General Con News Thread

Fizz

GateFans Noob
The actors could have turned a lot of this round imo. They could have bigged up the previous shows and built up a rapport with the older fanbase. They instead chose to follow tptb lead and distance themself instead. Even David Blue said sgu was the best scifi show in the last five years (in its first year) there bye saying sgu is better than sga.

I was thinking that. In some respects I don't blame the actors for what they said, especially before the show premiered. I doubt most really had any idea what SG was and certainly weren't aware of the controversies re: SGA and just did what they were told by their bosses. Making the actors into whiny defensive and/or smug bitchy (before the premiere) mode was really TPTBs doing, if they were that rude and nasty in public about previous shows and actors what must they have been like to their preciously little new baby actors in telling them how great this show was?

But yes, it could have been so much better if we saw all the shows together having fun and those actors could have built up bases based on "oh yeah they had a good sense of humor in the thing with JFlan, cool". But no. The one time a joint panel was held Malozzi wrecked what was a mostly postive atmosphere with his lying hypocritical attack on fans based on a completely false story. Bang goes any more joint panels and the best chance at winning back some good will.

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
So no one here is going on Sun? I'll have to ask someone else for the turnout on Sun then..

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have to work in the evening that day

So no one here is going on Sun? I'll have to ask someone else for the turnout on Sun then..

I would love to give my custom made SGU°S shirt to somebody, but perhaps I can just buy day tickets? I need to leave the Con in order to be in Long Beach by 7:00pm. But I love about 20-30 minutes from where the Con is being held.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

The only SGU actor I didn't like on a personal level is BJS. All other SGU actors have as far as I know never insulted people, who don't like SGU. Sure I don't agree with everything, which the other SGU actors have said in interviews. I don't think that SGU is "realistic" and "mature" for example. I also don't really mind, that David Blue said that SGU is the best science fiction show of the last five years. I think it is natural that he likes his own science fiction show more than others. Overall that actors are praising their own show is natural and expected from them.

But it is different when TPTB say that SGU is better than SG1/SGA and that the SGU actors are better than the actors from the other shows. That is like a mother with three children, who says that she loves her youngest child much more than her two older children. It may be true, but a nice and good mother should never say this openly! And if she says it, she shouldn't be surprised, that people think she is a bad mother!

I just don't understand, why TPTB have to put down SG1/SGA and its fans all the time, when they promote SGU. They should stop saying negative things about their former shows. They can easily promote SGU without saying diminishing things in regards to SG1/SGA and their fans.

It's all about politics - politicians do it during election time in their campaigns by beating down the other guy saying what is so shit about the opposition but all the while saying nothing about what makes themselve's so damn awesome (in SGU's case........ nothing).

Exile

GateFans Noob
It's all about politics - politicians do it during election time in their campaigns by beating down the other guy saying what is so shit about the opposition but all the while saying nothing about what makes themselve's so damn awesome (in SGU's case........ nothing).

But the thing is... this isn't "the other guy", this is their own previous work they're now crapping on! Politicians don't usually do this, do they? They wrote the bloody things they now seem ashamed of... and earned plenty money from it for years!

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Team SGU•S

Have you people got it together for tomorrow yet? We'll be expecting you to do your homework for the site. :rononwhistle:

Thought the picture prices were a laugh. I'd expect to cop a real good feel of Chloe for those sort of bucks. Morena's probably a better deal. :icon_redface: edit - I meant feel.

MICHAEL SHANKS $50 (Saturday)
JOE FLANIGAN $50 (Saturday)
ELYSE LEVESQUE $45 (Sunday)
DAN SHEA $40 (all three days)
CHRISTOPHER HEYERDAHL $40 (Friday)
BRIAN SMITH $40 (Sunday)
STEVE BACIC $40 (Friday)
ANDEE FRIZZELL: $40 (Friday & Saturday)
MORENA BACCARIN: $45 (Sunday)

Exile

GateFans Noob
Thought the picture prices were a laugh.

