Future of Jobs

heisenberg

Earl Grey
This is definitely a generational thing, and Apple is taking full advantage of it when it comes to young people. In fact their latest commercial is proof of this. It features a snotty post-millenial troll as their (mindless) target demographic.

BTW, people hate this commercial because the girl in it is such a little shit. The comments have been disabled no doubt because people hate her so much when she says "What's a computer?" My God, what a smug little brat. If that commercial had been at all accurate the neighbor would have climbed over the fence and smacked the shit out of that little turd.

These annoying ads have been around for decades. I am not sure what your point is?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Clearly, I know how it works better than you do. :) Look at the bolded red statement. Blindly "buying stuff" is what this millennial generation is doing (for the most part). The economy (in it's pure form) is based upon supply and demand. There has to be a demand in order for anyone to want to buy or trade for commodities. If there is very little beef and lots of people want it, the usually traded amount can double or triple, and that is inflation. Flood the market with too much beef then demand fades and the value drops. That is how it works.

Now, the Millennials have changed the order from supply and demand to demand and supply. The corporations MANUFACTURE the demand for them, and sales drive the supply requirement. Very efficient for business, very sad and disappointing to the observers of this paradigm shift in the consumer base. All a company like Apple has to do is to announce a new product, and that will create the demand (and manufacture an initial run of units). Then, they see if the product is selling. If the demand is high, then the supply is increased. Very simple and unremarkable for a company. It's the Apple BUYERS who are extraordinary. They will line up and wait for a day in line, go to all their friends and tell them about the product, then when they acquire it they will essentially act as salespeople to increase demand even more. And these people are usually millennials. They are also the ones who go on Instagram and Snapchat and basically act as agents of the corporate system without even realizing it. And it is not even the best product in it's class or market segment!

C'mon, man. :) Facebook is the EPITOME of the Millennial generation. Zuckerberg has created an empire on the herd-like behaviors of an entire generation worldwide, just like Apple did. Over a billion people who go on his website every day to basically graze and chew cud, just like livestock. Nobody on Facebook is creating anything, they are simply working for Facebook and talking about the different products, places and politics of their lives. Two individuals is hardly a vote of confidence in a generation already more than a billion strong.

Foundation science. That is what the Millennials are missing.
Here you are again attacking an age group. Did you even read what age group apple targets? hint hint it's above 35 which are not Mellennial. I don't know where you read this stereotype from. Consumption is what we do. Get used to it. People have desires/needs and wants but that doesn't mean you take those freedom away from people. I agree about facebook being bad socially, but they are no different than forums like this where there is often a lot of hostility, although, I tend to stay away from any friction because nothing good comes out of it. While facebook has been viewed as a way it has negatively impacted society, there are some good things that did come from facebook, such as linking up with family/friends you haven't seen in a while, or opening up your business network to the world. Facebook is like the internet. There are some good, bad and the down right ugly, but you don't see us banning the internet. It's here to stay. It's up to the individual whether they want to be an ass on the internet or do they want to make something out of facebook so they can get the most out of it.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
#1. The word is "moot", not "mute". (Apologies for being a spelling Nazi.)

#2. Yes, it's only natural for creators of tech devices and digital data content to be young since they come from the generation that uses technology and digital data the most. Of course a few of them are going to take advantage of their familiarity with the products to become producers in the industry. But for every producer like Zuckerberg there is literally a billion Millenial/post-Millenial consumers.

The bottom line is that young people today are consumers. They have been raised in a culture of consumption. Nearly every aspect of their lives involves a financial transaction where they are the ones paying out. Other than working for a mediocre corporate paycheck each week you won't find them producing anything of substance. You won't find Millenials building their own homes and/or doing home maintenance and repairs with their own hands. You won't find Millenials making their own meals with their own hands. You won't find Millenials doing their own car maintenance with their own hands. You will rarely find Millenials making their own coffee at home. Hell, you actually have Millenials who pay other people to play video games for them so they can level up without having to do the work. They even pay people to wait in line for them at events like Apple product launches. (How lame is that? :rolleye0014:)

Millenials are debt-heavy because they are primarily consumers. That is Economics #101.

