Guardians of the Galaxy - Looks like it could be fun

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Kid-rated?

Plenty of profanity in this one. Captain America it ain't.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Spongebob has plenty of adult humor in it.

Mr Krabs owns the Krusty Krab in Bikini Bottom.

Here's a balloon Spongebob is blowing:

download.jpg

Screenshot from 2014-08-14 17:19:43.png

Here is a blatantly obvious one:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's not Marvel's best known franchise but it is one of the cornerstones of the whole Marvel universe. And the movie is a blast and so far a huge hit. It's actually tracking ahead of where Transformers: Age of Extinction was at the same point in its release cycle.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's not Marvel's best known franchise but it is one of the cornerstones of the whole Marvel universe. And the movie is a blast and so far a huge hit. It's actually tracking ahead of where Transformers: Age of Extinction was at the same point in its release cycle.

I just wish I could find something redeeming about the Bay Transformers, but I cant. :( The cartoons were cool though. GOTG looks appealing to me. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oh, trust me, I despise Transformers Age of Extinction. But it is the biggest box-office film this year so far and Guardians at this point is slightly ahead of its pace.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Now at 418 million with its biggest overseas markets not yet in play (China and pretty much all of Asia) I think this has a legit shot at biggest grossing film of the year. Not bad for a movie with no real prior name recognition to ride on - yes Disney's promotional campaign has been very well conceived but a lot of it is the film is riding word of mouth too, as evidenced by it having legs and not dropping off as much from opening weekend as usually seen.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And it has officially assumed the position of biggest domestic box-office of the year. It's at 500 million and still is yet to open in China, Japan, Germany and Italy. Given the relative obscurity of the brand (based on a lesser known Marvel comic) and that a lot of the marketing has been word of mouth it is a major surprise success.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Now at 753 million. At this pace it should finish the #1 domestic and #2 global boxoffice for the year (Transformers was #1 global due to crazy Chinese boxoffice - go figure).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Guardians got released yesterday to streaming video, with BluRay coming in early December.

I got the Amazon HD Instant Video and it looks glorious. It also has extras at the end (like the "making of" special).

Getting to see it again confirmed to me my initial review - this is a keeper. It is thoroughly entertaining and utterly rewatchable. It was like a rediscovery of the idea that movies should be fun. While I like Godzilla and liked Rise of the Planet of the Apes and X-Men Days of Future Past, this is the best picture of the year in my mind.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Ehhh. Tried to hard to be funny and wound up nitpicking.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Guardians got released yesterday to streaming video, with BluRay coming in early December.

I got the Amazon HD Instant Video and it looks glorious. It also has extras at the end (like the "making of" special).

Getting to see it again confirmed to me my initial review - this is a keeper. It is thoroughly entertaining and utterly rewatchable. It was like a rediscovery of the idea that movies should be fun. While I like Godzilla and liked Rise of the Planet of the Apes and X-Men Days of Future Past, this is the best picture of the year in my mind.
Redbone's "Come & Get Your Love" will never be the same for me again.

ROTFLMMFAOPIMP!!!!!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Or "Cherry Bomb"...or "Hooked on a Feeling" and so on. The thinking behind the soundtrack was genius.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Or "Cherry Bomb"...or "Hooked on a Feeling" and so on. The thinking behind the soundtrack was genius.
the soundtrack was one of the best I have ever heard for a movie. The bonus material gave a lot of insight into why things were done as they were.

I've already rewatched it more than once. LOL

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Just finished watching it for the second time . Absolute hoot . Loved it . The music rocked this movie .

:) :) :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I like comedy movies like Madagascar, but this one I couldn't watch all of it... It was trying to be funny, but I didn't quite connect to it. I quit 60% of the way through, just like the the new transformers. Sorry guys, didn't like this one it. The new wolverine was just as bad if not worse...

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This is nothing like Madagascar - it is not targeted at kids. Nor is it a comedy. In fact on a certain level it isn't even a superhero film. If anything, it feels like a sort of fusion of Star Wars and Firefly with a higher humor quotient but not to the point where the whole thing is a comedy. What it is is FUN.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
The ending became far fetched for me . I would have liked a bit of adventure in the film though