Guardians of the Galaxy - Looks like it could be fun

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
One would think that a Superhero movie requires superheroes. None of our heroes really have super powers per se - the closest is Quill's limited ability to hold an infinity stone. By comparison Ronon is far more powerful as an individual - they beat him more through a combination of wits and luck than anything else.

The punisher is a marvel superhero, but he has no superpowers.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
BTW, can anyone explain why they referenced Howard the Duck in the movie? :daniel_new004:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes, Howard the Duck was referenced mostly for laughs. James Gunn has something of a twisted sense of humor as the article noted.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Mr. Rac is interested in this one... :rolleyes:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Mr. Rac is interested in this one... :rolleyes:

If you go into it just expecting to have fun then you will like it. The good thing is this movie doesn't pretend to be anything other than an adventure with interesting, funny characters. That's its charm and why it has been so successful. (Groot is hilarious btw.)

But if you want something "deeper" you can always pick up SGU on DVD. ;)

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Exactly. It's FUN (amazing that a recent movie can actually just be fun). It has a sense of humor that sometimes is a bit twisted and they succeed in getting you to care about the characters.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG, this was a great movie! So much fun, I was grinning through the entire movie. PERFECT. :) Im just now seeing it for the first time (at home). I got an excellent BluRay quality copy, and it sounds and looks awesome. What great action, a good story, good characters, lots of humor and great special effects. Perfect popcorn movie.

kclkdpayub7roood8nml.gif

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Welcome to the club! THIS was the best picture of 2014!

I did a longer review somewhere upthread, but basically it is impressive. The SFX are really well done with a lot of practical effects instead of CGI (the Kyln for example is a physical set), sound story and a slightly twisted sense of humor all set the stage for excellently realized characters both good guys and villains. What's really impressive is James Gunn (Writer/Director) actually gets us to care about these characters. Guardians is his first "big movie" but his previous films (a couple of independent films titled Slither and Super) displayed a lot of the same characteristics.

And, of course, there is that soundtrack! The whole thing is set to a well chosen set of 70s and 80s music that actually is worked into the plot and is part of understanding the character of Peter Quill.

Referring to another thread, watching something like this in comparison to Star Trek Into Darkness makes Star Trek Into Darkness look REALLY bad. This cost less to make, looks better and is so much better a movie it isn't funny.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Welcome to the club! THIS was the best picture of 2014!

I did a longer review somewhere upthread, but basically it is impressive. The SFX are really well done with a lot of practical effects instead of CGI (the Kyln for example is a physical set), sound story and a slightly twisted sense of humor all set the stage for excellently realized characters both good guys and villains. What's really impressive is James Gunn (Writer/Director) actually gets us to care about these characters. Guardians is his first "big movie" but his previous films (a couple of independent films titled Slither and Super) displayed a lot of the same characteristics.

And, of course, there is that soundtrack! The whole thing is set to a well chosen set of 70s and 80s music that actually is worked into the plot and is part of understanding the character of Peter Quill.

Referring to another thread, watching something like this in comparison to Star Trek Into Darkness makes Star Trek Into Darkness look REALLY bad. This cost less to make, looks better and is so much better a movie it isn't funny.

This movie I could watch over and over, and I could watch dozens of movies with these characters. :) NOW I know why you chose your avatar, and why the baby groot was in the movie (at the end). I thought Zoe Saldana did way better as a green chick in this movie than she did in anything I have seen her in except maybe Avatar/ But I dont count that because she was CGI as a Na'vi.

The main thing about this movie I love is that it does not try to take itself so seriously.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep. I loved the character of Rocket Raccoon.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Here is the gag version of the "ending":

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member