Of course there are a producers who are Millenial age, but they are far outweighed in the population by consumers of the same age. That's just a fact of reality.
You don't rack up debt from buying iphones. You rack up debt from Rent/Mortgage and your tuition fees from universities which were free and open to anyone until it turned into a competition and there were more people on this planet. Everyone is a consumer. Whether it be meeting our essential needs/desires and wants. Most Millennials can't afford a home because of how ridiculously expensive property have become and besides, Mellennials don't like to stay in one spot,like a job. I don't know how the previous generation managed to stay in a job for 10+ years and then whinge that they can't find a job anymore. They seem to have just done one thing and one thing only without getting out of their comfort zone. I am not sure where you are getting your sterotypes from either but I don't know which blithering idiot would pay others to play. I could see a few do that, but these types of people exists in all age groups who do these sorts of irrational things. Infact, the largest online store amazon has an average age of 37
https://nypost.com/2017/08/19/guess-how-old-the-average-amazon-customer-is/
Wallmart is 50 and above
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/meet-the-average-wal-mart-shopper-2014-9?r=US&IR=T
Average age of Home Depot 50 and above
http://www.floordaily.net/flooring-news/average-lowe39s-and-home-depot-customer-similar
The only one that does fit your Mellannial is target
https://www.pymnts.com/news/retail/2016/average-target-shopper-customer-demographics/

What does this all mean? It means that everyone is guilty of turning the country into a shopping mall and everyone is a consumer.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here you are again attacking an age group. Did you even read what age group apple targets? hint hint it's above 35 which are not Mellennial.

You attacked my knowledge of economics without exploring first. I am obviously not exactly clueless about how it works. I do know that the VAST majority of all Apple products are bought by Millennials (24 >). I know that because I always go the extra step and do research first. Here is how it breaks down:

https://infoscout.co/brand/apple

Capture.PNG

So, can you show me where I can confirm that Apple "targets people above 35"? Does it really matter who they target? I am looking at who is ACTUALLY buying Apple, and it's Millennials.

I don't know where you read this stereotype from. Consumption is what we do. Get used to it. People have desires/needs and wants but that doesn't mean you take those freedom away from people. I agree about facebook being bad socially, but they are no different than forums like this where there is often a lot of hostility, although, I tend to stay away from any friction because nothing good comes out of it. While facebook has been viewed as a way it has negatively impacted society, there are some good things that did come from facebook, such as linking up with family/friends you haven't seen in a while, or opening up your business network to the world. Facebook is like the internet.

It isn't really a stereotype. It's simple demographics and socio-economics. I can listen to somebody tell me how they feel things should be, but I will be busy looking at the metrics and observing what is actually happening in real life. The red bolded concerns me... When AOL first came out, that is what they wanted too. They created a walled garden full of "sites" which were actually just subdomains living within AOL's garden. For many years, AOL users never knew they were not on the actual internet. They had a little ugly yellow button on the toolbar that said simply "WWW". Facebook is NOT the internet. I manage 100% of my internet presence without Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, or Latestfad.com (:P). However, I fully accept the fact that for some people, the only reason to be on the internet is for Facebook.

There are some good, bad and the down right ugly, but you don't see us banning the internet. It's here to stay. It's up to the individual whether they want to be an ass on the internet or do they want to make something out of facebook so they can get the most out of it.

I agree with you there. My problem with social media is that it is still just corporate media, only the users themselves give those networks their value. I mean, how nice is it that not only do they not have to herd the sheep with advertising, they can make the sheep WANT to flock by giving them the illusion of not being confined or part of somebody's gathered flock.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
#1. The word is "moot", not "mute". (Apologies for being a spelling Nazi.)

#2. Yes, it's only natural for creators of tech devices and digital data content to be young since they come from the generation that uses technology and digital data the most. Of course a few of them are going to take advantage of their familiarity with the products to become producers in the industry. But for every producer like Zuckerberg there is literally a billion Millenial/post-Millenial consumers.

The bottom line is that young people today are consumers. They have been raised in a culture of consumption. Nearly every aspect of their lives involves a financial transaction where they are the ones paying out. Other than working for a mediocre corporate paycheck each week you won't find them producing anything of substance. You won't find Millenials building their own homes and/or doing home maintenance and repairs with their own hands. You won't find Millenials making their own meals with their own hands. You won't find Millenials doing their own car maintenance with their own hands. You will rarely find Millenials making their own coffee at home. Hell, you actually have Millenials who pay other people to play video games for them so they can level up without having to do the work. They even pay people to wait in line for them at events like Apple product launches. (How lame is that? :rolleye0014:)

Millenials are debt-heavy because they are primarily consumers. That is Economics #101.

Of course there are a producers who are Millenial age, but they are far outweighed in the population by consumers of the same age. That's just a fact of reality.

This comment really covers it all! In all fairness, it isn't the just Millennials who are the reason for their consumerism. It's the corporations in collusion with lobbyists in Washington creating newer and newer ways to monetize things and newer financial "products" (and relaxation of regulation). The grooming of consumers begins in schools. Cafeterias are given free Coke or Pepsi vending machines (never both, because the companies are rivals). They are also given subsidies in exchange for serving their products or displaying their brands. McDonalds even does it (yes, in the schools). Once those kids move on, they are halfway programmed already because all their friends have inspired or pressured them to buy certain clothes, certain smartphones and other tech, and to watch certain TV shows or see certain movies. ALL of them laden with commercials.

