Flotsam and Jetsam

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The one time they made dinner at home for me and some friends it was obvious that they don't use their kitchen much. They treated it like it was a room they didn't know they had. They did admit to eating out "a lot" which I took to mean every night of the week. Personally I don't understand such a dining regimen of relying on others for daily sustenance, but if it works for them then fine. At least that way they can have their neurotic needs met.

I agree with you on the bottled water chick. That's just crazy behavior on her part.

The point of telling you about my bottled water friend is that I took a stance of "my place, my rules" instead of bending to her (IMO unreasonable) demands. Tap water is probably perfectly okay to drink, but even I will filter it in my Brita pitchers before drinking it, just to add a layer of purity. But that is not good enough for her? What exactly does she think she is getting in her bottled water? FILTERED TAP. Its freakin water, okay? Remember, I am a man who has learned how to evaporate urine to purify it for drinking! Im not going to cowtow to some demand for bottled water.

The couple and the unused kitchen...dead giveaway for eat-outers. Just LOL! My kitchen is clean, but one look at my pans and utensils tells you I use them all a LOT. My spices are all opened and in various levels of empty. That is the other clue...unopened spices and packages of old pasta which were never opened. :) Or, no olive oil (or worse, an unopened bottle, with dust on it). Tell them that they are making it inconvenient to serve them dinner, and tell them why. Be honest with the picky one and tell him that he is being unreasonable.

Last edited:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
When having guests over for a meal I ask them if they are allergic to anything - i.e. peanuts, strawberries- the things you need an epipen for. If they have a make beleive allergy like gluten (not very many have celiac disease :rolleyes: and yes if they have disease why then no gluten. ) too bad. But then most of the people I know are pretty down-to-earth and not into food fads. ;)

interesting article on food allergies: http://www.today.com/health/allergy-myths-busted-guess-what-you-didnt-know-about-gluten-8C11545200

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
When having guests over for a meal I ask them if they are allergic to anything - i.e. peanuts, strawberries- the things you need an epipen for. If they have a make beleive allergy like gluten (not very many have celiac disease :rolleyes: and yes if they have disease why then no gluten. ) too bad. But then most of the people I know are pretty down-to-earth and not into food fads. ;)

interesting article on food allergies: http://www.today.com/health/allergy-myths-busted-guess-what-you-didnt-know-about-gluten-8C11545200

Exactly. I have a problem with dietary vegans, in terms of hanging out with them. They need to eat in places where they have a wide variety of vegan dishes, and I dont have a problem eating out with them in their restaurants, but when I want to eat steak or even chicken, I have to not invite them. The vegan couple I know had a vegan wedding reception (blecch :smiley-015:). No wedding cake??? It was awful. It was two years ago and their non-vegan friends are still hating on that experience! They took a picture of each other feeding a celery stick with dip on it (her in her wedding dress, him dressed as groom). The silly part of it is that they had a dog, and the dog got sick from eating a vegan dog diet so they had to put it up for adoption. I also ask guests about gluten or nut allergies. I do not use dairy milk and all my milk is nut based. But I do use heavy cream in cooking and sometimes in a pinch I will go half water/half cream.

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Why is the man in the background sweeping the air??? :daniel_new004:

upDN4bP.gif

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
There's "disparaging" and then there's "just plain wrong". Justin Bieber does not have a homosexual following. And even if you said it as a joke it wasn't funny.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not overly sensitive to gay jokes, in fact, I can rip on the queens better than anyone, but in this case your comment falls flat. Trust me, there are much better ways to make fun of "The Beebs" than to equate him with homosexuality.

*Incidentally, I'm convinced that one of the Jonas brothers is gay. This one, Joe Jonas (he just screams "Big queen!"):

Joe-Jonas-the-jonas-brothers-9189597-478-712.jpg

Aside from the Jonas brother who got married, one of the Jonas brothers stopped wearing his purity ring because he was sleeping with his girlfriend (at least according to RedEye w/Greg Gutfeld). Does Joe Jonas still wear the ring?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Trucker Bombs for all!!!!

