Guardians of the Galaxy - Looks like it could be fun

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Huh? There was a good deal of adventure in it.

The ending made sense. As soon as The Collector described how an Infinity Stone behaved and especially when his slave touched it and was destroyed I knew Quill at some point would grab the stone. Throw in that we knew from the start of the film that his father had hired the Ravagers to retrieve him from Earth and we thus knew he wasn't 100% human. So the ending where he was able to survive touching the stone was set up in the plot.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Huh? There was a good deal of adventure in it.

The ending made sense. As soon as The Collector described how an Infinity Stone behaved and especially when his slave touched it and was destroyed I knew Quill at some point would grab the stone. Throw in that we knew from the start of the film that his father had hired the Ravagers to retrieve him from Earth and we thus knew he wasn't 100% human. So the ending where he was able to survive touching the stone was set up in the plot.

I'll have to watch it again as I missed the fact that they tell you the dad is an alien . I just thought it was a random ubduction . Guess I was tuning out to the tunes and gettin mellowwwww

:) :) :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
This is nothing like Madagascar - it is not targeted at kids. Nor is it a comedy. In fact on a certain level it isn't even a superhero film. If anything, it feels like a sort of fusion of Star Wars and Firefly with a higher humor quotient but not to the point where the whole thing is a comedy. What it is is FUN.
To me it felt like a drag to watch. Like I said, I didn't quite connect with characters or bothered to care what was going on because it was boring and wasn't fun. We also watched this without knowing what this was about well beforehand. If you enjoyed it, that's great , but it wasn't for us.

B

Backstep

It's not Marvel's best known franchise but it is one of the cornerstones of the whole Marvel universe. And the movie is a blast and so far a huge hit. It's actually tracking ahead of where Transformers: Age of Extinction was at the same point in its release cycle.

All the past movies shown Infinity stones, Guardians was the first movie to come out and say this, plus show the true power of the stones and why they need to be hidden.

[spoilers]only two stones left to be found and the gauntlet[/spoilers]

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep.

Guardians came out and explained what they are. And Rocket's reactions were priceless! It also added more detail to Thanos, introduced Nebula, introduced Celestials, tied Thor: The Dark World and The Avengers properly together and so on.

James Gunn wrote a very clever script that did a LOT of work for the Marvel-verse whilst still being an extremely fun movie.

B

Backstep

Will be interesting to see how the dead Kree from AoS will tie into the movies.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Good question. It does bring the power of the Kree into sharper focus. Was Ronon atypical in being able to hold (albeit for only a few seconds) an Infinity Stone or are all Kree that powerful in the movie universe? Plus we now know that Quill has a limited ability to control an Infinity Stone, something which before took a special device (Gauntlet, Loki's staff, Ronon's weapon).

B

Backstep

Ronon could be the same as Quill, have the proper blood line to hold the stones for a limited time. I'm waiting to see if or how much AoS may have on Avengers 3 this may.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ronon kicks arse, nuff said............

Ronon dex.png

Care to argue? :D

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Something tells me that in a 1-1 fight Ronon the Accuser would literally tear Ronon Dex apart. One is a human albeit a very tough human and the other is a Kree with some Celestial blood in his heritage - add to that the armor he always wears and you're looking at a being (in universe) who totally outclasses all his opponents except for beings like Thanos and perhaps asgardians like Thor. Quill only defeated him through wit and that Quill likewise can control an infinity stone for a limited time.

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Something tells me that in a 1-1 fight Ronon the Accuser would literally tear Ronon Dex apart. One is a human albeit a very tough human and the other is a Kree with some Celestial blood in his heritage - add to that the armor he always wears and you're looking at a being (in universe) who totally outclasses all his opponents except for beings like Thanos and perhaps asgardians like Thor. Quill only defeated him through wit and that Quill likewise can control an infinity stone for a limited time.

Geez dude, it was a joke.
Why so serious??

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Dunno if anyone ever did that one like the Morpheus versus Preston one I linked above. Sounds fun.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Just got GotG from Netflix so I'll be watching it this weekend. :encouragement:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Okay I watched GotG and thought it was quite good. :encouragement:

I don't really have any criticisms as I was simply expecting a good, fun romp and that's exactly what I got. One thing I liked was that the characters are edgier than the other Marvel superheroes. It made them more relatable on an 'everyman' level if that makes sense.

BTW, I didn't recognize Karen Gillan at all until the end credits, and that actually turned out to be a good thing. She did a good job of playing that character.

In short, they did a good job of casting this whole movie, from Bradley Cooper as "Rocket" to Chris Pratt as "Peter Quill". The entire thing was well done. I'm glad it was so successful because the sequels are actually something I'd like to see.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Best thing about GotG.............

It's not the Marvel film you are looking for.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Best thing about GotG.............

It's not the Marvel film you are looking for.

I like the Jedi allusion :)

Interestingly, if it didn't have the Marvel title sequence it would be hard to identify this as a Marvel universe film right off. It doesn't follow the conventions the other films do and in fact isn't really a superhero film. If anything, it is sort of like taking the OT Star Wars and Firefly and putting them in a blender. Plus most of the Marvel films are sorta dark and this one is just out and out fun. Well written fun with characters you actually wind up caring about.

What's also interesting is that James Gunn (Director and writer) doesn't have a background in "big movies". He has done indie stuff before (Super, Slither) and this is his first big production. And...it feels like a James Gunn movie down to having a lot of his regulars in it (Michael Rooker, John C Reilly, Peter Serafinowicz, Nathan Fillon). Disney and Marvel took a BIG chance handing 170 million to a relatively unknown indie filmmaker and it paid off big time.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I like the Jedi allusion :)
:D :P
Interestingly, if it didn't have the Marvel title sequence it would be hard to identify this as a Marvel universe film right off. It doesn't follow the conventions the other films do and in fact isn't really a superhero film.
Weeellll................
It really IS a superhero film, just not one where the hero's are "too cool for school", The Avengers was similar, but because we had the background movies, we just assumed that the avengers would get along in the end. GotG sorta had to develop that feeling in the space of the movie, and tell a decent story as well which makes it a superior story in my books. (not better, not more enjoyable, just a superior story in terms of timing, and dealing with things)

If anything, it is sort of like taking the OT Star Wars and Firefly and putting them in a blender. Plus most of the Marvel films are sorta dark and this one is just out and out fun. Well written fun with characters you actually wind up caring about.
Really??
I thought this was darker in tone than most of the others, just presented as fun.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
One would think that a Superhero movie requires superheroes. None of our heroes really have super powers per se - the closest is Quill's limited ability to hold an infinity stone. By comparison Ronon is far more powerful as an individual - they beat him more through a combination of wits and luck than anything else.