Us Boomers may not have been the best parents to these Millennials, with both parents working, those kids were left at home with TV, video games, fast food and ESPECIALLY commercials. Commercials create consumers. That is why they exist. That is also why I have zero tolerance for them. If I want something, I will research several makers of the item and pick the one with the best price to quality ratio. I am just not willing to take in hours of what amounts to TV SPAM in the form of commercials for any reason at all.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This sums it up:

corporate.jpg

This comment really covers it all! In all fairness, it isn't the just Millennials who are the reason for their consumerism. It's the corporations in collusion with lobbyists in Washington creating newer and newer ways to monetize things and newer financial "products" (and relaxation of regulation). The grooming of consumers begins in schools. Cafeterias are given free Coke or Pepsi vending machines (never both, because the companies are rivals). They are also given subsidies in exchange for serving their products or displaying their brands. McDonalds even does it (yes, in the schools). Once those kids move on, they are halfway programmed already because all their friends have inspired or pressured them to buy certain clothes, certain smartphones and other tech, and to watch certain TV shows or see certain movies. ALL of them laden with commercials.

Us Boomers may not have been the best parents to these Millennials, with both parents working, those kids were left at home with TV, video games, and fast food and ESPECIALLY commercials. Commercials create consumers. That is why they exist. That is also why I have zero tolerance for them. If I want something, I will research several makers of the item and pick the one with the best price to quality ratio. I am just not willing to take in hours of what amounts to TV SPAM in the form of commercials for any reason at all.

You're right, this shit has even made its way into the school system. None of these kids today know that they are the target of countless daily corporate algorithms designed to get them to "join the tribe". Advertising is literally a science nowadays. I'm not kidding, it really is. Even the Apple commercial I posted with the annoying kid was designed to do exactly what it's doing -- getting people talking about Apple. It doesn't matter that everyone hates that kid and wants her euthanized. All that matters is that people are talking about Apple. Even if the talk is negative it is a net positive in the long run, odd as that sounds.

And the Millenial/post-Millenial generation are the first to be fully subsumed into corporate culture. Other generations still had some autonomy but these kids today, they are screwed and they don't even know it.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You don't rack up debt from buying iphones. You rack up debt from Rent/Mortgage and your tuition fees from universities which were free and open to anyone until it turned into a competition and there were more people on this planet. Everyone is a consumer. Whether it be meeting our essential needs/desires and wants. Most Millennials can't afford a home because of how ridiculously expensive property have become and besides, Mellennials don't like to stay in one spot,like a job. I don't know how the previous generation managed to stay in a job for 10+ years and then whinge that they can't find a job anymore. They seem to have just done one thing and one thing only without getting out of their comfort zone. I am not sure where you are getting your sterotypes from either but I don't know which blithering idiot would pay others to play. I could see a few do that, but these types of people exists in all age groups who do these sorts of irrational things. Infact, the largest online store amazon has an average age of 37
https://nypost.com/2017/08/19/guess-how-old-the-average-amazon-customer-is/
Wallmart is 50 and above
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/meet-the-average-wal-mart-shopper-2014-9?r=US&IR=T
Average age of Home Depot 50 and above
http://www.floordaily.net/flooring-news/average-lowe39s-and-home-depot-customer-similar
The only one that does fit your Mellannial is target
https://www.pymnts.com/news/retail/2016/average-target-shopper-customer-demographics/

What does this all mean? It means that everyone is guilty of turning the country into a shopping mall and everyone is a consumer.

Well, as you pointed out before, ALL Americans are consumers in one way or another. Even the homeless and unemployed. But that is a result of capitalism, not manipulation. Somebody buying ANY Apple product is buying it for reasons other than the sophistication or build quality of the phone, because Apple does not make the most powerful, or best built, or have the most advanced or most powerful camera. What is DOES have is that coveted Millennial rune of an Apple on it. They value it and the products and services attached to it because of marketing magic and nothing else. I wouldn't always be dragging Apple if they weren't so unabashedly dishonest and did not obfuscate the facts. Saying that the new iPhone X is the "fastest iPhone ever made" is not the same as it being the fastest smartphone ever made. An Apple product being "75% more powerful than iPhone 6" means nothing really. No Apple product is the best in it's class. And it isn't just Apple, it's Toyota's Prius, Whole Foods and soy products too.

Consumers of groceries, gas, household goods and services do not count as sheep.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
You attacked my knowledge of economics without exploring first. I am obviously not exactly clueless about how it works. I do know that the VAST majority of all Apple products are bought by Millennials (24 >). I know that because I always go the extra step and do research first. Here is how it breaks down:

https://infoscout.co/brand/apple

View attachment 33820
So, can you show me where I can confirm that Apple "targets people above 35"? Does it really matter who they target? I am looking at who is ACTUALLY buying Apple, and it's Millennials.

