FOUNDATION series.. APPLE TV

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
look, TPTBs are not that clever in the show..... they say they don't have rights to the "ROBOT" series of books, yet say that the one robot in the story is very important

it already seems to me from watching that (And knowing the have gone off-script from the books) "the Robot did it". as in, she causes the events that instigate the Fall that is predicted

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yeah, this thing is a disaster. It has no resemblance to the books outside of the title and is a mess.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And this thing is officially a complete train wreck. Aside from using the name of the books and some character names it is actually a bad attempt at a Game of Thrones rehash. I don't get it - what is so hard about following the plot of the books?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
@Lord Ba'al have you watched this at all?

wondering if there is anyone here ("" hello, hello, hello?... echo..echo..echo.. ") that would want to talk about the show ABSENT any reference to how it is NOT like the books. Discuss the show on its own merits

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I did actually. It is a bad Game of Thrones wannabe. The acting is poor, the writing illogical and it feels like a soap.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
@Lord Ba'al have you watched this at all?

wondering if there is anyone here ("" hello, hello, hello?... echo..echo..echo.. ") that would want to talk about the show ABSENT any reference to how it is NOT like the books. Discuss the show on its own merits
I have not watched the show. I understand this is on Apple TV. That is probably the only streaming service we don't have. :D I would have to resort to alternative means if I wanted to watch this, but we already have so many other things to watch.....

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I have not watched the show. I understand this is on Apple TV. That is probably the only streaming service we don't have. :D I would have to resort to alternative means if I wanted to watch this, but we already have so many other things to watch.....
is APPLE TV available in UK?

i mean, TED LASSO is a APPLE show, so... :)

i had to get a new ROKU tv to even be able to load the APPLE channel on - my old ROKU tv - it wouldn't even show as an option

thats when i realized just HOW long i had the thing :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
SEASON 2 trailer

having read a synopsis of the FOUNDATION series of books, I completely understand why those people do not like this show. One has to be in complete ignorance of the books to enjoy this show as they are so different

In its own way accentuates the HIGH DEMAND for original writers and concept creators of original made for TV/ Streaming CONTENT

got to stop trying to adapt these massive novels for the screen. Again from reading synopsis, I think The Expanse on TV was about as much as any company can get away with without totally butchering the original story

@Joelist @Overmind One @Lord Ba'al

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-icjJozNgQg

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
SEASON 2 trailer

having read a synopsis of the FOUNDATION series of books, I completely understand why those people do not like this show. One has to be in complete ignorance of the books to enjoy this show as they are so different

In its own way accentuates the HIGH DEMAND for original writers and concept creators of original made for TV/ Steaming CONTENT

got to stop trying to adapt these massive novels for the screen. Again from reading synopsis, I think The Expanse on TV was about as much as any company can get away with without totally butchering the original story

@Joelist @Overmind One @Lord Ba'al

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-icjJozNgQg
Yes! Bring on the steaming content! :D

I suppose since I haven't read the books, I might be able to enjoy this show. @Quetesh, put it on the list, please.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I could care less if you watch GOT or not. I have already seen it, and don't need to see again.

I watch several other Apple shows and told you about this one.
I have also seen the After Party and The Morning Show along with a cute animated movie they did called Luck.

Foundation is scifi, GOT is more fantasy and similar to His Dark Materials, except with Dragons and bloodlines, instead of Daomons and evil Lords. They both have tons of magic in their worlds with White Walkers and Witches in GOT, and the Subtle Knife and Witches in HDM.

I also watch Bosch and suggested you try that on Amazon which Yongin recommended as well, but you again, just never responded on that.

All this being said......This show is definitely still on my list. I had just seen the trailer for it again the other day before I saw this thread,, that was why I opted to post on it. If I have no desire to see a show like "See", then I won't most likely post on it.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
This show is absolutely NOTHING like the books. It looks amazing visually, but it isn't Foundation. This damned Hollywood adaptation/remake disease destroys entire legacies!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I also watch Bosch and suggested you try that on Amazon
have you watched BOSCH LEGACY yet?

I do not know why they just didn't continue on with more seasons as is with BOSCH, its the same show, just with a few different characters since he quit the police. I does so, continue on with the same 'long play' story lines, like him trying to solve the murder of that young mexican girl we see him trying in every season

Its on AMAZON PRIME, via their newly acquired FREEVEE network, where of course, everything is free.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
like i said, never read these asimov books, but i get where you are coming from. why i had to stop watching LAST KINGDOM, why I get intense when i watch stuff on history that is so bent away from the actual history-- too much distortion

i did read the wiki on the book series, and i can see that the show is much diff from the books. i don't see how a series could ever contain what the books do? I know things can stay much truer to the original intent and storyline, i dont know why writers of today have to rearrange things so much

i also read where in the later FOUNDATION books written, Asimov 'unified' the Foundation literary 'universe' with that of several other of his works, putting them all into the same future history of Earth/Humanity... how does one make THAT into a tv show?

are any of these TV characters in the books? i see from the book wiki that there are 2 Foundations established by Seldon--could that be where that Rach guy is sending Galle in the escape pod? whatever.... idk, but again, i get what you are saying. if i rad the books, i probably would not even have tuned in at all :)

couple things on the tv bit:

i know asimov did cover anti science in some of the short stories of his i read, is the anti science of Galle's home word shown in the show also in the book?

whatever that case- i see the inclusion of this- mentioned so often "burned the universities, rejected science and math, math is a crime.." to be an intentional mirror of recent real world events. if asimov had this in his books, is this exaggerated in the show due to IRL events?

i see her planet's people as being science deniers and also being 100% "minority (per IRL)" as an issue that I don't know how made it on screen in today's SJW climate! :)

In the books, is there a general suspicion of science by the population of the empire, including the emperor, as shown in the show? to me, the people seem more content to be 'end users' of tech rather then to actually know how to use science and math. not as extreme as Galle's homeworld, but it is there

thanks
I SEE YOU RAC :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
This show is absolutely NOTHING like the books. It looks amazing visually, but it isn't Foundation. This damned Hollywood adaptation/remake disease destroys entire legacies!
I was intrigued at first because I love Asimov ( the fact Mr Rad also holds a PhD is Chemistry is purely coincidental) but after the debacle of I Robot, I am very cautious!
Yes, Lucas appropriated a lot of ideas from Asimov for Star Wars.
Sounds like they condensed hundreds of years - Salvor Hardin post dated Gal Dornick by 200 years and was not a swash buckler at all.
So thanks for the heads up.