FOUNDATION series.. APPLE TV

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
beginning sometime in 2021, the FOUNDATION series

i never read the books, but I know a little of the stories... it looks like at least it will be pretty to look at.

mini doc with trailer

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The original three Foundation books are widely considered the greatest Science Fiction ever written. This looks pretty but my main concern is they will deviate too much from the original stories. They seem to have gender and ethnic swapped one character who in the books was very minor (Gaal Dornick) which is fine but she also sounds dumbed down.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The original three Foundation books are widely considered the greatest Science Fiction ever written. This looks pretty but my main concern is they will deviate too much from the original stories. They seem to have gender and ethnic swapped one character who in the books was very minor (Gaal Dornick) which is fine but she also sounds dumbed down.

If they did any gender-swapping at all, that is indication that license was taken elsewhere in the story and therefore turns me off. The Foundation series is one of my favorite set of stories. I feared that Childhood's End would not be done well, but they did an excellent job and did not swap anyone or introduce outside agenda. This one I think will not be so lucky. Plus, I am not going to get Apple TV.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well I found out they also race and gender swapped Salvor Hardin. Even worse, she is running around with a gun....

I'm out. I guess they just are retconning out the entire essence of Hardin, which was accomplishing goals WITHOUT violence.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well I found out they also race and gender swapped Salvor Hardin. Even worse, she is running around with a gun....

I'm out. I guess they just are retconning out the entire essence of Hardin, which was accomplishing goals WITHOUT violence.
i probably wont watch it or anything on APPLE TV

website states its available on ROKU but I can't find it in the channel library--doesn't seem to be much of a loss anyhow

Shadow Mann

Staff member
i probably wont watch it or anything on APPLE TV

website states its available on ROKU but I can't find it in the channel library--doesn't seem to be much of a loss anyhow
Apple is going to try to get exclusives if I read my Apple right. They won't want anything they can't completely control. If they were smart, they would pay license fees to WB and Disney and stream their libraries too. A sort of amalgam service like Netflix. The one-stop streaming services ala Disney+ and Paramount+ are not gonna fly. HBO Max works because it pays for licensing. AppleTV should go that route IMO.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Apple is going to try to get exclusives if I read my Apple right. They won't want anything they can't completely control. If they were smart, they would pay license fees to WB and Disney and stream their libraries too. A sort of amalgam service like Netflix. The one-stop streaming services ala Disney+ and Paramount+ are not gonna fly. HBO Max works because it pays for licensing. AppleTV should go that route IMO.
i am not really interested in it, but it is odd

my tv is on the list, and ROKU themselves say APPLE TV is available, yet in the channel library all that comes up is an apple screensaver

1618436171349.png

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Apple TV is an odd duck. The content quality is all over the place. Some of it (like See) is just idiotic while they also did some pretty cool things (like paying to acquire the first run rights to Tom Hanks film Greyhound and putting it on their channel for no extra charge - that is one good thing about their service; there are no hidden charges). Plus, the service name causes confusion as their streaming box is also named Apple TV.

This whole area is one place in Apple's product offerings where they seem muddled. The streaming box is a VERY powerful one with hardware that runs rings around the rest and it has a decent selection of apps and services. The service itself is like a red headed stepchild.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Apple TV is an odd duck. The content quality is all over the place. Some of it (like See) is just idiotic while they also did some pretty cool things (like paying to acquire the first run rights to Tom Hanks film Greyhound and putting it on their channel for no extra charge - that is one good thing about their service; there are no hidden charges). Plus, the service name causes confusion as their streaming box is also named Apple TV.

This whole area is one place in Apple's product offerings where they seem muddled. The streaming box is a VERY powerful one with hardware that runs rings around the rest and it has a decent selection of apps and services. The service itself is like a red headed stepchild.
Its a shame, because Apple has so much money that they could really jump into the streaming wars and be a contender. Their problem, as always, is their insistence that they control ALL aspects of the service from access, to granular charging for things on different levels. I see them going with Disney's model where there is a base price and then more on top of that for "premium" content or early access. That model turns consumers off. I think HBO Max has the best business model, even though Netflix's model made it the leader. I think time did that too. They were the first of their kind.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well so far Apple TV has avoided the extra charges for premium content bit. They have consistently been one price gets you everything.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

turns out my roku tv was too old. it was from the same year TCL started making ROKU TV's! so old..

it just wasn't accepting updates anymore. things were happening like just trying to adjust the volume were making YT or netflix glitch out to homescreen or system reboot!!