It isn't really a stereotype. It's simple demographics and socio-economics. I can listen to somebody tell me how they feel things should be, but I will be busy looking at the metrics and observing what is actually happening in real life. The red bolded concerns me... When AOL first came out, that is what they wanted too. They created a walled garden full of "sites" which were actually just subdomains living within AOL's garden. For many years, AOL users never knew they were not on the actual internet. They had a little ugly yellow button on the toolbar that said simply "WWW". Facebook is NOT the internet. I manage 100% of my internet presence without Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, or Latestfad.com (:P). However, I fully accept the fact that for some people, the only reason to be on the internet is for Facebook.

I agree with you there. My problem with social media is that it is still just corporate media, only the users themselves give those networks their value. I mean, how nice is it that not only do they not have to herd the sheep with advertising, they can make the sheep WANT to flock by giving them the illusion of not being confined or part of somebody's gathered flock.
I guess there is conflicting datasets from my sources to yours but regardless of who it is, we are all guilty of buying bullshit, including me. We all have fallen traps to buying shit we don't need with the money we don't have. I am doing some serious selling of items on ebay myself to get back the money I wasted on bullshit I didn't need. I want to turn that into money so I can live another day on this planet.

I didn't call facebook the internet. I said it's like the internet. You have your good, your bad and your ugly but the internet and social media really shows people's true colors ;) which is what the internet is but with facebook, it's a little less private and way more transparent where everyone can get a big ass smell of the bullshit you(not you as in you but the person on facebook) have for display .

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I mean really, do you expect people like Anderson Cooper to understand and disseminate economic truths to the hoi polloi? The man is a walking, talking dildo.

with the media, i think it is worse then what you say.

that is, those in front of camera and all those behind it DO KNOW what is going on. they have to for fear from the corp overboss worried that some true idiot on camera will ruin things

look at what has happened to anyone at the big media shops who have gone a little too close to spilling it; gone off the air, shipped off to so weather in the marshal islands, retired to work on their memoirs never published,etc,etc

better to 'read in' the pretty girls and boys to "the plan" so that their so called investigative reporting and commentary doesn't really pull back any of the really really thick wool from over the world's eyes

and that IS NOT conspiracy theory! it is the way of preserving business and the control corp's have

one small little 'taste'

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Personally, I feel more could be done to allow workers some sort of direction. However, I feel as though both public and private industries are creating some meaningless jobs which lead to nothing. I am currently in a place where it leading me to nowhere. I feel more variety could be given to workers like undertaking different tasks on Monday - Friday and less hours at work and more time actually enjoying life rather than being a competition or race.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
More BS infographs about Automation taking over jobs

stealjob_final.jpg

A lot of these are bullshit. The way I see it is that a chemical engineer is more likely to be replaced than an economist even though economist just spew bullshit out of their asses. 90% of the time they get it wrong like analyst do. I mean, how is an economist more likely to be replaced than a chemist or an editor? How is an actor more likely to be replaced than chemical engineer? LOOOL.

https://futurism.com/jobs-extinct-doesnt-mean-we-have-to/

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
How is an actor more likely to be replaced

haven't a lot of actors already signed away their jobs by allowing their digital image to be used and 'green screened in' or whatever it is?

sure they still get paid but i would bet that the royalties for image use in on a progressively lowering scale.

example for ROGUE ONE, how much did carrie fisher and the estate of the guy who played tarkin get for the use of their digital image?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
haven't a lot of actors already signed away their jobs by allowing their digital image to be used and 'green screened in' or whatever it is?

sure they still get paid but i would bet that the royalties for image use in on a progressively lowering scale.

example for ROGUE ONE, how much did carrie fisher and the estate of the guy who played tarkin get for the use of their digital image?
I don't see it happening overnight unless there is one big push which will cause panic/chaos and well unrest. I give it 50-70 years until low end jobs go away.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
These annoying ads have been around for decades. I am not sure what your point is?

The fact that you said that is proof that Apple is grooming their generation of consumers. No, they have not been around for decades. The first iPhone came out only 10 years ago. Apple was not really a "thing" before that (in the mainstream). It was a niche for young artistic types who were into the Apple aesthetic which is why they are still into it today. Apple has never offered the best in class in terms of hardware. But Apple people think the company has been around forever. Like mountains and rivers.

Grooming consumers is not a single act being done by a single corporation, it is a coordinated effort among all of them. The medium is advertising and commercials, music videos, social media and news organizations. Using those things, masses can be influenced and coerced and made fearful or angry or hopeful and patriotic. But it is all the same mind game board. Unless you understand how the rules are set up and what moves you can safely make, you will just be a piece on the board moved around like all the other pieces.