Funny how the SGU STARS are worth no more than SG-1/SGA recurring MINOR characters and villains!

OK, I realize the differences in price aren't THAT big... but it just felt good to say! :p They've been trying to put themselves above the others ( well, BJS has ) so it's good to have it put in perspective. ( As if the 1/3 filled rooms haven't already. )

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Funny how the SGU STARS are worth no more than SG-1/SGA recurring MINOR characters and villains!

OK, I realize the differences in price aren't THAT big... but it just felt good to say! :p They've been trying to put themselves above the others ( well, BJS has ) so it's good to have it put in perspective. ( As if the 1/3 filled rooms haven't already. )
My daughter and I are still talking about going today (Friday). We're interested in seeing Christopher Heyerdahl in particular -- but she doesn't get off work until OhWhoTheHellKnows o'clock today.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

But the thing is... this isn't "the other guy", this is their own previous work they're now crapping on! Politicians don't usually do this, do they? They wrote the bloody things they now seem ashamed of... and earned plenty money from it for years!

Well to be fair, politicians do seem to say one thing in a manifesto & then proceed to do completely the opposite (lie) so why should the same principle not apply to arsehole writers & producers of a TV show on-a-never-ending-quest-to-save-their-egos/careers/mid-life crisiseseseses etc?!

Exile

GateFans Noob
Well to be fair, politicians do seem to say one thing in a manifesto & then proceed to do completely the opposite (lie) so why should the same principle not apply to arsehole writers & producers of a TV show on-a-never-ending-quest-to-save-their-egos/careers/mid-life crisiseseseses etc?!

Yes, that's true, so in that respect TPTB have been acting just like politicians do. But TPTB have taken it one step further. Have you ever heard a politician say "this law I passed two years ago was stupid, the people who supported me in creating it aren't as competent as the ones I work with now, and the people who agreed with this law are stupid and shallow"? I'm not particularly into politics, so maybe it has happened.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Yes, that's true, so in that respect TPTB have been acting just like politicians do. But TPTB have taken it one step further. Have you ever heard a politician say "this law I passed two years ago was stupid, the people who supported me in creating it aren't as competent as the ones I work with now, and the people who agreed with this law are stupid and shallow"? I'm not particularly into politics, so maybe it has happened.

I'm not into the particulars of it myself. However, I am entirely aware that, for the entire term of their government, the Labour Party created a new law for every single day of their term of administration & the only times such laws are ever undone (as they are being overdone so now) are due to the opposition party - the opposition party in this case being ourselve's/the one's with a subjective standpoint which just happens to be the polar opposite to that of the douchebag-IC.

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
I would love to give my custom made SGU°S shirt to somebody, but perhaps I can just buy day tickets? I need to leave the Con in order to be in Long Beach by 7:00pm. But I love about 20-30 minutes from where the Con is being held.
The general admission for sun is $25. BJS is the last to go. The convention ends mainly at 4:30 for Sunday. Are you going tomorrow?

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
I recalled someone on our forums went this year so I'm sure you'll have company

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
I thought about it last year but it's a disjointed affair. They shape it around whoever they can hire to appear by the looks of it. The one in August? downtown at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre appears to be the better show. That's also a mix of whoever they can get to come here to shop.

Nani

GateFans Noob
I thought about it last year but it's a disjointed affair. They shape it around whoever they can hire to appear by the looks of it. The one in August? downtown at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre appears to be the better show. That's also a mix of whoever they can get to come here to shop.

By "the one in August", do you mean the FanExpo? I've been to that one this year. It's more like a ComicCon, but with fewer panels ;) I've never been to the Polaris one & from the looks of it, it's probably organised more like ShoreLeave, or so I hope. I guess I'll find out in July.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Never been to one. I know that the downtown one received press coverage where the other did not. There was a good one at the Constellation by the airport but that folded years ago I think.