so got a new one.. much better, and it has apple on the list of course. i have been watching TED LASSO

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
well ,FOUNDATION came out yesterday with 2 eps

i started watching it, but i fell asleep twice!! now, i was tired, so i will try again :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I am hesitant to watch, as it looks like it deviates a LOT from the books.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I am hesitant to watch, as it looks like it deviates a LOT from the books.
like the EXPANSE i never read these books, so i do not have that knowledge to prejudice me. but i get it, thats why i had to stop watching THE LAST KINGDOM

i watched ep 1 last night and did not fall asleep! from what i have seen so far, without the experience of the books, it seems like a "so far, so good" type of thing. Lee Pace is excellent as always.

i have read in stories about the series that Lucas took some inspiration for SW's from Asimov and FOUNDATION. can def be seen in the --Coruscant as Trantor-- set up

the Trantor planet to space station "spine"- the tether or space elevator, i thought was a great depiction of what is possible in our future- though maybe not in such a grand scale

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well two episodes of utter crap. WAY too many story changes and the character of Gaal is WAY too important and being given "chosen one" vibes. The clone Emperor idea is stupid and undermines the overall story as does even having the character of Denzareel. This to me felt very disrespectful and demeaning to Asimov's work.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well two episodes of utter crap. WAY too many story changes and the character of Gaal is WAY too important and being given "chosen one" vibes. The clone Emperor idea is stupid and undermines the overall story as does even having the character of Denzareel. This to me felt very disrespectful and demeaning to Asimov's work.
like i said, never read these asimov books, but i get where you are coming from. why i had to stop watching LAST KINGDOM, why I get intense when i watch stuff on history that is so bent away from the actual history-- too much distortion

i did read the wiki on the book series, and i can see that the show is much diff from the books. i don't see how a series could ever contain what the books do? I know things can stay much truer to the original intent and storyline, i dont know why writers of today have to rearrange things so much

i also read where in the later FOUNDATION books written, Asimov 'unified' the Foundation literary 'universe' with that of several other of his works, putting them all into the same future history of Earth/Humanity... how does one make THAT into a tv show?

are any of these TV characters in the books? i see from the book wiki that there are 2 Foundations established by Seldon--could that be where that Rach guy is sending Galle in the escape pod? whatever.... idk, but again, i get what you are saying. if i rad the books, i probably would not even have tuned in at all :)

couple things on the tv bit:

i know asimov did cover anti science in some of the short stories of his i read, is the anti science of Galle's home word shown in the show also in the book?

whatever that case- i see the inclusion of this- mentioned so often "burned the universities, rejected science and math, math is a crime.." to be an intentional mirror of recent real world events. if asimov had this in his books, is this exaggerated in the show due to IRL events?

i see her planet's people as being science deniers and also being 100% "minority (per IRL)" as an issue that I don't know how made it on screen in today's SJW climate! :)

In the books, is there a general suspicion of science by the population of the empire, including the emperor, as shown in the show? to me, the people seem more content to be 'end users' of tech rather then to actually know how to use science and math. not as extreme as Galle's homeworld, but it is there

thanks

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Gaal Dornick was race and gender swapped as was Salvor Hardin. Also Hardin is the elected mayor of Terminus city and NOT a contemporary of Dornick. All of the soap opera style stuff was not present, there were no clone emperors and a KEY point was that at the time of Seldon's trial there were no signs whatsoever outwardly of collapse. This is just a bad woke soap opera misappropriating names and such from the books.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Again, having NOT read the books, another thing I have noticed in general about how this is being made. And, its not just this show

Its like in some pitch meeting way before pre-production, some exec said "make me a hit like NuBSG!"

another words, do as we know, a "happy accident" that led to allowing TPTBs of nu BSG to pull production and writing chaos out of their asses and somehow make it work (this is only following the positive viewpoint- if you didn't like nuBSG you probably wont get my point) and produced a unique and great show

then everyone tried to copy that chaos- which, how do you do exactly? we got SGU and all other kinds of disasters as a result. And this is trying a bit of that

its a big rush job on character development and exposure. the "who are they" of the characters. Like TPTB's want us to be as invested in and care as much about Gaal Dornick and Salvor Hardin by EP 5 of S1 as we were about BSG's Kara Thrace by S4 or The 100's Clarke by S5

it just doesn't work.

its entertaining and a visual spectacle, but you can't shake the feeling they are trying hard to copy the format and achieve the positive fan outcomes of other shows like NuBSG and The 100. 2 shows that achieved fan success but not on purpose. they got lucky