen...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Rogue One makes the most sense for an actual appearance, as it is set after he is put in the suit but shortly before the Original Star Wars film. However, they don't need Christiansen for that so IF they are consulting him at all it is to film a couple of flashback scenes.

If they had him as a ghost in either film he would have to be a "good ghost" because Anakin turned back to the light before dying in RotJ.

yes, the ghost would be a "good guy"

but still,not thinking ghosts are JJ's mode--in LOST and FRINGE it was flashbacks/flashforwards and even the appearance of a live character when thought to be dead

Christensen would be needed--the younger Vader would be more able to go without his mask for longer periods of time/more often

we see in EMPIRE was it?, where he was in his "pod" no helmet,no mask

like OM said-JJ works in strange ways with the rumor dept-so will just have to wait and see

again, by this time in the pre production of ep 7--2 yrs prior,it was rumor about the original cast being in ep 7

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Except Abrams has nothing to do with Episode VIII. That would be Rian Johnson. And Rogue One is from Gareth Edwards.

Maybe He'll be in it as An indigestion induced nightmare that Luke has. He wakes up and tells Han he had a bad dream that his father turned into a whiny drama queen...

It wont matter (like in Star Trek). Once ruined, it really does not matter who comes in later. Abrams is no longer doing Star Trek, but the ruined universe he excreted and fished from the toilet is the one we are stuck with until somebody fixes it. If HC is in Star Wars VII, you cannot just pretend he wasn’t there and move on to Star Wars VIII.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

lets hope there are no JJ alternate realities involved

maybe will see an unburnt,non corrupted,alt universe Anakin come through a wormhole just ahead of a massive Imperial star destroyer and...wait, JJ used that scenario in another movie

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
:) Like I said before, the Industry was buzzing about this long before the rumor surfaced. Of course, we will find out soon enough, but I am betting that this particular tidbit is true, and that his appearance as a force ghost in Star Wars is going to happen. Like Kahn being the villian in Trek (after it was officially denied when rumors began), and in this film, it was denied that the Millenium Falcon was going to be in the film (also a rumor that turned out to be true), Hayden Christensen is going to be Darth Vader's force ghost in Star Wars VII. And yes, he will be a good ghost because Anakin came back to the Jedi at the end of RoTJ. Still a rumor, but likely true. Gentleman's bet? It isnt really gambling!

The rumor is not related to Rogue One, it is connected only to Star Wars VII. This afternoon I tried to find out for sure, and nobody is positive yet. Christensen may appear live in Rogue One. I am not hearing much about Rogue One. No matter where he appears he will be Anakin. At least you are not saying Christensen wont be in the films at all...:)

he is going to play Anakin's lost twin brother,whom Shmi hid from Watto on Tattoine and stashed him in a huge,4 toed statue of a human....oh wait,,JJ did that already as well

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
yes, the ghost would be a "good guy"

but still,not thinking ghosts are JJ's mode--in LOST and FRINGE it was flashbacks/flashforwards and even the appearance of a live character when thought to be dead

Christensen would be needed--the younger Vader would be more able to go without his mask for longer periods of time/more often

we see in EMPIRE was it?, where he was in his "pod" no helmet,no mask

Excellent point. JJ is more into flashbacks/flashforwards.

like OM said-JJ works in strange ways with the rumor dept-so will just have to wait and see

again, by this time in the pre production of ep 7--2 yrs prior,it was rumor about the original cast being in ep 7

My point exactly...he works in strange (but very predictable) ways. He thinks he is "teasing" the audience, but it is just dumb and predictable.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Except there aren't even rumors that he is in VII.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
DARTH VADER--Money magnet--it would be a financially unsound decision to not incorporate vader into future films in some way

They also found out which character is (unsurprisingly) the most successful overall:

What we all want to know, of course, is which character is worth the most? On that, the privately held Lucasfilm is coy. “Darth Vader is one of the most popular Star Wars characters across most product categories,” a Lucasfilm spokes-Wookiee says. “Your instincts are correct.”

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...er-still-no-return-jedi-residuals-actor.shtml

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Except there aren't even rumors that he is in VII.

as of april 28th,2014, it was still all rumor/conjecture that the original SW cast would be in EP 7

before that, everything was of the same calibre as this Christensen story

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Flashback opportunity?

In the trailers we hear Luke taking about how the force is strong in his family- "in me, my sister, in my father..." excellent opp for a flashback of Anakin pre Darth and after, to appear

and/or, it could be Kylo Ren talking about his hero--another flashback opp.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This close to release it would already be known, especially as filming wrapped a while ago. Principal and second unit shooting were done by last November. Seeing as this rumor for VIII did not arise until a few weeks ago it's pretty clear - he isn't in VII. Post production wrapped two months ago.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This close to release it would already be known, especially as filming wrapped a while ago. Principal and second unit shooting were done by last November. Seeing as this rumor for VIII did not arise until a few weeks ago it's pretty clear - he isn't in VII. Post production wrapped two months ago.

oh,yeah,, didn't say that the rumor was for christensen to be in ep 7

but that, at this time frame in the production of ep 7, it was still rumor that the original cast would be in ep 7--so at this point for ep 8, it will be nothing but rumor for quite some time