I changed the video because at the end, it was hawking one of those water "ionizers" which are also ripoffs. :) Tap water is okay to drink...it has to be, by law. Filtering it is harmless, but it does not purify the water. And guess what? Purified and distilled water is UNNATURAL. It lacks the minerals and even the biological components that natural water has (yes, the bacteria). Those vitamins we take, and the supplements are all adding back what we would get if our food was in the wild and we had dirt on it. Water in the natural world runs over minerals and dissolves them in the water. Nature's vitamin/mineral supplements. So, Im not sayingn to add dirt to the water or your food, but to demand "pure" water is over the top IMO.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

The article mentioned the possibility of a wheat allergy, but the allergy is to a protein in wheat that is not gluten.

The reason why these people feel different after avoiding gluten is that they are forced to avoid nearly all starch.

I tend to avoid eating at other people's houses because I won't eat chicken.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Aside from the Jonas brother who got married, one of the Jonas brothers stopped wearing his purity ring because he was sleeping with his girlfriend (at least according to RedEye w/Greg Gutfeld). Does Joe Jonas still wear the ring?

I honestly don't know much about the Jonas brothers and what I do is gleaned from a cursory viewing of bad "entertainment" TV and Internet reports. I find such things fascinating only in that the existence of these creatures makes no sense to me so that piques my curiosity. As it is I couldn't name them by their first names and literally had to look up the name of the gay one that I was talking about. Turns out his name is "Joe" and if he isn't gay then I'm not gay -- and I'm pretty sure I'm gay. ;)

As it is I find it funny (and a bit sad) that obviously gay guys like Joe Jonas and Taylor Lautner are considered heart throbs by millions of young girls. I guess hope springs eternal (along with self-delusion), go figure.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The article mentioned the possibility of a wheat allergy, but the allergy is to a protein in wheat that is not gluten.

The reason why these people feel different after avoiding gluten is that they are forced to avoid nearly all starch.

I tend to avoid eating at other people's houses because I won't eat chicken.

How come? Do you eat other meat? I don't eat pork outside of VERY crisp bacon. I do not eat anything with pork products in it such as "meat" sausages, "all meat" franks or casseroles with a combination of "meat" (without specifying beef). But I will eat the hell out of some bacon. :) Also, I do not eat any "game" meats like venison, rabbit, squirrel, possum, duck (yep, hate the oily texture of it), peasant, etc. I have my reasons which I will not print here because of those who do eat those things.

Why wont you eat chicken?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
How come? Do you eat other meat? I don't eat pork outside of VERY crisp bacon. I do not eat anything with pork products in it such as "meat" sausages, "all meat" franks or casseroles with a combination of "meat" (without specifying beef). But I will eat the hell out of some bacon. :) Also, I do not eat any "game" meats like venison, rabbit, squirrel, possum, duck (yep, hate the oily texture of it), peasant, etc. I have my reasons which I will not print here because of those who do eat those things.

Why wont you eat chicken?

Well OM1, can't blame you for not wanting to eat "peasant" now can I? :icon_rotflmao:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well OM1, can't blame you for not wanting to eat "peasant" now can I? :icon_rotflmao:

Pheasant? :) Not sure how to spell it but I was served that scrawny bird at a Lebanese barbeque (along with lamb) and I freakin hated it. I thought I was eating grilled sparrow or Blue Jay. All bones and no meat, and the meat that was there was gamey and oily. I like chicken and turkey and occasionally Guinea fowl (if you dont know, you need to try it :)).

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Pheasant? :) Not sure how to spell it but I was served that scrawny bird at a Lebanese barbeque (along with lamb) and I freakin hated it. I thought I was eating grilled sparrow or Blue Jay. All bones and no meat, and the meat that was there was gamey and oily. I like chicken and turkey and occasionally Guinea fowl (if you dont know, you need to try it :)).

Yeah I know-typo. I was hoping you would go along with it. Was going to ask if you like your peasant before or after you let them eat cake?

I am not a big fan of wild game either. The best is venison or bear as sausage, and that's pushing it. The best wild stuff is fish (freshwater) IMO.